Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Any other women who put on muscle ridiculously easily? page 11

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It's not like you have to choose one over the other as far as power or weight lifting goes. The starting strength program includes one power lift (power cleans) to help with power and speed. No reason you couldn't add olympic lifts to your strength routine.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

happybunny is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    Yes I'm sorry I had you confused with the OP in terms of not wanting to look bulky.
    Just to clarify, I'm actually not opposed to having "bulkier" muscles Like I said, Stacie is awesome. My interest in what you call explosive movements is more because I agree that it might be more useful in daily life.

I do really appreciate the way you've taken time to clarify your points. You've contributed a lot of great information to the thread.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happybunny View Post
    Just to clarify, I'm actually not opposed to having "bulkier" muscles Like I said, Stacie is awesome. My interest in what you call explosive movements is more because I agree that it might be more useful in daily life.
    I agree. I'm more into "functional fitness" and it seems to me the more explosive movements are more useful than the regular lifting heavy stuff.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    As a mother of a 6 yo who likes being carried from time to time as a game, including upstairs, and who shops for a family of 3 once a week, including bulk bags and boxes of fruit and veggies, I gotta tell you, the heavy lifting stuff comes in handy when you can barely feel 20# or can carry 60 lbs kiddo around without giving it another thought.

Explosive stuff unfortunately very injury prone, at least for someone as clumsy as I am. Not sure how a snatch or a jerk helps in real life, tbh. Unless you play sports, obviously!

P.S: started x-fit workouts yesterday. Their nutritional recommendations put me back into weight loss bordering on starvation zone (1390 cals with 105 g protein, 105 g carb and 50 g fat), so upon consideration I decided to ignore it.
    Last edited by Leida; 02-16-2013 at 05:17 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Mldami is offline Senior Member
    I always joke around that I go into a Hulk phase...where my muscle mass is increasing, while my body fat is stagnant. It is a phase that sucks for me. But I always do it. I bulk, then lean out, then bulk, then lean out. I still have a LONG way to go. But, at 23% BF, my goal weight would be 175lbs. And I am only 5'4". From June- Jan, My weight didn't change a lb, but my body fat % dropped 14.6%. I also dropped a size. I want some of those lbs to drop too. But they will. Slow and steady. My muscle tissue is just dense. My son is the same way, as are my brothers. When my bro recently had surgery, his surgeon told him his muscle tissue was so dense compared to most people. It is just how we are built. Little, dense, heavy people. Hahaha.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mldami View Post
    I always joke around that I go into a Hulk phase...where my muscle mass is increasing, while my body fat is stagnant. It is a phase that sucks for me. But I always do it. I bulk, then lean out, then bulk, then lean out. I still have a LONG way to go. But, at 23% BF, my goal weight would be 175lbs. And I am only 5'4". From June- Jan, My weight didn't change a lb, but my body fat % dropped 14.6%. I also dropped a size. I want some of those lbs to drop too. But they will. Slow and steady. My muscle tissue is just dense.
    This is my experience, too. When I overeat protein, the weight I put on appears to be muscle, though it may be weeks before I experience a corresponding increase in strength.

That's one thing I always try to do - to eat much more protein than is recommended (i.e. 1.5 g/lb of lbm rather than 1). Takes discipline though.

Trying cross-fit. That many sets-reps will probably stimulate the growth, though I have to modify to the shameful girly versions I did not do in ages to get the number of reps they post - my level is dirty unwashed masses rather than elite, lol. I am concerned though about the absence of heavy work, and will be adding heavy lifts once I get the workouts I can't do (rope, rings, whatever). They also don't seem to have any rest days, but I will take one once I am exhausted. I am also adding 20-30 min cardio to what they have, Lyle imo being right about that womanly need. I kindda like it that every workout you do something different.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    That's one thing I always try to do - to eat much more protein than is recommended (i.e. 1.5 g/lb of lbm rather than 1). Takes discipline though.

Trying cross-fit. That many sets-reps will probably stimulate the growth, though I have to modify to the shameful girly versions I did not do in ages to get the number of reps they post - my level is dirty unwashed masses rather than elite, lol.
    modifications are great; don't feel embarassed by that. Once you get comfortable with the movements and good form you can increase your intensity; one point of scaling workouts is to allow everyone to maximize their intensity -- whether it's lifting, a metcon etc.

I am concerned though about the absence of heavy work, and will be adding heavy lifts once I get the workouts I can't do (rope, rings, whatever).
    cool! Here's a strength-biased crossfit program: CrossFit Strength
    You can hunt around there for workouts with the equipment you have.
    Also I recommend you download the iphone/ipad app "WODGenius" -- it was developed by a friend of mine. It creates crossfit workouts based on the equipment that you have readily available. It would be perfect for you.

They also don't seem to have any rest days, but I will take one once I am exhausted. I am also adding 20-30 min cardio to what they have, Lyle imo being right about that womanly need. I kindda like it that every workout you do something different.
    crossfit.com does program rest days - it's three days of work per rest day. As a newb I would recommend doing two days on and one day off. The rest is very important. That is what gives your CNS and body time to recover and allows you to perform at higher intensity.
    ad astra per aspera

Nope, they did not have a single rest day since last Friday I started their WODs. That's 4 days, and when I scrolled back, the rest day was on Tuesday, 02 February. Either they missed a few or whatever. At any rate, I am pretty good at figuring out when no gym is better than gym.

There are actually rings at random intervals at our rec centre, but no rope. But we have a stick wall (board with holes and two pegs) and a climbing wall with self-belay and an aquatic climbing wall which imo should work instead of a rope. Where there is will, there are ways....

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011