Thread: raw milk vs non-homogenised milk page

loplop is offline Junior Member

raw milk vs non-homogenised milk

Shop Now
    Hi all,

Been lurking for a while, plucking up the courage to post. I've recently found a source of raw milk (not specified as organic) but it's a bit of a pain to get to. I can easily get hold of organic non-homogenised milk. Is the organic non-homogenised a lot worse than the raw stuff?

Any feedback gratefully received!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    No, it's not worse. I wouldn't be nitpicky about it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Thanks! That's good to hear. Also frees up a little money to spend on steak!

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Hmm well I'd definitely say raw is better. But in a pinch non-homogenised is a big improvement over the pasteurised/homogenised stuff available. I would get raw when I could, but the non-homogenised when I couldn't get raw.

(As it stands, I've NEVER had raw milk, but it seems possible that I will be able to get some in the near future... in the meantime I use non-homogenised when I have to... raw milk is EXTREMELY hard to get here, and it's illegal to buy to drink at all... but there's a "raw bath milk" loophole that does make it at least somewhat possible if you know someone who's selling it).

14emom is offline Member
    Organic non-homogenized is probably the next best thing, but it probably is pasteurized, and that's not that great. If you can get raw, I highly recommend it. Chances are, it probably is organic, or at least naturally fed. I drive and hour and forty five minutes to get my raw milk. It is totally worth it to me. You can make yogurt from it, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese. And butter, and use the cream for your coffee. It's worth it for so many different reasons!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    Hmm well I'd definitely say raw is better. But in a pinch non-homogenised is a big improvement over the pasteurised/homogenised stuff available. I would get raw when I could, but the non-homogenised when I couldn't get raw.

(As it stands, I've NEVER had raw milk, but it seems possible that I will be able to get some in the near future... in the meantime I use non-homogenised when I have to... raw milk is EXTREMELY hard to get here, and it's illegal to buy to drink at all... but there's a "raw bath milk" loophole that does make it at least somewhat possible if you know someone who's selling it).
    I've just moved back to the UK from Melbourne, so I know the difficulties in Aus. Where are you?

14emom, that's quite a drive! Mine isn't that far but the petrol costs don't make it a particularly cheap trip. I guess I could freeze raw milk? I can get the other stuff within a 5 minute walk, so it's much more attractive to have that regularly, and just get the raw milk when I'm going out that way.

14emom is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loplop View Post
    I've just moved back to the UK from Melbourne, so I know the difficulties in Aus. Where are you?

14emom, that's quite a drive! Mine isn't that far but the petrol costs don't make it a particularly cheap trip. I guess I could freeze raw milk? I can get the other stuff within a 5 minute walk, so it's much more attractive to have that regularly, and just get the raw milk when I'm going out that way.
    My neighbor and I take turns going every 6 weeks. Yes, I freeze it. Between the 2 of us we normally get about 35 gallons. And the milk is $2.75/gallon, is organic and grass fed. My kids love it, and when their friends come over they can't wait to drink it too, lol!