Thread: Starting Primal in College page

Primalgirl18 is offline Junior Member

Smile Starting Primal in College

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, I just started Primal a few days ago. I started by cutting out all junk/sugary foods and grains. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for maintianing this lifestyle in the college environment. I have enough meal plans to access the cafeteria almost twice a day. There is not much protein available for breakfast, and the only good unprocessed protein I can get during lunch is grilled chicken breast. I usually just have a salad and some fruit. I don't really have the money to buy all the Primal foods from the grocery store fresh, and my only way to prepare food is in the microwave. So far I feel great, although I have to talk myself out of eating junk food every time I see it and I miss bread. Could someone help me figure out how to manage eating in this situation? Thanks!!

Female 18 yrs 5'11 161lbs goal weight: 145lbs

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi primalgirl. I think it's great you have discovered primal at this stage in your life.

I am kind of glad I didn't know about primal when I was on a tough budget, in those days I made tons of bread and based all our family meals around rice and pasta and potatoes.

You have made a good start cutting out junk, sugar and grains but you will get very hungry if you cannot get enough protein and good fats. Grilled chicken breast sounds like a good choice to add to your salad - are you allowed to do that? Can you bring your own olive oil to pour over it if that is not supplied?

A fun recipe my daughter does in the microwave is chocolate mug cakes - put into a large mug 1/2 a banana, one egg, 1T cocoa and 1t vanilla essence. Blend it all with a stick blender then microwave in 30s bursts maybe 3x till cooked through. Eat with a spoon straight from the mug. You can add whipped cream too.

Real ingredients do cost money but they don't actually cost more than junk products. Many primal foods especially salads do not actually need to be cooked, just "assembled".

For example, breakfast could be berries with Greek yoghurt, sprinkled with flaked almonds. No cooking required.

Do any of these suggestions help?
    Last edited by Annieh; 02-07-2013 at 11:01 PM.

I do add the chicken to my salad on every day but Meatless Mondays and use the supplied olive oil by the salad bar. I usually grab some yogurt and either an apple or banana for breakfast. On very rare occasions, there will be berries. However, I would like some protein for breakfast and I can't stand eggs. Unfortunately, my campus seems to have a huge vegetarian thing going on and finding a good source of meat/protein is difficult.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are making the best choices possible in the circumstances. It's a pity you don't like eggs, they are a great source of protein. There is some protein in your yoghurt. Cheese is also quite good and some nuts.

smalot is offline Member
    Good on you. My advice would be to do a meal plan. I had trouble doing paleo when I would go out with friends. You need to plan out where you are going and what you are going to eat and you will find it much easier to stick with it.

All the best
    Doing my 30 day paleo challenge right now
    www.everydaypaleosolution.com

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    Breakfast is going to be the cheapest meal to eat in your dorm. Yogurt and fruit, or use the microwave to melt some cheese on top of an avocado or hot dog. If there is an Aldi near your campus that's a great place to get cheap greek yogurt, cheese, eggs, fruit, and avocados. Could you sneak a hot dog into the dining hall with you on Monday to make your salad less bland?

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    It might just be easier to skip breakfast than it is to negotiate the common breakfast foods offered. I am in college too and find the cafeteria a very nutrition-less place. Beware the yogurt, it's most likely full of High Fructose Corn Syrup and lacking in probiotics, fat and protein. If I was still in the dorm, I would keep on hand canned tuna, sardines, anchovies, coconut oil, dark chocolate, a variety of nuts, jerky, quality cheese, and full fat plain greek yogurt (which is even better if you combine it with pecans and raw honey!)

Good luck primal girl, I hope you don't find the transition too stressful, it can be difficult on a budget, but it's manageable.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    I remember dining halls. Ate at one almost exclusively my freshman year, and then worked at one my junior year and one of the perks was 1 free meal per shift.
    The only problem was I had no willpower, so I usually ate pasta during those meals. I really have no excuse, the hall where I worked even had an omlette station, a salad bar with lots of toppings, plus a cooked meal of the day.
    I am somewhat like you. I cannot eat bacon and eggs in the morning. I don't know why it just seems so heavy first thing in the day. I can eat them for "brenner" (breakfast for dinner) though. Would that maybe be an option for you or does your dining hall just do set breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals? Also have you tried eggs cooked different ways? I like boiled eggs a lot better than fried or scrambled.
    One way I get protein with breakfast, even now that I'm in grad school and buy all my own food, is to buy some cold deli meat. I find it easier to stomach than warm meat in the morning.
    I'll echo the beware of yogurt served at dining halls unless you know for sure it's plain yogurt, because if it's flavored in any way it probably has added sugar.
    I also agree that breakfast will be the cheapest meal to eat outside the dining hall. Do you have access to a refridgerator at all? If not there are good suggestions for non-perishable stuff, and if you have the cash you could check around to see if anyone is willing to give you a good deal on a used mini fridge.
    If you have somwhere to store it, you can also cook bacon in a microwave.

You said you get salad. Does the salad bar have protein toppings like ham cubes, cheese, sunflower seeds, or hard boiled eggs? If so you could get some of those to supplement your meal.
    I'm not sure how many options are avaiable to you. Mine had different stations so you could get a variety of food but if yours just has 1-2 options per-meal I'd go for meat dishes, just be aware of ones that might have added bread (like meatloaf) or added sugar (any kind with barbeque sauce or sweet tasting glazes). For Meatless Mondays, I don't really know what to recommend there.
    Last edited by s-piper; 02-11-2013 at 03:53 PM.

I usually do end up skipping breakfast. There's not much besides grain and yogurt down there anyway. The salad bar is pretty hit or miss. Everyonce in a while there will be chicken but its pre cubed and looks kinda scary. I usually get alot of veggies on my salad. There are hardboiled eggs once in a while which I can make myself eat, although I don't usually enjoy it. I did end up buying a hot dog from a street vendor today because I was so hungry and it was the only source of protein I could find on these dumb meatless Mondays. I'm not quite sure what's up with that, but if it was decided that there would be no vegetarian options once a week, the school would get in trouble. Well, its about 1:30 in the morning and I really have to get back to my paper. Thanks for all the advice though!