Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is This A Good Way To Lose Fat? page 2

Cal. is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    That actually agrees with sbhikes' Dr. Eades quote.
    Dr. Eades quote:
    "If you are consuming enough fat to meet all your bodyís requirements, your body wonít go after the fat in the fat cells no matter how severely you restrict your carbs. You will burn dietary fat only and no body fat. And you wonít lose weight. Itís that simple."

Mark's quote:
    "Fats have little or no impact on insulin and, as a result, promote the burning of both dietary and stored (adipose) fat as fuel."

They read different to me RichMahogany. Mind you, it's 3am here and I'm a little tired.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Easy enough to reconcile. I see what you're getting at.

In a situation where your body is burning fat for fuel, it doesn't "care" where that fat comes from.

Yeah, if you eat a billion grams of fat, you'll be in fat burning mode but still store fat. But what's more common is that your satiety signaling will tell you you've had enough, and you'll burn the fat you eat plus get the extra energy from your body's energy storage system, the adipose tissue.

They aren't disagreeing. Yes, you can eat so much fat that you don't use any of your stored fat. But it isn't particularly easy to do in most cases. Make sense?

dimples is offline Junior Member
    How can you be in a fat burning mode and still store fat? That sounds very counter-intuitive.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    How can you be in a fat burning mode and still store fat? That sounds very counter-intuitive.
    First is first......have you finished reading the book?

Grokkette is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    I'm new to PB so I could be misunderstanding, but I interpret the previous poster's comment to mean that just because you're in fat burning mode doesn't mean you're burning your stored body fat. If you're taking in too much dietary fat, then your body will simply burn that dietary fat for energy and continue storing any excess dietary fat, if any, that it doesn't burn. You are in fat burning mode, but you're not in stored body fat burning mode, you're essentially in dietary fat burning mode.

And btw, telling someone to "read the book" over and over isn't much help. Sisson's book came after his blog, remember. Just because someone came upon this free blog and forum and took an interest in the nutrition information doesn't mean they're mandated to pay $13 and "read the book" before they're allowed to ask any questions of other primal eaters.
    Last edited by Grokkette; 02-09-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Yes eating primal is a great way to lose fat. I've done it and so have many others.

My approach was to eat a good serve of protein at each meal, few carbohydrates, and some fat to kickstart the fat burning process but not so much as to meet all my calorie needs. What this looked like was mainly meat, eggs and green veges, a few olives and some nuts.

This caused my body to burn my stored fat and I would do the same again if I decided to drop a few more pounds.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokkette View Post
    I'm new to PB so I could be misunderstanding, but I interpret the previous poster's comment to mean that just because you're in fat burning mode doesn't mean you're burning your stored body fat. If you're taking in too much dietary fat, then your body will simply burn that dietary fat for energy and continue storing any excess dietary fat, if any, that it doesn't burn. You are in fat burning mode, but you're not in stored body fat burning mode, you're essentially in dietary fat burning mode.

And btw, telling someone to "read the book" over and over isn't much help. Sisson's book came after his blog, remember. Just because someone came upon this free blog and forum and took an interest in the nutrition information doesn't mean they're mandated to pay $13 and "read the book" before they're allowed to ask any questions of other primal eaters.
    You. I like you. Stay around.

That said, having been here a year or two, I think the 'read the book' advice is based on the fact that many new forum members (not the OP or yourself necessarily) come to the forums, read the different posts/tweaks/opinions, and get very confused on what the PBP really is. If one were to confine oneself to reading Mark's blog and the 'start here' or 'primal 101' information they would have an informed opinion, yet too often the new poster jumps right into 'eat only blah for blah time' posts, which are tweaks or hacks people are experimenting with (n=1 if you will) and crash and burn thinking primal is a failure, even though they have never actually tried primal or even understand what it is.

Given this happens several times a week, older/more experienced primal folk push reading the book. $13 is a small price to pay for good health

Welcome to the forums. Nice to have ya.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Is there a book one could read to get information about basic primal eating, I dunno, some kind of Blueprint or something
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    re: reading the book, there is also this Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple toward which to direct people, fo' free

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's not really difficult to understand. Your body uses the food you eat for its daily needs. If you eat any foods (protein, carbs, fats) above the body's needs, the excess is stored as body fat.

To maintain your weight (neither gain nor lose), you need to eat to the amount your body requires (different for different people; you have to find that level).

If you want to lose weight, you need to eat to a caloric deficit. It's only when it doesn't get enough food for its needs that the body automatically taps into its fat stores to supply its needs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast