Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good things for inflammation and acne page

jimpag is offline Senior Member

Good things for inflammation and acne?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Eating mostly Anti-inflammatory foods is obviously a good start, I usually follows nutritiondata.com for that.

I also take ginger and oregano supplements, they are supposed to be anti-inflammatory, am also gonna buy turmeric.

Any more tips you all can give me is greatly appreciated, wherever it is diet tips, supplements, lifestyle or anything else.

Btw, this is for getting my acne under control, which always gets better when I eat a anti-inflammatory diet but never goes away fully.

So yeh, when we are at it, if you have tips for good things to get rid of acne let me know that to
    Last edited by jimpag; 04-26-2010 at 11:03 AM.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I know it sounds really screwy, but I can make my occasional breakout go away just by dabbing toothpaste (not gel, a baking soda paste works ok too) on the spot itself.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I went over this with my dad who suffers from some sort of arthritis today. If you don't tackle the source of the inflammation no amount of magical herbal witch-doctory is going to solve your problem. Don't get me wrong I think that ginger, oregano and turmeric have some great phytochemicals in them that can reduce inflammation and oxidative stress, I use all of these myself periodically, but that really really really really really isn't the cure.

Reducing omega 3-6 ratio to 1:1 and limiting all polyunsaturated fats to 10% of total fats is critical.

Also insulin has been known to overactivate the sebaceous gland. Make sure to keep carbs and proteins low and saturated and monounsaturated fat high. Not polyunsaturated fats, as they suck. See the above statement.

Processed food and trans fats are a big no-no obviously. Also cooking of polyunsaturated fats is a big no-no. Don't eat cooked nuts or seeds and don't cook with anything other than animal fats or coconut oil.

Then there is of course nutrition. Make sure you are getting enough of EVERY essential nutrient, deficiencies in some nutrients do cause acne. This means using fitday or nutritionfacts to be sure you're getting everything you need.

Probiotics either from certain foods or supplements. HUGE importance. The gut is god.

With regards to digestion, some things like gluten and dairy have been known to cause all sorts of auto-immune inflammatory reactions.

Don't stress. Good emotional health.

Don't exercise too much, it's counterproductive. Go hard for 20 minutes twice a day or something like that. Strengthen your heart.

If you're doing all of that and you still have acne I will eat my foot.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Stabby-
    I can vow from personal experience that foot is quite tasty when chewed upon like gum. I only open my mouth to exchange feet some days, it seems. /thread hijack

Damn now I realize that if I'm wrong I'll have to cut it off first because I can't reach my foot with my face.

jimpag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I know it sounds really screwy, but I can make my occasional breakout go away just by dabbing toothpaste (not gel, a baking soda paste works ok too) on the spot itself.
    I really dont wanna use chemicals on my face, I guess its a lot of bad stuff in toothpaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    I went over this with my dad who suffers from some sort of arthritis today. If you don't tackle the source of the inflammation no amount of magical herbal witch-doctory is going to solve your problem. Don't get me wrong I think that ginger, oregano and turmeric have some great phytochemicals in them that can reduce inflammation and oxidative stress, I use all of these myself periodically, but that really really really really really isn't the cure.

Reducing omega 3-6 ratio to 1:1 and limiting all polyunsaturated fats to 10% of total fats is critical.

Also insulin has been known to overactivate the sebaceous gland. Make sure to keep carbs and proteins low and saturated and monounsaturated fat high. Not polyunsaturated fats, as they suck. See the above statement.

Processed food and trans fats are a big no-no obviously. Also cooking of polyunsaturated fats is a big no-no. Don't eat cooked nuts or seeds and don't cook with anything other than animal fats or coconut oil.

Then there is of course nutrition. Make sure you are getting enough of EVERY essential nutrient, deficiencies in some nutrients do cause acne. This means using fitday or nutritionfacts to be sure you're getting everything you need.

Probiotics either from certain foods or supplements. HUGE importance. The gut is god.

With regards to digestion, some things like gluten and dairy have been known to cause all sorts of auto-immune inflammatory reactions.

Don't stress. Good emotional health.

Don't exercise too much, it's counterproductive. Go hard for 20 minutes twice a day or something like that. Strengthen your heart.

If you're doing all of that and you still have acne I will eat my foot.
    Awesome post, really appreciate it. Yes I know supplements/herbs etc is no longtime cure and I definetly wanna find a longtime cure but thought herbs and supplements could help me get a good kickstart.

About the omega 3-6 ratio, how do I calculate out that? I use fitday so I guess I can see that there someway? My polyunsaturated fat is right now at average at 19.8 grams a day and 9% of calc daily.

About carbs, I already doing a low carb diet, tried some fruit and nuts last couple of days but gonna cut that of until I get everything under control. Have some work to do know but after work I gonna post fitday scrrenshots of my daily eating and see if you guys can help me tweak anything that looks bad.

I have quit most proccessed foods and do my cooking strictly with coconut oil. I think the only really bad in my diet right now is a couple of beers a week, chich Im gonna cut of totally untill acne is gone, beacause everytime I drink I get new pimples, dont know if its beacuse the carbs in the beers or the grains, because I break out from oatmeal and bread aswell.

How about allergies, heard some people get acne from food allergies/food sensitives, maybe I should go and do allergy testings and also check up vitamin levels, hormones, thyroid function and everything else?

I take a really good proviotic daily right now and thinking about also trying kefir or yougurt for some extra boost. But I usually break out from drinking milk, cheese and other dairy products so may wait to try that untill everything is under control.

I also do IF daily, fast for 16H and eat for 8H, really like this, gives me so much more energy during the day before I eat, because everytime after Ive eaten I get super tired, even if I eat a very healthy meal. This is supposedly very good for the insulin aswell. And giving my digestion a big break also sounds very good.

Stress is the hardest for me I guess, am a professional online poker player which is probably one of the most stressfull jobs in the world, but Im gonna buy some books on meditation and also try yoga to learn to relax. Any more tips for lowering stress? Btw, I also take a couple of epsom salt baths a week and that is super relaxing, gonna keep doing that.

About the exercise, I guess you mean 2 times a week? Or is it good to work out that much? Maybe you mean twice a day and like 3 times a week?

Again thanks allot for your post and I hope to get some more answers if you have time

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Er well 20 minutes twice a day is what I do because I love exercise. My point was that shorter durations of higher intensity>longer and lesser intensity. Work out as much as you feel like.

If you search my posts for a thread called "How much fat? Can there be too much?" I made a post on omega 3-6 ratio that pretty much sums up the basics. It turns out the only way to do it is know how much of each you're taking in. Sounds like that's the place to start since you have about 10% of calories as PUFA when I advocate no more than 10% of fats. How much fish oil are you taking and how much wild fish do you eat? On second thought read the post and let me know if you have questions.

edit: and that is one hell of a blog. I love that guy. A little sciencey but worth the effort.

Omega 3:6 balance is the place to start but all of that is going to be very helpful for long-term health.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    @Stabby, how can you say that all polyunsaturated fats suck? It depends on your source and the amount. I'm pretty sure polyunsaturated fats, o-6 and o-9, are both very vital fatty acids as long as ratios are looking good.. I aint givin' up my almonds or olive oil anytime soon personally... ;-)

They ruin my good time and make me cry.

Yes of course some are necessary and it's no crying shame to have some from olive oil and nuts and things. I'm more in the ratio matters more than total consumption camp. I still hate them for polluting avocados, nuts, bacon, etc. There's only so damn much fish and fish oil I can consume! Trying to attain a 1:1 ratio with a love for plant fats is agonizing!

Omega-9 is fine by me. I said polyunsaturated, he's a monounsaturated fat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast