Thread: White Fungus, Wood Ear, Jew Ear, Jelly Ear - Primal? page

yourhopesandfears is offline Junior Member

Red face White Fungus, Wood Ear, Jew Ear, Jelly Ear - Primal?

Primal Fuel
    Hope I didn't throw you off with the title of this post

White fungus and wood ear (the latter also known as "Jew Ear" or "Jelly Ear") are common in a lot of Asian dishes and while it is far from a staple in my diet, I'm just wondering about how primal it is. Usually it comes packaged in bags, and to reconstitute it you have to soak it in water for a few hours. When I do have it, usually it's in soup, but there are many other ways of preparing it as well (stir-fry, desserts, etc.) Here is a recipe of its use as a primary ingredient for a smoothie

cookiemonster is offline Member
    I don't care if it is primal or not, what are the health benefits from these fungi may I ask from your personal experience. Thanks
    Last edited by cookiemonster; 02-09-2013 at 07:14 AM.

It's a food I've more or less grown up with, so I've never really thought about its health benefits. :P According to this site, there seem to be some "antitumor properties attributable to the stimulation of the immune system" by the polysaccharides in the fungi.

canio6 Guest
    They are both naturally growing fungi right? Sounds primal to me.

cookiemonster is offline Member
    Thank you, I'm always on the look out for anything different for nutrition to vary my diet. Sounds delicious and healthy.
    My educated primal guess is that fungi is primal because back back back in the day our ancestors foraged for all types of edible foods in the environment besides prizing animal organs and meat. So edible berries, plants, tubers, and fungi was included in that diet. My two cents.

No problem In my opinion it is somewhat flavorless but has a very unique texture. It's also quite inexpensive and expands a lot in the rehydration process so a little goes a long way!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Dried mushrooms are primal.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by yourhopesandfears View Post
    Hope I didn't throw you off with the title of this post

White fungus and wood ear (the latter also known as "Jew Ear" or "Jelly Ear") are common in a lot of Asian dishes and while it is far from a staple in my diet, I'm just wondering about how primal it is. Usually it comes packaged in bags, and to reconstitute it you have to soak it in water for a few hours. When I do have it, usually it's in soup, but there are many other ways of preparing it as well (stir-fry, desserts, etc.) Here is a recipe of its use as a primary ingredient for a smoothie
    Eat up! I think mushrooms are overlooked by many and they definitely have a place in Primal. The one I use almost daily is called Chaga. Inonotus obliquus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I'd say definitely primal. I'm Asian too and my family has always used mushrooms for cooking, love them. I've been eating tons of king oyster mushrooms lately.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    They sound primal, but if you're in the U.S., read the ingredients list. An awful lot of asian food exported here have added a lot of really bad stuff.