Thread: Xantham gum - use it or not? page

breadsauce is online now Senior Member

Xantham gum - use it or not?

Primal Fuel
    Hi.I'm wanting to make gluten free pastry and I've found a flour here in the UK (Doves Farm gluten free) which I want to use.

A quick google search to find recipes / methods show that most recipes suggest using xantham gum to help the pastry roll out and stick together. Is it a safe substance? Does anyone on these forums use it?

Or have you any other suggestions to help make the pastry adhere nicely - such as using milk kefir instead of water to mix it, or or using beaten egg or whatever.

Thanks.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Xanthan is in almost every gluten-free baking mix my celiac kid uses for her occasional baking, and we have never had any problem with it. It is forbidden on some other diets, though, like the GAPS or the SCD, but these diets are concerned with leaky gut issues, and if you are baking at all, this isn't your concern, though. There is probably some person on the planet allergic to it, just like everything else, but I think you are good to go.

I do not have the gluten-free baking experience to tell you what to substite for it, though, if you decide not to use it.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Warning Too Late for Some Babies - NYTimes.com

This is really only a concern for babies (and more likely just preemies) but I came across this and may as well share it

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    OK thanks for that. I shall buy some!