Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's not about the bacon page 2

PrimalWriter is offline Member

My first actual real challenge

Primal Fuel
    Side note: after seeing the titles of some other journals, I wonder if mine is considered sacreligious....(and I'm pretty sure I spelled that wrong....where IS the dictionary?)

Okay, back to topic at hand: a challenge

This is kind of in reaction to how I feel today (at the moment, over-caffeinated and under-hydrated): you know the kind of sleepy you get when you've been crying a lot? That's me. Also lacking much desire to drink water, so I'm, well, five bottles down (I aim for 6 - 16 oz bottles; weight, heat/humidity, and I just feel better if I can get a solid 96 oz in me). I've had, on the other hand, four diet cokes (and yes, when this 12-pack I bought for a potluck and didn't need is gone, I'm weaning myself off diet soda all together). Yesterday was such an emotionally turmoiled day, and then this morning after I posted LOML called and we did need to talk about our relationship, but I spent about half our conversation in tears (poor guy, he doesn't do tears very well, and he got them in buckets from me), again, draining....but except for a few short crying jags today, I'm pretty calm.

So today I'm significantly down in hydration. I'll have to get in some more before bed and that's fine. But I'm down so far I don't think getting back to normal is a good idea--way too much liquid to take in before bedtime.

Specifically, between now and the end of the month (so just over two weeks to build the habit!), I'll drink six bottles of water (96 ounces) each day. I know I have some toxins to flush and I've been retaining water, so ... I do reserve the right to add lemon
    My primal journal: My journey, goals, recipes, random thoughts on primal and SAD.

It's all about the journey. How we get there is at least as important as where we end up.

Dailies, including challenge update

Where'd yesterday go? Oh, right, my computer....(sigh) It's tough being primal in a modern world when the toys don't play nicely. I suppose I should be glad we're not reimagining it all in a Flintstones setting--being modern in a paleo world! Can you imaging a computer going wonky then? (shudders)

So yeah, yesterday. Happily, I'm on vacation still (until Monday), although I'm trying NOT to imagine what next week will look like. I think it's already completely booked. And, sadly, I'm half-hoping for someone else to have a major fail in order to make my life easier, which is just wrong....

I'm off to forage, although I think I can cut my grocery list short by a few items today. Yesterday, by the way, was perfectly primal (ish). Breakfast was an attempt at meat crust quiche--it was not as successful as I wanted, so I'm going to have to reimagine that. Maybe by putting a cookie tray under the pie pan and crimping the sausage over the sides. The problem was the shrinkage was more than I expected, with a full pan, so I'm thinking thinner crust and overhanging sides. It was also kind of heavy, so I may simply go back to crustless and add meat to the filling. However, it made for breakfast yesterday and today, as well as lunch yesterday.

Last night for dinner I went with several friends to a hot-pot restaurant. I added someone's leftovers to my broth at the end of the night (ordering for one apparently still gives you the same broth as ordering for two...I had nearly two quarts left!), so I did get about a half cup (cooked) of rice vermicelli in the leftovers. But....meat broth, slightly spicy (the chilis left in, so it got spicier!), and I ordered beef slices, pork slices, chicken chunks, and napa cabbage. YUMMMMM. I'll skip the chicken next time, though--chicken breast slices are the other option and I'm not crazy about that. Tons of other options, but sorry, I don't see myself as a stomach or tripe kind of girl...

Because there was so much broth, I ordered an extra order of beef strips and brought home nearly 2 quarts of leftovers.

I managed 72 ounces of water. Above the minimum 64, below my ideal 96, but it only got to 67 degrees here yesterday--to my surprise. I had one diet Coke. Does that count as 12 more ounces? Probably not.

Today the foraging actually includes foraging. Sort of. I need ancho chili powder, and can't find it. So I'm hitting up a couple of larger Spanish grocery stores in hopes that they'll have more chilis than the usual (including the one I tried last night). Everything else is at my normal store or at the farmer's market I'll hit tomorrow.
    My primal journal: My journey, goals, recipes, random thoughts on primal and SAD.

It's all about the journey. How we get there is at least as important as where we end up.

Weekly update

Ugh. Went back to work this week and promptly remember why I suck at keeping up with journals and blogs.

This has been a poor week for primal, due to said work week, although until Thursday I at least kept away from fast food, and I mostly only ate when hungry, so I still lost weight. Breakfasts were generally V-8 juice or yoghurt, until today when I made another meat crust quiche. There are leftovers for tomorrow and Monday, I think. Will be making a sort of green chicken recipe tonight from Cooking light—it's a sandwich recipe originally and I have romaine leaves to sub for the bread—I've discovered I actually prefer these (or napa cabbage, but holy crap the price!....endive, too) because flavor. As in, bread has none. And it's soft. Where lettuce leaves are crunchy, crispy green goodness.

Anyway, lunch: Monday was leftover something...oh, the last of the soup from last week. Tuesday was a big meeting day, and lunch was ordered in without options, so that was a Panera sandwich, but I managed to snag a cold cut sandwich and only ate half the bread, plus some salad. Wednesday no lunch—I had a freezer lunch I'd bought a couple of weeks ago and it tasted completely plastic...two bits and I threw it out. Judging a competition that night = pizza for dinner. Thursday still V-8 for breakfast, fast food lunch, not really hungry for dinner, but I made a Thai lemongrass/chicken thing for dinner, using a pre-made sauce that was gluten free. Very yummy. I was going to do that for lunch yesterday, adding some green peas, but a friend asked me to lunch. Barbeque at Sonny's, so I was able to control the sauce and minimize carbs sort of...no bread, anyway. Easy to pass on there because I don't like the big floppy garlic bread there, and I can't eat more than a bit of cornbread. I finished up the chicken for dinner instead with some green peas.

I am keeping up with my water challenge, at least.

The next health move is to cut out all the rest of the wheat and corn. I've been letting myself slide on the edges, but there are things I'm hearing about corn that have me determined to find a safe source before allowing that much play in my diet.

Am going to try to get in some "cooking for leftovers" this weekend so my lunches next week can be grab and go while still being primal. Breakfast, too, or I will need to get out of the "get out of bed and go straight to work" mode.

Almost a year later. 20 pounds down. Staying about 80% primal--but the wrong 80%. Or I need more than 80%. So this year's goal: exercise more, eat more in alignment with macro needs (I suspect I'm eating too much ... of something.). Etc. Going to try the 21 day challenge--I think that might be the key in tweaking it.

Breakfast: two eggs, two cups spinach, 3 or 4 ounces pork sausage (home made). Lots of protein here...will get the numbers when I get home from work.

Lunch: a few bites of home made chili (made it too hot); 1 bag of mixed veggies for the microwave. So that's at least 6 servings of veggies: in the bag of veggies, 4 servings = 20 grams plus 1 gram in the tomatoes in the chili. 21 grams/4 grams/0/ (missing the numbers for protein and fat in the chili)

Dinner: 1/2 cup asparagus (total: 7 or 8 servings veggies); 3 chicken thighs (not enough protein at lunch).

Totals: 100/60/30 (protein/fat/carbs)-ish
    Last edited by PrimalWriter; 01-02-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Aislinn is offline Junior Member
    Welcome back! 20 pounds down is awesome.

I like this: "It's all about the journey. How we get there is at least as important as where we end up."

Lots of protein is good.

I think you're back on the right track! Keep it up!

Thanks! It is a bit of a challenge, balancing the macros--carb/fat/protein. I worry that I'm getting too much protein and not enough fat, but...

PrimalCon New York
    Breakfast: 2 eggs, bacon. Really not in a veggie mood, although I suppose that ought to change.

Lunch: World's Best Chicken....and asparagus leftovers. Funny, I can't bring myself to eat salads any more. Perhaps because I got sick (with a migraine) shortly after eating one. I'm letting that be, for now.

Dinner tonight is going to be something with beef--have some that needs cooking. Need to find something tasty in the spice-blend world, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12