Thread: Considering Primal for Health Issues page

ab790 is offline Junior Member

Question Considering Primal for Health Issues

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi there,

I've been doing a fair amount of research about diet and health issues for a while now and I seem to keep coming back to this Primal way of eating more and more. Over the past 6 months I feel as though my health has deteriorated somewhat and I have been looking into diet options to try and rectify this. The two most prominent issues are that 1. I have had an increasing number of migraines that are becoming more and more unbearable and 2. I have VERY low energy.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they have suffered with either of these problems and had success with eating primal? Also, I have epilepsy so keeping up the vitamin D and magnesium in my diet is important. Given that eating primal requires reducing grains I am a tad concerned that I may begin to lack magnesium in my diet. I know I can take supplements but I guess I am not completely sold on the idea that they are a good replacement for simply eating high magnesium foods.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

smalot is offline Member
    My first concern is the migraines. My partner was having really bad migraines and we found out that she had a blocked artery. So I would definitely check that out more.

With the energy I can help. My energy levels used to go from high to low and I had no control over it. Since doing paleo it has taken around 15 days to get my energy levels feeling constant. So eating paleo has really helped. Also my asthma was really bad and now I can almost chuck my puffer out.

So all I can sat is give it a go. Yes its hard if you love bread, sugar etc but I'm sure you will find the health benefits are well worth it.

Well I hope that has helped.
    Doing my 30 day paleo challenge right now
    www.everydaypaleosolution.com

KrisGunnars is offline Junior Member
    I know paleo/primal can improve both migraines and energy levels. The only way for you to know is to try it, you've got nothing to lose giving it a shot for 30 days.

You can get magnesium from many other foods than grains. Almonds are a great source. There is NO nutrient in grains that you can't get from other foods in greater amounts.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Eating clean, natural, nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory foods is going to make you feel better on many levels. Some of which you hadn't even considered

Have you followed any of the research that says high fat, of not ketogenic, diets are beneficial for epileptics?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ab790 View Post
    Hi there,

I've been doing a fair amount of research about diet and health issues for a while now and I seem to keep coming back to this Primal way of eating more and more. Over the past 6 months I feel as though my health has deteriorated somewhat and I have been looking into diet options to try and rectify this. The two most prominent issues are that 1. I have had an increasing number of migraines that are becoming more and more unbearable and 2. I have VERY low energy.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they have suffered with either of these problems and had success with eating primal? Also, I have epilepsy so keeping up the vitamin D and magnesium in my diet is important. Given that eating primal requires reducing grains I am a tad concerned that I may begin to lack magnesium in my diet. I know I can take supplements but I guess I am not completely sold on the idea that they are a good replacement for simply eating high magnesium foods.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    I have been extremely successful in stopping migraines by going Paleo. I was just writing about it this morning in my diary. I was suffering from very frequent and severe headaches, and have had x-rays, cat scans, cameras in my nose, etc.

I went Paleo on Jan 1, and today was the first headache I've had in 6 weeks, and it is mild.

There are plenty of Paleo/Primal friendly sources of magnesium including pumpkin seeds, spinach, swiss chard, etc. Here's a link to more sources: WHFoods: magnesium the chart at the bottom of the article shows many others.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan