Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strength building plan for women?

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by nyhnqxam24 View Post
    New Rules of Lifting for Women.
    Is that a link you posted or something? Because I can't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by 14emom View Post
    Is that a link you posted or something? Because I can't read it.
    It's a book/workout plan. I did the whole program a while ago and it helped me gain 11lbs of lean mass (I'd had no lifting experience before then, so it was beginner's muscle - but that's still good progress!) My only issue was that the workouts took me like 2 hours, and there are so many alternating sets that it seems to go on forever. It was very effective for building muscle, though.

I've just started NRLW and finding it v good

NROL for Women The New Rules of Lifting

Ladies, anyone have any specific thoughts on Starting Strength vs. New Rules? From what I can tell, Starting Strength is good for getting a strong foundation in traditional barbell training, whereas NRLW is more of a particular methodology geared toward women.

I started seriously lifting with Body for Life, but I have found that what I hate about lifting is the time it takes, so I don't do it as often as I should, but, then from what I am reading, you shouldn't have to do it more that a couple of times a week. DH is the proof of that. At 51 and after two cancer surgeries, the last one in May was major abdominal surgery, in the last year and a half and he is cut and his arms are as big as I have ever seen them. He works out twice a week usually and sometimes only once a week depending on how he feels. He is making more gains now than he did when he lifted religiously three or four times a week.

A couple of weeks ago, I ran into a possible answer to my problem. I found Tabata. I have been working out twice a week for the last two weeks using the Tabata method with body weight exercises and I have been as sore as I ever was doing a long lifting workout. Yesterday I cranked out a total of 25 push-ups, 15 assisted pull-ups, 50 squats and 40 kettle ball swings in four minutes and each one of those was more than I was able to do in a longer workout a month ago.

You should also know that I also do a couple of hours of Tai Chi each week along with Yoga stretches.

Quote Originally Posted by BklynGirl View Post
    Ladies, anyone have any specific thoughts on Starting Strength vs. New Rules? From what I can tell, Starting Strength is good for getting a strong foundation in traditional barbell training, whereas NRLW is more of a particular methodology geared toward women.
    Does anyone know how these methods differ from P90X or X2? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by BklynGirl View Post
    I think when you are new it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I chose Starting Strength because it was simple. There were fewer things I would need to learn, fewer pieces of equipment I'd have to fuss with. A few warmups and then lift 3 sets of 5. Add more weight to the bar every time. That just sounded simpler and I was already confused enough. I also looked at Stronglifts, but the 5 sets of 5 looked like it would kill me.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Shop Now
    Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5 are simpler and cut out a lot of fluttering about the gym from a piece of equipment to a piece of equipment. It focuses your efforts. Less lifts per session in my humble is better than more, particularly if your goal is a strength gain. Get thyself ancle weights and go incrementally by a lb a session on UB lifts and 2 lbs for squats with 5 lbs left on the DL. That's fine. Don't worry too much about the progression, concentrate on doing the best you can each time. Try not to lift 4x a week. You are messing your recovery even you are training a different group of muscle.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.