Thread: Office life page

vintageeats is offline Member

Office life

Primal Fuel
    Hey everybody,

A question for you regarding workouts with maximum results, for one who is short on time and confined to an cube eight hours a day :-)

To float myself through the lean times from the start-up I'm running, I have had to take on a second, full-time job. In addition to those two things, I'm taking business classes at night twice a week and maintaining a relationship and friendships. To boot, I have overhauled my eating. (Not complaining at all here about a lack of time - I feel very good about everything.)

The final missing piece in my implementation of PB is exercise. I figure if I come in a half hour earlier than normal a few times a week, I can still maintain my schedule for all the other stuff I have going on. Happily, I have access to a gym on my work property that has cardio and weight machines. Free weights too. I would love to CrossFit, but that's not in the budget for the next six months or so.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or resources that they'd recommend for a beginner like me - WODs? Squats in the cube? Doubt anybody would fund a standing desk, but.. suggestions, please.

Thank you in advance!
    Jen
    Last edited by vintageeats; 02-08-2013 at 11:56 AM.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Mark has many blog posts about this, and here are two of my favorites:
    16 Tips for Desk Jockeys: What to Do About Sitting All Day | Mark's Daily Apple
    10 Ways to Make Your Workplace Healthier and More Productive | Mark's Daily Apple

I personally do stretching on a regular basis while sitting at my desk. During lunch, I go for walks. Sometimes, if I'm not feeling self-conscious about it, I do squats or simple standing yoga poses in my cubicle, too.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

vintageeats is offline Member
    Thanks, MissJecka! I have been reading those with interest. I also have been known to do some yoga posing, but discreetly ;-)

I guess my question is twofold, which might not have been clear. I'd like to know:

1) What I can do inside of my cube so that my butt doesn't fuse to my (non-ergonomic) chair; and
    2) What I can do in less than an hour in a gym with the stuff listed above.

Thanks again, everybody, for your support.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Look up the blog post Mark had the other day. The guy calls it "executive workouts."
    How to Incorporate the Primal Blueprint into a Busy Family and Work Life | Mark's Daily Apple
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    a hour to an hour 15 for the gym is plenty... 30 min workout, the rest changing, shower, walk back.

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    As far as a standing desk goes, I work in a crummy institutional grey Herman Miller cubical and I just put a cardboard box on top of my desk and work on top of it standing up for a few hours a couple of hours per day. It works just fine and no one seems to mind. It also helps me see when the boss is coming...hehe

melissa is offline Junior Member
    I sit on an exercise ball for 1/2 hour to hour/day. Basically wiggling around in different directions, lifting my legs etc.

Its not a lot but it does help core muscles quite a bit

beachbound is offline Junior Member
    I'll try to visit the restroom every hour and do a few jumping jacks.
    A few times a day I'll hit the stairwell and sprint up a few flights.
    For lunch, I have access to a local park that has chin-up and parallel bars, so I'll pump out a couple of sets.

chetnvok is offline Junior Member
    thank you,It works just fine and no one seems to mind. It also helps me see when the boss is coming ,good info to me,

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Cardboard box on the desk also goes well for me - a few hours a day, especially if you can use a laptop. Helps if its about sternum height I find. I'd also like a standing desk. I'm prob going to make my own by buying a second hand computer desk and sawing off the bottomsection, so that I can just put the top section onto any standard height desk.