Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Any other women who put on muscle ridiculously easily? page 10

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    What do you think about the traditional hypertrophy lifting, FatCat? In other words 4 sets of ~ 8 reps or to failure? I keep toying with trying it to see if I can cause the hoped for explosion. I looked at the German Volume Training, and I can't do that - 10 sets I will be lifting the broomstick to get it done. I was working the relatively easy strength protocol lately (10 reps, 3 as close to max as possible and 7-8 to failure), but I am really lusting after the muscular hypertrophy, so I figured, why not try to work for it specifically then? Now, I know there is always the shaming about looking strong vs being strong, and stuff, but training for strength did not give me the muscular size I am after.... Does the pump training really work for women?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    What do you think about the traditional hypertrophy lifting, FatCat? In other words 4 sets of ~ 8 reps or to failure? I keep toying with trying it to see if I can cause the hoped for explosion. I looked at the German Volume Training, and I can't do that - 10 sets I will be lifting the broomstick to get it done. I was working the relatively easy strength protocol lately (10 reps, 3 as close to max as possible and 7-8 to failure), but I am really lusting after the muscular hypertrophy, so I figured, why not try to work for it specifically then? Now, I know there is always the shaming about looking strong vs being strong, and stuff, but training for strength did not give me the muscular size I am after.... Does the pump training really work for women?
    Well I think hypertrophy is completely against your goals of not looking "bulky" since the whole point of hypertrophy training is to add mass.

Can you please link a photo of a female who looks like you want to ("but I am really lusting after the muscular hypertrophy") so that we are on the same page in terms of goals?

I still advise that until you lean out considerably- (~20% body fat?) you won't be looking the way you probably want to in regards to "muscularly fit". You will look "bulky" (but as previously discussed not on account of muscle/strength gained via training but the fat sitting on top of it).

I will tell you that in order to become stronger 80% of 1 rep max @5 reps is a typical standard for novice athletes. 8-12 reps is definitely hypertrophy training as is training to failure. And we should both understand that regardless of the number of reps in a set - the last couple should be incredibly hard to complete. So if you are doing 10 reps at a light weight or 5 at a heavier weight, the last few should be very hard. If they aren't then the weight you are using is too light.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-15-2013 at 08:38 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

I don't have the picture, but I want a pronounced deltoid. A bump that stands out even without flexing an arm. I am not worried about looking bulky or not bulky. I want the visible delts. Something like that (just for the shoulder, not the abs). Because I am a pear, with narrow shoulders, I thought that HT might be the only way to make the delt pop out. Simply reducing BF just gives me the smooth arms most women have unless flexed.

tumblr_m4688nKWDa1rw1pf2o1_500.jpg

Then I will worry about cutting a touch on the belly fat, and I am not gonna even try to lose thigh fat ever again. I tried cutting fat before, and it was too early - I did not like the size of the UB I had at the time.

Yes, my last rep is always hard - but without the loss of form. That is why I do not target the magic repetition number, but a range of repetitions per set any more - if I can't get them all, I can't, if I can go one or two more - I would.
    Last edited by Leida; 02-15-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Yes I'm sorry I had you confused with the OP in terms of not wanting to look bulky.

I can't see the picture you put there (it's better to upload to a site like ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting and then paste a link because there are not admins on this forum that approve pictures - so they are forever pending and no one can view them).

However I think I know what you are going for after glancing at your journal a bit yesterday. I think what you should do in order to get the look that you want as an already slenderish lady who is physically active is.... crossfit. It will literally transform your body and even out your self-described imabalances (hips/shoulders). You will get leaner and you will get stronger and you will get fitter. If you can go in the mornings after waking up before eating your results will be multiplied. If you are eating paleo they will also be multiplied. I searched your journal for references to "crossfit" and couldn't find any. This is the missing piece to your athletic and aesthetic training you've been trying to find for a while. I promise.
    ad astra per aspera

Heh, no, I won't go to a specific cross-fit facility. If there is somewhere an idea to what the heck Cross-fit is as aregimen, I can replicate it in the recreation facility I use. If not, I can't do Cross-fit. I just don't know what cross-fit is.

you can do the workouts in your home gym if you have one.

Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness

an alternative is bodeefit, a website and program developed by a friend of mine:

https://bodeefit.com/

look at the workouts and movement demonstrations. Do this in the morning when you wake up (at maximum intensity). That will take you a loooong way in absence of crossfit (and barbell workouts).
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-15-2013 at 09:47 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

Why not, I can try that. I don't always have an option to workout the first thing, since the gym is not opened till 5:30 am, and I normally start work at 6 am, but I will do early afternoon. Don't see much swimming there, but I can throw it in with skating, I am sure it's not gonna hurt. I am not particularly interested in leaning out right now, but as long as CF doesn't shred muscle the way boot camps do I am game. Not gonna say no to 6 days a week in a gym.

The magic is in the intensity. Better intensity -- better results.
    ad astra per aspera

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    generally - yeah. I want to emphasize that powerlifters also have 'efficient' muscles - in that they are recruiting a high % of their muscle fibers and that they are strong as hell. They would probably have advantages over weightlifters in the realm of strongman style movements as these require massive strength ; the best strongmen will also be the most powerful (because they will be able to perform their tasks, event objectives the fastest).

The weightlifter trains to perform for only a few instants (the duration of how long it takes to clean, jerk, snatch). The duration of a powerlifter's work is longer ie It takes much longer to perform a squat at 100% capacity than a snatch or jerk. The training of each as well as muscle adaptations are therefore different.

Here's a little image

Which of these athletes *look* stronger? Which of these athletes *are* stronger?

*not* heavier. The muscle itself is no denser or heavier, at most they are more efficient - meaning that neurologically they are adapted to fire faster, more muscle fibers -- but the muscle ounce for ounce weighs the same. The difference between the two is that the bodybuilder is not training to be stronger or more powerful, he is training for more muscle *mass* - strength and power athletes are not attempting (solely like the bodybuilder) to add as much mass as possible, but rather be stronger, more powerful. There does reach the point where in order to become more powerful, stronger additional muscle mass is needed.

er... that is a little too hyptothetical for my taste and no - additional range of motion for the sake of range of motion I would argue isn't as efficacious as training the universal strength and power facilitators: the core, the hips and legs. Raising a kettlebell behind your ear with one arm won't make you stronger than someone who instead spends their time squatting; the reverse actually. Though you will be much better at raising a kettlebell behind an ear than they will be.

I will say that weightlifters have tremendous mobility. Try doing this. Or this.
    Cheers for all that info dude - it clarified a lot.

Doesn't surprise me at all that weightlifters have great mobility - I think the first bloke I saw doing the straddle splits was a weightlifter!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you for the advice and the links.

I had problems before with the intensity, doing stuff like J. Michael's workouts and boot camps - shredded upper body like no tomorrow. That was light weight/high rep though and I was trying to eat <1400 cals a day (to loose weight). I checked out the website, and they say to start slow at first, just to complete workout. So, I will try that, see if I can keep up. Heh, I guess that's what you get for asking what Cross-fit is. I am a bit worried because I am clumsy and slow, so it might not be the best fit for me, but no need to worry before trying stuff out.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast