Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inflammation and supplements on primal page

Húrin is offline Junior Member

Inflammation and supplements on primal

Hey guys,

I have been eating primal for a few days now and so far I like it. I was wandering if any of you can answer questions I have about chronic inflammation and supplements I have been using so far. I am 32 yo male, used to work as a computer professional until diagnosed with chronic wrist tendonitis in both hands year and a half ago. This sickness completely wrecked my life and I was forced to quit my job. Important thing about me is that I was physically inactive for last 8 years. Always under stress and consumed by work. Physical therapies had little effect with just minor improvements. So I am now exploring other methods like diet and mind body connection. First question I have is about supplementation. Doctors had me on NSAIDs for some time but I've stopped taking them and I am now using combination of Bromelain and Curcumin with fish oil capsules and that helped me with pain and inflammation. I have been using this combination for a year now. Other supplements I have been using are magnesium chloride and calcium citrate occasionally. Can I continue using those supplements or should I try to get them from food? With supplements I've managed to keep inflammation at bay a bit, but any kind of physical activity with hands like typing,using mouse, cleaning around house or driving my car sometimes would make my inflammation rise. When I did blood tests they've showed that inflammatory process is present, was negative on arthritis but had bit increased levels of uric acid so I've stopped drinking coke since I was drinking it instead of water most of the time. Is there any way to get rid of inflammation completely so my tendons can heal more quickly? What should I add to my primal diet to achieve this goal? I have started jogging with occasional sprints each day + strength exercises for my hands which cause inflammation spikes. Since I went primal I feel very tired sometimes and my muscles seem weak but I've red that is most common occurrence. I've found out that eating banana with maple syrup makes my tiredness go away. I feel much more relaxed and less anxious. Any advice you may have please pass it on. Thanks a lot for your help and time.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Anti inflammatory diet is a huge focus for me with chronic pain from scoliosis. If you google anti inflammatory diets you'll get some good lists of food to include in your diet as well as ones to exclude. Thankfully by sticking to primal most inflammatory foods will be gone anyway.

I drink lots of green tea, minimum of two cups a day. Try to include things like flaxseed, turmeric, berries (blueberries are best), kelp and keep your intake of dairy very low.

cavedog is offline Junior Member
    you are suffering from repetitive motion disorder. nothing primal or paleo about it. modern industrial/office jobs are unnatural, and workers are disposable units like the mouse and keyboard that have injured you. i wish you the best of luck getting past this, but the fact is that you are doing work for which no human was designed. i had to quit my job as a carpenter, then as a chef, due to the same issues. now i am a paramedic with a bad back. it kills me to answer 911 calls for people who hurt less than i do, but life is cruel and unfair.

the industrial culture is neither human nor humane. i hope you can find a way out. maybe you can get into management, where you will be overpaid in exchange for making others miserable. i tried it, but the guilt was more painful than the original problem.

for me, the answer has been tons of ibuprofen and booze. when my family obligations are discharged, i intend to take what is left of my ravaged carcass to the woods, where i will poach game and steal from tourists until a merciful god takes me home.

oh, and ice.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Better off getting fish oil from fish rather than capsules. I have canned fish/shellfish for lunch five days a week.

The primal diet is antiinflammatory in general but you can ramp it up. Definitely avoid vegetable oils and grains. You have every reason to try to be 100% compliant in that regard. I add a glass of red wine and a cup of hot cocoa (100% cocoa powder and hot water only) each day and get lots of curcurmin by cooking with turmeric (love curries). Avoid all processed food.

Avoid the NSAIDs if you can. Maybe get your Vitamin D levels checked.

You might also want to try eliminating foods that are problematic for some people. Dairy and nightshades are the key ones. If eliminating has no benefit then feel free to reintroduce them
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavedog View Post
    the industrial culture is neither human nor humane. i hope you can find a way out. maybe you can get into management, where you will be overpaid in exchange for making others miserable. i tried it, but the guilt was more painful than the original problem.

for me, the answer has been tons of ibuprofen and booze. when my family obligations are discharged, i intend to take what is left of my ravaged carcass to the woods, where i will poach game and steal from tourists until a merciful god takes me home.

oh, and ice.
    You're amazing. WHY only 10 posts??? Stop depriving us and start posting more.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

cavedog is offline Junior Member
    naturally, someone called YogaBare would like the idea of stealing from tourists. "what's in that pic-a-nic basket, booboo?"

you are suffering from repetitive motion disorder. nothing primal or paleo about it. modern industrial/office jobs are unnatural, and workers are disposable units like the mouse and keyboard that have injured you. i wish you the best of luck getting past this, but the fact is that you are doing work for which no human was designed. i had to quit my job as a carpenter, then as a chef, due to the same issues. now i am a paramedic with a bad back. it kills me to answer 911 calls for people who hurt less than i do, but life is cruel and unfair.

oh, and ice.

I am so sorry to hear about your problems. You should Google : Tension Myositis Syndrome (TMS). Its based on work of Dr. John Sarno who argues that chronic conditions like back pain, muscle soreness and Repetitive Strain Injuries that last for months and even years come from oxygen deprived muscles and nerves. Dr. Sarno claims this happens to people who are under great amount of stress and that a root problem is psychological when those kinds of injuries become chronic. I have last physical therapy for hands starting in a week or so and afterwards gonna read some books about mind-body issues like TMS. I am sure that key to my recovery is fixing up both my body and mind that's why I have chosen primal diet as a first step in my recovery. Life can be hard I know, but there is only one way and that's forward. I want to thank you guys for advices you gave me. It is much appreciated.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    naturally, someone called YogaBare would like the idea of stealing from tourists. "what's in that pic-a-nic basket, booboo?"
    Brilliant
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post

You might also want to try eliminating foods that are problematic for some people. Dairy and nightshades are the key ones. If eliminating has no benefit then feel free to reintroduce them
    This. Totally eliminate the night shades! I had similar problems and used booze and ibuprofen (although not at the same time as this will really damage your liver). I needed narcotics to sleep. Within 1 week of cutting potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant ( and tobacco if you smoke ) I was so much better. I used to spend my days curled up in pain. Within a couple of weeks I was off ibuprofen and narcotics. This was pre-primal for me. The more I learned, the more I changed my diet. For me, it seems that lectins in night shades and grains cause nerve pain and other problems. I have had multiple hand surgeries for carpel tunnel, decravaines and trigger finger on both hands. My body was depositing scar tissue on all of the tendons in my hands and wrists.

You may find different solutions for yourself, but I sincerely do hope you find some solutions and get your life back!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am glad you feel better now. I know how it is , there was time I could not dress myself without help of others that's how crippling pain was. Not to mention stress and frustration that came with it. Thank you so much for your feedback I will eliminate all night shades from my diet. Is black pepper ok ? I've red that black pepper is not nightshade. Do you have any suggestions what to use instead of night shade ingredients to fill a gap in recipes ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast