Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I battle binge eating and purging and insulin resistance and pcos page

niah is offline Junior Member

I battle binge eating and purging and insulin resistance and pcos

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I can be strict for like 4-7 days and then its all downhill from there. I want help. I'm not sure what to do or what to eat. People say no sugar, no fruit etc. Then someone will say just drink green smoothies. I love green smoothies with fruit. But I want to lose weight and I also binge a lot after being good for so long.... Do you have any advice to control my hormones and things that I can fill me up to the rim or something?
    I was 159 then I binged the last 2 days so God knows how much I weight. I always end up at 165-166 when I don't watch and it takes me a week- week and a half to get to 159 ( 5'6-5'7 medium- large boned have muscle from dance ) and it starts all over again.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    I'd recommend considering this : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77549.html

And realize the first two weeks can be quite hard. You will think you can't do this forever, but it gets better. Your body adjusts and the hunger gets much, much better (except around PMS perhaps ).

Ljphalen is offline Member
    Stop weighing yourself. I'm serious, it's not going to get any easier if you don't. The scale isn't giving you any useful information anyway, it won't tell you how much water you are retaining from the dehydration that results from purging, it won't tell you how much lean body mass you are sacrificing by depriving your body of nutrients and it won't tell you how much of you is fat. Get rid of your scale, at least give it to someone else to hold for you while you learn how to nourish yourself without guilt.

(I do know what it's like, I am not pulling this out of my ass)

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    I would say forget smoothies and follow a strict PB diet. No processed foods, no sugar etc. Loads of veggies in many and varied ways with animal protein and fats. Fruit and sugar and sugary things are your enemy till you have lost the weight you wish to loose.

Have you read the book yet? If not then get thee to a bookstore for a copy of "The primal blueprint" after you have read that, take a look at what foods you have in your house. Toss anything not PB and binge worthy, my weakness is cheese or nuts and nut butters. Then if you feel the need to binge, go wild on veggies.

There are lots of goofy/advanced theories on this board for people trying to empty the corners as it were but IMHO you cant break the rules properly till you know the basics intimately.

Once you have the basics down, look at intermittent fasting, it may or may not work well for you as everyone's mileage ( In Canada do we more properly say "kilometerage"?) will vary.

Hormones get kicked out of whack by a lifetime of abuse it will take time to regulate them so dont despair if this takes a while. I found the book "It starts with food" very helpful in understanding how hormones work.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    What Warmbear says. Buy the book, follow the program. Meals should look like:
    Bacon and eggs, veggies
    Big salad with meat
    Steak, veggies

Not smoothies. You eat a lot of protein- 6-8 ounces. You eat fatty protein. Chicken leg with skin, ground beef with fat. Throw in a piece or two of fruit or not. Eat a ton of veggies. My dinner last night was 2 boneless chicken thighs grilled, with 1/2 bag of kale cooked in coconut milk and coconut oil. My breakfast was 3 eggs cooked in butter, asparagus and a banana.

You do need to experiment. Track your eating and figure out why you binge. Play around- does excluding fruit help you not binge? If you eat a little leaner do you lose more weight? Figure out some substitute foods.

My past year has yielded a close to 40 lb loss. I did a lot of tweaking. For me very low carb does not work, I can't have dairy or grains at all unless I want to bloat. I can have fruit, but "sweets" even the more acceptable ones tend to be overeaten and I don't lose weight. I like less fat, more carbs and a ton of protein. I need a lot of variety and MUST enjoy my food. So now I have something that works for me.

I did have a few binges, and you know what, they helped me LEARN. I got back on the wagon and tried again. You just haveto keep at it, but keep tweaking until you have a diet that allows for weightloss and keeps you satisfied. But your ideal diet may not be mine. It might not be warmbears. But only you can work that out for yourself.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Buy the book. This site is helpful, but the book puts the package together for you and gives you the plan you need to follow.

I've been doing PB for 2-1/2 months, I've lost 15 lbs. When you consider I was losing weight over the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years) that's not bad, hey? This program works, for most people. I'd say commit to follow it for 30 days. See what happens.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    What Warmbear says. Buy the book, follow the program. Meals should look like:
    Bacon and eggs, veggies
    Big salad with meat
    Steak, veggies

Not smoothies. You eat a lot of protein- 6-8 ounces. You eat fatty protein. Chicken leg with skin, ground beef with fat. Throw in a piece or two of fruit or not. Eat a ton of veggies. My dinner last night was 2 boneless chicken thighs grilled, with 1/2 bag of kale cooked in coconut milk and coconut oil. My breakfast was 3 eggs cooked in butter, asparagus and a banana.

You do need to experiment. Track your eating and figure out why you binge. Play around- does excluding fruit help you not binge? If you eat a little leaner do you lose more weight? Figure out some substitute foods.

My past year has yielded a close to 40 lb loss. I did a lot of tweaking. For me very low carb does not work, I can't have dairy or grains at all unless I want to bloat. I can have fruit, but "sweets" even the more acceptable ones tend to be overeaten and I don't lose weight. I like less fat, more carbs and a ton of protein. I need a lot of variety and MUST enjoy my food. So now I have something that works for me.

I did have a few binges, and you know what, they helped me LEARN. I got back on the wagon and tried again. You just haveto keep at it, but keep tweaking until you have a diet that allows for weightloss and keeps you satisfied. But your ideal diet may not be mine. It might not be warmbears. But only you can work that out for yourself.
    Oh thanks so much!Yes, I must go buy the book

Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    I would say forget smoothies and follow a strict PB diet. No processed foods, no sugar etc. Loads of veggies in many and varied ways with animal protein and fats. Fruit and sugar and sugary things are your enemy till you have lost the weight you wish to loose.

Have you read the book yet? If not then get thee to a bookstore for a copy of "The primal blueprint" after you have read that, take a look at what foods you have in your house. Toss anything not PB and binge worthy, my weakness is cheese or nuts and nut butters. Then if you feel the need to binge, go wild on veggies.

There are lots of goofy/advanced theories on this board for people trying to empty the corners as it were but IMHO you cant break the rules properly till you know the basics intimately.

Once you have the basics down, look at intermittent fasting, it may or may not work well for you as everyone's mileage ( In Canada do we more properly say "kilometerage"?) will vary.

Hormones get kicked out of whack by a lifetime of abuse it will take time to regulate them so dont despair if this takes a while. I found the book "It starts with food" very helpful in understanding how hormones work.
    Yeah, I have not purchased the book yet. I should though after this snow storm. This was so informative thank you so much!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Agreed. First Buy the book and read it. Second use a nutrician tracker like paleotrack.com And don't go to extremes in the beginning (first 3 months). Let you body settle into it first.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Almost everything I've read on binge eating says that any form of restriction will inevitably lead to a binge for those so inclined. Since you are not massively overweight, I would suggest 'learning' Primal eating, and simply trying to maintain your weight for a few months. By learning to maintain, you will also be able to identify the way you can cut back to lose without feeling restricted or deprived--the behavior that 'signals' the brain to create the urge to binge.

I'd also recommend reading Kathryn Hansen's Brain Over Binge for a good understanding the this behavior. The book is basically her own story, but she also had a website that offers further info and advice. But reading the book can be truly enlightening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast