Thread: Did you let your body find it's own set point? page

Athanasey is offline Senior Member

Did you let your body find it's own set point?

Primal Fuel
    I got to my goal weight in about the middle of last year. I decided that was low enough for me and added more starches into my diet. I also relaxed a lot and started occasionally having things like fruit juice, and other gluten free foods that weren't really primal.

Eventually I had gained about 3kgs (6.6lbs) and my body started punishing me in other ways too

I decided enough was enough and went back to strict primal. I'm still eating lots including starchy foods but the weight is falling off again. I'm already back down to my goal weight. But the weight is still coming off.

My question to those who have been in a similar position is did you just let your body find it's own set point? I'm concerned about losing too much weight but at the same time I think surely while eating a decent amount my body will balance itself out right? Is that actually the case?

I'm fine boned and have no muscle (I know I should strength train) so being at the lower end of a BMI scale won't look odd on me but I still worry.
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm jealous. My set point is pretty high. I have only one last thing to try to move it any lower, and I'm not ready/willing to try it yet: lots of HIIT and lots of fasting.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I'm fine at my new, post-primal "natural weight" that I sit at when I'm 80/20 primal (although I'm pretty hard on myself, and strict about what can constitute the 20%).

When I need to be seen on a beach or get ready for a Jiu Jitsu competition or MMA fight (e.g. bring my body fat level down from 13 or 14% to sub-10%), it just take a few weeks without the glass of red wine, the square of dark chocolate, and the occasional side of sweet potato fries. If I'm strict with the IF protocol, I can get pretty close within a single week without feeling like I'm really depriving myself.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I'm am nearly at my goal and am finding that I can eat more than I expected. I have reconsidered what my goal ought to be. I think 120 is totally doable for me. On the other hand, at my age, I think decent muscle mass ought to be a priority, so I am willing to disregard the scale for some muscle. I guess that means I'm willing to let my body choose?
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

peril is offline Senior Member
    I came to primal to get healthy. Lost weight as a result and found a new set point with BMI of 22. Have just kept doing the same thing, but have the incentive of needing to get healthy so I have no incentive not to keep fairly clean diet wise
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm jealous. My set point is pretty high. I have only one last thing to try to move it any lower, and I'm not ready/willing to try it yet: lots of HIIT and lots of fasting.
    I never thought I'd be one of those people who ate to keep weight on. I mean I was obese for goodness sake, gaining weight was clearly not an issue for me

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I'm am nearly at my goal and am finding that I can eat more than I expected. I have reconsidered what my goal ought to be. I think 120 is totally doable for me. On the other hand, at my age, I think decent muscle mass ought to be a priority, so I am willing to disregard the scale for some muscle. I guess that means I'm willing to let my body choose?
    I know I need to focus on muscle. It's just one of those things I never get around to.

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    I came to primal to get healthy. Lost weight as a result and found a new set point with BMI of 22. Have just kept doing the same thing, but have the incentive of needing to get healthy so I have no incentive not to keep fairly clean diet wise
    The weight loss was a by product of getting healthy for me too. I forgot that somewhere along the way and my health did suffer when my diet started to slip.

My BMI is 21 at the moment so technically I could lose another 7kgs and still be a healthy weight. Maybe I'll just let my body be and see what happens, worry if it actually gets to low?
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, after awhile my body set its weight at ~100 no matter what I do so I'm good here for now.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry!! If your set weight is fairly low, then that's probably just fine. I would agree that strength training is a great idea though, no matter what your weight. You'd probably find that if you put on some muscle your set point weight would stabilise to something a little higher.

Honestly, I need to kick my body's set point down a notch or a FEW notches! I'm still overweight and yet my weight hasn't budged in some time. Ho hum... I want to get to the weight I USED to have before I did insane stuff like dieted all the time, and ended up with a much higher set point than is at all normal/healthy for my size!