Thread: Considering Primal for Health Issues page

ab790 is offline Junior Member

Question Considering Primal for Health Issues

Shop Now
    Hi there,

I've been doing a fair amount of research about diet and health issues for a while now and I seem to keep coming back to this Primal way of eating more and more. Over the past 6 months I feel as though my health has deteriorated somewhat and I have been looking into diet options to try and rectify this. The two most prominent issues are that 1. I have had an increasing number of migraines that are becoming more and more unbearable and 2. I have VERY low energy.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they have suffered with either of these problems and had success with eating primal? Also, I have epilepsy so keeping up the vitamin D and magnesium in my diet is important. Given that eating primal requires reducing grains I am a tad concerned that I may begin to lack magnesium in my diet. I know I can take supplements but I guess I am not completely sold on the idea that they are a good replacement for simply eating high magnesium foods.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

paleodutch is offline Senior Member
    search the forum and the last friday success stories.there are multiple people who have gotten relief from migrane and some from epilepsy , the last through ketosis.

there are also some blogs about magnesium like this one https://www.marksdailyapple.com/5-co...do-about-them/

Primal is not reducing graines, it is quitting graines exept the occasional white rice. But there is loads left to eat

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    You probably are not absorbing the magnesium (if there is any) from your grains any way.

This might be interesting to you HEALTHY DIETS AND SCIENCE: Fibre rich diet results in zinc, copper and magnesium deficiencies

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    I have experienced much relief from migraines since going Primal just over five weeks ago. In fact I have not had any headaches at all.

As far as magnesium goes, Paleo friendly sources of magnesium include Swiss chard, spinach, mustard greens, halibut, turnip greens, pumpkin seeds, sea vegetables, collard greens, salmon, spelt, cucumber, bell peppers, celery, kale, cantaloupe...
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    If you are concerned about magnesium I've tried almost every supplement and the best I've found is Enzymatic Therapy's krebs magnesium-potassium chelates. I've got tinnitus and taking enough magnesium gets rid of it, so I'm fairly certain I'm absorbing more of it than the other brands I have tried.

Enzymatic Therapy, Inc. - Daily Heart Health

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Sidebar please: How much do you take to get rid of your tinnitus?

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    1 to 2 of the magnesium a day and 1 zinc a day. It'll still flare up if I ride the motorcycle too much, but I think that's because I need to get custom earplugs instead of using the disposable foam ones.

You might need less mag, but I'm on antibiotics for Lyme so I need as much as my stomach can tolerate (and I can remember to take).

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    OK, of the list of the 10 top magnesium foods:
    1. Bran (Rice, Wheat, and Oat) - NO
    2. Dried Herbs - YES, it's primal
    3. Squash, Pumpkin, and Watermelon Seeds (Dried or Roasted) - YES, it's primal
    4. Cocoa Powder (Dark Chocolate) - YES, it's primal in small quantities.
    5. Flax, Sesame Seeds, and Sesame Butter (Tahini) - YES, it's primal, but NOT the oils.
    6. Brazil Nuts - YES, it's primal
    7. Sunflower Seeds - YES, it's primal, but not the oil
    8. Almonds and Cashews (Mixed nuts, Pine Nuts) - YES, it's primal
    9. Molasses - YES, it's primal
    10. Dry Roasted Soybeans (Edamame) - NO

So you should be able to eat as much Mg as you had before PB. You can also continue your supplement.