Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please HELP with wheat withdrawal page 2

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I find that keeping a bag of Terra chips around helps with cravings for bad things. Can't say about wheat specifically because I'm celiac and was so happy to give it up and not have people ask me if I had cancer anymore (yes, that actually happened).

Traderjodie is offline Junior Member
    Hi everyone,

I have made some real progress since I first posted. I thought I would share in case anyone else out there is struggling. The key for me was stumbling across the work of Stephan Guyenet. He talks about the affect of hyperpalitablity of certain foods and how those foods can trigger cravings and overeating. He also talks about the affects of combinations of foods. Even though each ingredient may be fine, when put together, the food takes on a life of its own. For me this explains why a plain baked potatoe or a plain stick of butter won't do anything for me, but put them together and i will end up gobbling until I hurt and scrounging for more....of anything!

Basically, I kept triggering myself with foods I considered paleo safe. (Nuts, good cheese, etc.) I just refused to believe that they could be triggering me the way sugar did. But, I understand now that whether or not a food is "paleo" or "low carb" is not the only question. If it triggers me, its out! So I have started concentrating on whole foods that actually satisfy me. A food should make me feel full and content, not crazed and licking the plate! This has helped tremendously. I have to experiment a little to figure out what those foods are. But I definitely feel more in control and so much more satisfied.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

murf73 is offline Senior Member
    What I would do is make in the morning a big chocolate coconut smoothie and everytime I was tempted to eat junk
    I would sip some of it. The fat and the sweetness of it should help manage cravings:
    1 can coconut milk
    1 frozen banana cut in chunks
    2 tbs cocoa powder
    1 tsp honey
    1 tsp cinnamon
    Blend all together in a blender.
    I hope you can jump back on the wagon soon! We're rooting for you!

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you got a handle on it,
    I suppose that's one of the key lessons that there is sugar in our dna programming and you can reduce the addiction, but it will always be there, and ofcourse the psychology thing.

I still find myself licking the plate, just can't seem to waste a good bit of bacon fat.

Traderjodie is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah bacon fat is yummy! Especially covered with egg yolk!

I have also found that I do much better on two larger meals then on several smaller ones. Those small snack size meals never seemed to satisfy me and always left me impatient to eat again. It took a while to give myself permission to eat a big, delicious breakfast. But doing so leaves me satisfied for hours and hours. I have decided that I really hate snacking. Maybe its psychological, but those small meals just keep me obsessing over food all day long.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12