Thread: Math DUMMY needs help on beginning ratios page

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member

Math DUMMY needs help on beginning ratios

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey folks,

Admitted math idiot here-

I need help on my ratios. I was looking through the "eat moar fat" threads, and I want to give it a go. I am in to my second week paleo and I want to get a little bit more.... "into" it, if that makes sense.

Anyway- my IDEAL weight based on medical standards is about 75k based on my 6 ft height and large bone structure. I am already eating REALLY low carb, just don't feel the need for it. Actually, most all my carbs are coming from veggies- and most of those are greens. ANYWAY- I was trying to figure ratios based on Pebbles' thread. So, I came up with 150g fat 65-70g protein and 30ish g carbs (which I have no idea how I will achieve)

Does this sound right for a high fat, moderate protein, low carb? If I choose to NOT eat 30g of carbs per day, what do I replace the extra with? More fat? More protein? I need a tutor...
    Last edited by Gladmorning; 02-08-2013 at 07:55 AM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    It's my personal opinion that carbs in greens shouldn't count at all. Microbes in your intestines turn that all into fatty acids for you. If you don't eat the vegetables, you can eat more of the other things. 30 g of carbs in the form of green vegetables will equal like what, a drop of oil or a bite of meat?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

I'm not going to stop eating veggies! They are my favorite thing. I like veggies more than I like some meats and eggs

The only other carbs I eat currently are in the form of nuts. I always sprinkle a tbsp of pine nuts or sunflower seeds on my salads, for no other reason than I like CRUNCHY to the extreme!

Today, trying to put more fat and calories (struggling to get calories above 1000) into my salad, it wound up being bigger than usual. I added a little cheese today to boost it. I couldn't finish it. I ate until I felt the "full bell" which I don't usually let myself get to. In 10 minutes I was painfully full. That lasted about 20 minutes and I was grateful when it ended. I don't want to do that again. I am normally so good at making the portion just right so I never feel the "full bell." Oh, maybe it was the extra egg yolk I threw in there. I had hard boiled some eggs and used the last two on my salad today. I actually stripped the whites off and gave them to the dog. Now I'm fussing about eating too much protein. The stupid turkey cutlets I bought (and finished today) only have .5g fat per 4 oz and 28g of protein per 4 oz. I have no idea how much 4 oz is. I NEED a scale. I cut off about... a chunk the size of a deck of cards. If I had two of those chunks I would almost meet my protein for the day! Yeesh.

I hate counting calories, but figuring (or trying to) these ratios is kinda like a fun little game.

Not sure what I'll have for dinner tonight. Maybe some yogurt.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Well, like I said, I don't think the carbs in greens should count toward your total carbs at all. So if the only other carbs are coming from nuts and dairy products, you're pretty low in carbs already. So if you didn't eat nuts or dairy products (like in an effort to cut carbs further), you'd be pretty well ketogenic. If that's what you want to be, then you would simply add more fat if you need more calories. Your only other choice is to add more protein, and if ketogenic is what you want, you might bump yourself out of it. If you don't care, then the added protein might make you feel more satisfied.

Personally, I think it's a pain in the ass to count calories or macros. I have a list of go-to foods that I know are healthy and I just mix and match and let the macro ratios fall where they may. Sounds like you kind of do the same, but are just curious to know what it comes out to each day. Nothing wrong with that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

I agree that counting calories/macros can be a bit of a PITA. I tracked for a week or two and then felt I pretty well could tell how I was doing and stopped tracking ever again.

MattyH is offline Junior Member
    I'm not the expert by any means, but if you're 6'. large boned and active (male?) your protein might be a little low. 30g carbs is incredibly low unless you're trying to lose weight (you don't mention?). add a touch of fruit brings in some pretty vital micros, soluble fibre, etc. Overall intake at ~1800 is right if you're maintaining not losing.

Hahaha, sorry, sorry. No I'm a female Definitely wanting to lose weight. I didn't change over to primal JUST to lose weight, it's a nice side benefit though, and I am trying to help myself how I can. I am pretty content with this. I am trying to find the right balance of longevity and stick-to-itiveness and weight loss. So far, I feel like I am doing pretty good. I am actually amazed at how not hungry I am. I was telling my boyfriend about my lack of hungry and STRUGGLING to get enough calories and he insisted it was the fiber in my diet. Well.... No... actually it's not. It's the fat. He refused to believe me. Men can be such hard heads about diet and exercise when they have done a lot of it.