Thread: Going to leave my skin and hair alone! My first N=1 Exp. page

Taggy G is offline Junior Member

Going to leave my skin and hair alone! My first N=1 Exp.

Shop Now
    I was inspired by YogaBare's posts on going shampoo-less and skin ph and otherwise ridding my life of all crazy cosmetics and body/skin/hair care products that are just ridiculous. Thanks to their posts and the replies of many other users, I plan to go as long as I can without using any conventional body/skin/hair along with a totally primal/paleo diet to see for myself if my body can maintain itself like I think it can. And use apple cider vinegar for any hair washing and natural oils for my hair as well as my body when it does need to be cleaned.
    After all, I find it really hard to believe that humans were these filthy nasty mongrels before soap and shampoo. There has to be a reason for all of our body oils. I don't think our oils are filth/dirt. I think that they are there much like they are there for many other species. To keep hair/fur and skin healthy and clean.

My last shower with some "hippie" soap and Aveeno shampoo and conditioner was 2 days ago. Today I plan to tear my town apart for some all natural oils such as jojoba and avocado and caster oil for facial cleansing.

I gladly welcome any comments, tips, advice, or links from anyone

I sure hope I don't stink too much in the next few weeks x_x
    Starting weight: 206 lbs in June 2012
    Goal weight: 135 lbs
    Current weight: 187bs Feb 9th, 2013

The funny thing about getting on and off the wagon for me is, I either dive on or dive off. There is no nice and easy. All or nothing.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Good for you

Different things work for different people though, so be prepared that you may need to N=1 a lot before you find the right combination of factors for you. For example, castor oil is heavily touted as an optimal oil to cleanse with, but it's waaaay too drying for my skin. Baking soda in the hair only seems to work for those whose hair is quite oily. Etc.!

Keep us posted on what you discover
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Suggestions: honey to wash your face. egg/coconut oil mix once a week for hair. other than that rinse it well with water. vinegar rinse works well too. Good luck! you will be amazed at how undirty you are.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

ulnauy is offline Member
    When I did this it took a week for the oilyness to go away, so don't give up!

Primal Pamme is offline Member

You Will Stink

I stopped using an anti-persperant/deodorant to using a natural deodorant and it took my body a couple of weeks to adjust. I had to use the deodorant a couple of times a day. Then all of a sudden it was fine. There are days I don't use anything and I don't stink.

I massage baking soda into my scalp a couple of times a week and rinse it with beer. My hair is very short so this isn't difficult. My daughter used the beer as a rinse, too, and one morning she called to me from the shower to bring her a beer. I told her, "You might be a redneck if you drink beer in the shower first thing in the morning." It is funny to see her dressed in a bathrobe with her morning grumpy face grab a beer and head for the shower. Anyway, at first I was "washing" my hair every other day, but now I "wash" it only when it needs which is most often every three or four days.

On my face I use a half and half mixture of olive oil and castor oil. I have read if your face is oily you should use more castor oil and if it is dry you should use more olive oil.

I haven't used soap on my body for several months now and I have not had any complaints about smell. Usually in winter the skin on my legs gets very dry, but I have not had this problem at all this year. My elbows don't get dry anymore either.
    Last edited by Primal Pamme; 02-09-2013 at 02:49 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yes, it is true.

i personally do honey-washing (face) once a week, oil the rest of the time; baking soda on hair (after swimming/1x week), and i'm working on honey-lightening for that (with honey/coconut oil which lightens and conditions).

I really only use soap for after toilet and before cooking.