Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please HELP with wheat withdrawal page

Traderjodie is offline Junior Member

Please HELP with wheat withdrawal

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

I was doing a wonderful job of eating primally and feeling wonderful. Then Hurricane Sandy hit and we had to stay in a place where we were only offered pasta for meals. I tried to find a way to keep going but could not. I have not been able to get back since. Every day I wake up and make a good breakfast of bacon and eggs and swear that I will be able to do this but by the evening I'm like a junkie, rummaging through the house and eating every suger/wheat laden food I can grab. I can't seem to stop. Its like wrestling with demons. I don't think I can spend all my nights like this. I don't know why its so hard this time.

I am eating good fats -- whole eggs, fatty meats etc. Please if you have any suggestions, I'm feeling a little desperate and defeated.

Thanks!

-Jodie

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Donate all your non-primal foods. Can't eat it if it's not in the house.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Owen is offline Senior Member
    For me the thing that's helped the most in terms of diverting the cravings for junk food has been bananas, dates and dark chocolate. I know you have to limit these foods as well but they're more satisfying.

Stratford_Man is offline Junior Member
    Yep, rid the house of it. We did that January 2nd, and found the cravings for sweets were gone in a couple of days.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I've had a long habit of eating bread toasted with cheese, or chocolate, or both, and cookies, etc., to help with sleep. I'm a natural grazer and that makes it worse. What has helped me is learning in more detail the bad effects this has on my body. Last time I went into an office and saw a woman eating a muffin. It was hard not to say to her "think of what you're doing to your body". I didn't say it, but I do think of it whenever I see food.

Traderjodie is offline Junior Member
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I should have said in the original post that the rest of my family is NOT primal or low carb and is not going to join me, at least not in the near future. So for the moment at least, wheat based products are staying. I need to find a way to fight the urge to graze even though I know everything is within arms reach.

Thanks everyone!

sunsis is offline Member
    have you tried having things like nuts and dark chocolate around to graze on instead? chicken wings in the fridge with some hot sauce? honestly the only way i got through the first week of intense carb withdrawal and cravings was dark chocolate and macadamia nuts. not the best for weight loss, but definitely helped me with the headaches and cravings i was getting. one night my headache was so bad i couldnt move my head and husband was very worried and thinking of taking me to the emergency room. wheat-headache it seems. i was 10000% better the next day.

happybunny is offline Member
    My first two weeks sugar/wheat-free required me to drink copious amounts of jasmine tea. The jasmine gave me enough of a sweet sensation that I could get by (in combination with a lot of raw almonds). But I've cheated so now I'm going through it again

KrisGunnars is offline Junior Member
    You should do some reading on food addiction. It's not physiological hunger that is driving your need for wheat, it is your brain's reward system calling for something to stimulate it.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to try to avoid these products completely, otherwise they will get a grip on you and it will be hard to stop eating them.

Try to keep these foods out of sight if you can, too bad you can't just toss them out because that would probably best. The book "The End of Overeating" has some great tips on this.

Getting back on the wagon is tough as hell. I don't think there is any easy way to do that. I can definitely relate to how you feel, I've been there myself more often than I care to remember.
    My site: Authority Nutrition - My Twitter: @AuthNutrition

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Make every primal meal count. Everything you eat should be top quality and extremely satisfying. It should feel like decadent splurge, not just something you eat to fend off the binge demon.

Nothing renews my primal resolve better than a few days of steak and a big ass salad with avocado and bacon, and butter by the spoonful.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast