Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Improving my specs... page

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member

Improving my specs...

Shop Now
    Well, guess i'll finally make my own thread to post my primal musings.

So when I started out on primal, I set a midway goal of losing 65lbs. Which would take me well out of the morbidly obese category and squarely in the middle of overweight. It's a weight I can still function at and takes me back to a weight I was at about 5 years ago.

The weight really dropped off early on. Then a bunch of stresses, plus holidays, parties and life put me on a solid plateau. I was quite pleased with NOT gaining weight over the past couple months, but I just couldn't get the scale to put me within the last 10 pounds of my goal. I finally just dipped to under 10lbs left this morning, hence the journal start. As I think I will really need it once I set my next goal.

note: I log my weight only when I hit new lows.
    Last edited by specsAreGrok; 03-14-2013 at 05:41 AM.

I start near every weekday with a homemade nutbar. I like em, its the only time I eat nuts. I put a 1/4cup of my nutbar mix into a cupcake paper and press em down. They usually average about 200 or so calories, mostly fat. The batch I make lasts about 2 weeks between me and the wifey.

Currently eating: english walnut+pistachio+cashew+almond butter nutbars.
    Last edited by specsAreGrok; 02-08-2013 at 08:03 AM.

My plateau really started when I took up running again --begining of october on the chart -- its been a long time since I was fit enough to even think about it. But it really seemed to STOP the weight loss. But, at the same time my measurement specs have continued to improve, so something good is still coming from it. And an obese guy running, aint exactly not a weight training activity. My legs are like strong redwoods...

I'm back to 3miles at a nice 15minute/mile pace. I usually run at night, cuz thats when I get the chance. And its after standing all day at my desk.

The local deer population adds entertainment to the nightly runs, especially when the dogs and I get to sneak up on them.
    Last edited by specsAreGrok; 02-08-2013 at 08:09 AM.

Oh, and the minimalist running really makes a world of difference. The only pain I end up with is muscle soreness, not joint pain. The biggest difference is I dont roll my ankles any longer -- always a pain and fear. I used to really roll my ankles bad with traditional shoes due to some old ankle injuries that were never rehabbed correctly when I was younger.

I've sprinted a little, but it really scares the beejeezus out of me for a load of reasons. Gonna start making sure to add weekly sprints once the weather gets a bit better and days get longer as sprinting in the dark is even scarier.

I'm really glad suburbanorganics merged with doortodoororganics. The website is much improved and now I can add pastured eggs, meat and dairy to my weekly delivery. Got some of their pastured pork sausage last week and made some swiss-chard+pork meatballs, served with a simple carrot/celery vegetable soup. There were no complaints at the dinner table.

Also, still hitting new lows on the scale, it appears I finally busted through my plateau. Although, I haven't been able to go for a long run the last few days. I think there is something to cardio keeping the scale from dropping.
    Last edited by specsAreGrok; 02-12-2013 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    Also, still hitting new lows on the scale, it appears I finally busted through my plateau. Although, I haven't been able to go for a long run the last few days. I think there is something to cardio keeping the scale from dropping.
    Decided to IF today, had a spoonful of coconut oil for lunch and otherwise fasted until before dinner and went for a blistering 3mile run as fast as i could push myself -- the dogs were not happy about it. Came back and was a good 3lbs under my previous plateau. Yeah, its just a temporary thing from empty stomach/water. But now i got a new low goal to aim for and beat.

Finished off the IF with a big bowl of some cacoa chili from a recipe i got from paleo magazine. its a good one.

amazingly the results of my if and run yesterday stayed off through today, and now in a bit of pre-anniversary celebration, I present you with tonights appetizer gift from the household she-grok.

geezus, this is one helluva beer:

Last edited by specsAreGrok; 02-13-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Decided to IF today. But I do "cheat" with a spoonful of coconut oil in the morning-- it just sets me straight for the day. Gonna go for a good run later fasted (about 20 hours or so) then finish off the day with some pork+lamb+chard meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    Decided to IF today. But I do "cheat" with a spoonful of coconut oil in the morning-- it just sets me straight for the day. Gonna go for a good run later fasted (about 20 hours or so) then finish off the day with some pork+lamb+chard meatballs.
    These turned out great: 1lb ground lamb, 1lb ground pork, 1 bunch rainbow chard, 1 red bell pepper, handful of parsley, 2 eggs, handful of parmesan, some spices. steamed the chard and parsley, blended it up with the pepper, mixed in with the other stuff, browned em on a couple sides in the skillet then finished slowly in the oven at 300. would eat again.

Got a coupon in the mail for 2bucks off the new 2012 batch of wegmans new harvest olive oil. "Liquid Gold" Has Arrived!

This olive oil, is handsdown my absolute favorite for dressings, dips, drizzles, (not cooking) or just straight up out of an effing shotglass. We must gone through, 2 dozen bottles of the 2011 batch before the store ran out. I remember on the weekly trips seeing the display getting smaller and smaller....hell i think I bought 3 bottles the last time i saw them in the store. It's totally unfiltered, you gotta shake it before you pour it and get all that green slimey gooeyness. Did I say it was good? I've paid more for a lot more boring, less flavorful other olive oils.

Stocking up, come this sunday.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast