Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nemo survivors - how many are bracing for the blizzard? page

MissJecka is offline Senior Member

Cool Nemo survivors - how many are bracing for the blizzard?

Shop Now
    Hello from already-snowy Boston! I've just baked a bunch of sweet potatoes and have bacon and eggs galore, and my freezer is still stocked with the usual bulk meat. I know I won't be going hungry this weekend if we end up snowed in!

How about the rest of you Groks of the northeastern United States?
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Is it real? People around here in south jersey are just repping the hype without question again.

This whole weather hysteria thing- maybe because I am only 31, I do not remember far back enough to have an accurate picture? But I feel like just in the last 5 years, people have degenerated into a quibbling mass of ignorant god-wrath fearing peasant lunatics who shudder hysterically at the slightest indication of weather that might disturb Pleasantville. "There will be snow" is enough to send panicked mobs through the grocery stores emptying the shelves. It is angering me more and more daily.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

What really blows my mind is the craziness that ensued at the gas station when I went to fill up yesterday. Lines and lines of people waiting for a full-serve pump (yes, outside of New Jersey we have to pump our own gas more often than not!). I drove two blocks farther, didn't wait in a line, and pumped my own damn gas.

Also, folks buying loaves of bread and chips and crackers. Video on the news showed shelves of bread completely barren from mobs of snowpocalypse-feared locals buying them out. I bet the bacon was still available. :P

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i saw on the news this morning that gas stations were sold out of gas. are you kidding me? for a little bit of snow.

it always blows my mind about the milk/bread/eggs crowd at the grocery store. soccer moms that wouldn't hesitate to knife you for a loaf of wonder bread... just do your standard grocery shopping and you will be fine. it's not like you will be snowed in for a fucking month without access to a grocery store. soft-headed people amaze me
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    Is it real? People around here in south jersey are just repping the hype without question again.
    Consumerism has bred a nation of wussies. Fear sells.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    I posted this on facebook today:
    I think that the total degradation of mankind as a biologically autonomous individual member of his species is most evident when it is going to snow, and people freak out en masse with this sudden survival panic rush, as if this snow-fall is the monster in the dark against which they must summon all of their courage. Meanwhile real monsters in darker darkness actually, daily diminish their lives without being challenged, and their living conditions are measurably diminished in all regards. Two days after snow though, there is scarce evidence that it happened. Chill the fuck out morons. Don't make my night a shit one because you have bottled a lifetime of self-reliance chemicals and shelved them.
    The panic I believe is a consequence of the fact that all of their daily needs for food and shelter and security are handed to them by invisible bureacracies, so they have repressed reliance-affirmation. There is an X Factor though- what triggers these idiots into motion? Is it an awareness that everyone else will be moving, like a herd instinct, or is it electro-magnetic hypnotic commands from television weather reports? Or an unholy union of the two? Probably the latter. Woe to us...
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    I'm ready for it here in the lower part of northern Maine, but not any more so than I would be for a normal storm. I've got kerosene lanterns and a little propane camping grill in case we do lose power, which happens pretty often as it is with storms around here, so it's not a huge deal in these parts. In fact a lot of people are pretty excited we are getting some more snow! It means jobs and income for quite a few people; plowing, sanding, shoveling and whatnot. The gas stations and supermarket are a little bit busier, but mostly because people are gassing up their plow trucks and snowmobiles and just doing their usual weekend grocery shopping a couple days earlier. I definitely wouldn't say it's mass hysteria here.

Hello from Seacoast New Hampshire... Some forecasts have us getting two feet. Guess my Lift Heavy Things = shoveling out tomorrow! Right now I'm staying home and enjoying the start of a surprise three day weekend. There's plenty of primal food in the house, but I'm guessing I'll have some celebratory Baileys later on.

Stay safe, everybody! No need to prove what hardcore New Englanders we are by going out in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Narcolepticjenn View Post
    Hello from Seacoast New Hampshire... Some forecasts have us getting two feet. Guess my Lift Heavy Things = shoveling out tomorrow! Right now I'm staying home and enjoying the start of a surprise three day weekend. There's plenty of primal food in the house, but I'm guessing I'll have some celebratory Baileys later on.

Stay safe, everybody! No need to prove what hardcore New Englanders we are by going out in this.
    Your plan sounds like mine! Lots of shoveling (lifting heavy SNOW) and good food in a warm house. I have no need to worry about power outages since our range is gas, as is our heat/hot water.

boomingno is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    Consumerism has bred a nation of wussies. Fear sells.
    +1000000000000000000000000000000

Plus naming winter storms means trending on twitter EVERY WEEK!!!1

And no offense east coasters, but on behalf of Minnesotans everywhere, I scoff at your snowfall related panic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast