Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uveitis - Inflammation in my eye! page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Uveitis - Inflammation in my eye!

Anybody know some general or oddball data about this poentially blinding condition? An eye doctor gave me steroid eye drops and a relaxer and it's worked for now. Those are band-aids, though. If this is neither the viral nor the bacterial, and if it truly is the dreaded autoimmune version, I could easily go blind. Any help is appreciated, since I can still read with my left eye for now.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Expectations (prognosis)
    With proper treatment, most attacks of anterior uveitis go away in a few days to weeks.

Uveitis - PubMed Health

The part of your eye affected by uveitis either the front (anterior) or back (posterior) of the uvea may determine how quickly your eye heals. Uveitis affecting the back of your eye tends to heal more slowly than uveitis in the front of the eye. Severe inflammation takes longer to clear up than mild inflammation does.

Uveitis: Treatments and drugs - MayoClinic.com

Hope that little bit of info is helpful..... getting the treatment started early seems to be one of the most important determinants of the outcome. The earlier the treatment, the better the outcome.

I had anterior uveitis and saw the doc after day 1. It's been a week and vision is still blurry, but it might be the eye drops, which we're tapering off of now. I've had chronic haziness for years, though. There isn't a whole lot of info out there...

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

sadiscjay is offline Junior Member
    You should check with a rheumatologist. I have had 5 uveitis' in my left eye and unilateral uveitis can be linked to the gene HLA-B27. Also common to those with HLA-B27 and unilateral uveitis is ankhilosing spondilitus, a fusing of the spine, that Mick Mars from Motley Crue has.

Keep seeing your eye doctor, but also realize that there could be much more to this.

This is only my first episode. I'll worry if it comes back again! I've read that it's common among people my age and often just happens once and never again. Crossing my fingers.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    Don't panic.

I've had about 6 episodes of uveitis in my lifetime, none in the past 15 years. I have the HLA B27 haplotype, along with the associated arthritis. Eating primal has really helped me diminish my symptoms. I have only had ONE bout of Crohn's colitis in my lifetime, and the 6 episodes of uveitis. You need a relationship with an eye doctor will who see you immediately if you develop symptoms---painful red eye.

Do some research about leaky gut, antiinflammatory diet, etc. I highly recommend VSL#3 as a probiotic for gut/immune health.

This can be a very manageable condition; don't be afraid to educate yourself.

Pea

It's back, left eye this time. Only a few weeks apart, and this is just after my severe bowel pain that I went to the ER for and they found nothing. How can I know if I have crohn's?

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

When Crohn's disease narrows the small intestine to the point of obstruction, the flow of the contents through the intestine ceases. Sometimes, the obstruction can be caused suddenly by poorly-digestible fruit or vegetables that plug the already-narrowed segment of the intestine. When the intestine is obstructed, digesting food, fluid and gas from the stomach and the small intestine cannot pass into the colon. The symptoms of small intestinal obstruction then appear, including severe abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal distention. Obstruction of the small intestine is much more likely since the small intestine is much narrower than the colon.
    Sweet potatoes did this to me recently.
    Crohn's Disease Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - How does Crohn's disease affect the intestines? on MedicineNet

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

AussieNana is offline Member
    I've had anterior uveitis over the last four years - probably related to the ankylosing spondylitis I also have. When I got it really badly and lost almost all the sight in one eye they put me on very heavy oral steroids for 3 weeks till it cleared. The steroids worked but coming off them was a problem - as many side effects coming off them as when I was on them. It took about a year to deal with all the side effects of the steroids but I still have most of my sight which is a blessing.

Now I focus on keeping the inflammation right down by strictly following the no grains, no legumes of any sort including green beans and peas, and mostly no nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes), no eggs and no nuts. I'm hoping to be able to add the nightshades, eggs and nuts back in to my diet in the future. Along the way its reduced the inflammation in my back as well and reduced post exercise muscle pain, both hugely beneficial to life's enjoyment.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To OP: How are you doing with your bowel symptoms?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast