Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is This A Good Way To Lose Fat? page

dimples is offline Junior Member

Is This A Good Way To Lose Fat?

Primal Fuel
    So let's say I get the right amount of protein and carbs. Should I lower my fat intake so that my body will need energy, and take it from my fat stores - rather than use the fats I ingest?

Also, would this work if I wanted to build muscle and lose fat?

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    If you want to build muscle then you will need a calorie excess and to lose fat then you'll need a calorie deficit. Trying to do both simultaneously is liable to lead to a failure on both counts.

That said I do favor the leangains approach and tailoring your fat intake to your caloric needs is a good idea as long as no attempt at total fat elimination is made. Some fat is a good thing so that you can get your fat soluble vitamins. Excess fat beyond your calorie can and will be stored however as fat.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    So let's say I get the right amount of protein and carbs. Should I lower my fat intake so that my body will need energy, and take it from my fat stores - rather than use the fats I ingest?

You should anyway not go below 20 % of fat on total calorie intake since it would lower your testosterone and increase muscle loss. A few feople can gain some muscle in a calorie deficit, those are usually beginners and people that start out after a lay-off...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Read the book......

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    If you get the right amounts of protein and carbs and go very low fat, you'll be starving. It might actually be counterproductive.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Read the book.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Book, read the

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.Low-carb and calories Ľ The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.
    Letís look at what happens when we cut carbohydrates in the diet. First, we donít get enough carbs to replenish our blood sugar, so the body has to convert protein to glucose to make up the difference. The signal to do this comes from a rising level of glucagon, a hormone made in and released by the pancreas. In order for glucagon to do its job, the level of insulin in the blood has to go down, which it does. A low level of insulin and a high level of glucagon send a signal to the fat cells telling them to release their fat. You can think of it as opening the doors to the fat cells so that fat can easily get out. The body burns this fat for energy. As the body burns more, the fat cells release more. When the fat cells dump their fat, they become smaller. When your fat cells or adipose tissue becomes smaller, you become smaller. And you lose weight. Which is how itís supposed to work.

But there is a little glitch in all of this.

Although the lowered insulin and elevated glucagon open the doors to the fat cells allowing fat to come out to be burned, the fat comes out only if itís needed. If you are meeting all your bodyís energy needs with the food you eat, the body doesnít need the fat in the fat cells. On a low-carb diet your body burns fat for energy. But it doesnít care where this fat comes from; it can come from the diet or it can come from the fat cells or it can come from both. If you are consuming enough fat to meet all your bodyís requirements, your body wonít go after the fat in the fat cells no matter how severely you restrict your carbs. You will burn dietary fat only and no body fat. And you wonít lose weight. Itís that simple.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 02-08-2013 at 05:48 PM.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Cal. is offline Member
    I dunno about Daemonized and sbhikes thoughts/opinions; I prefer Mark's:

"Fats have little or no impact on insulin and, as a result, promote the burning of both dietary and stored (adipose) fat as fuel."
    The above is part of his The Definitive Guide to Primal Eating Plan.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal. View Post
    I dunno about Daemonized and sbhikes thoughts/opinions; I prefer Mark's:

The above is part of his The Definitive Guide to Primal Eating Plan.
    That actually agrees with sbhikes' Dr. Eades quote.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast