Thread: 1st primal blood work page

Zanna is offline Senior Member

1st primal blood work

I got back the results of my 1st primal blood work and its pretty awesome. I have always had low total cholesterol, usually the total cholesterol is ~150. My HDLs are typical good, but the LDLs are higher, usually a 2 to one 1 ratio. I was worried that LDLs would go up due to increased saturated fats, but was pleasantly surprised. Here are numbers:

Total cholesterol: 133
    HDL: 60
    LDL: 62
    Tryglycerides: 57

So my basic blood work is even better than usual. The best part was my platelets. I have ITP, an autoimmune blood disorder. Low numbers before had correlated with fatigue, exhaustion, general weakness. Normal is 150k - 400k. Mine were usually anywhere from 40k - 75k. After cutting out grains etc, this week my platelets were 121k. That is still lower than the minimum of 150k, but way higher than I'm used to. The advice all along was to cut sugar and refined flours, but I was a sugar hound and found it hard to change. I changed for overall health reasons so am thrilled to see that my platelets were so much higher. They dropped down to 28k at one point and I was almost hospitalized. Am so happy that that my diet change seems to have made my numbers better. I definitely won't worry about saturated fats, just occasionally switching things up to lose weight. I only have 10 lbs to get to an ideal weight but still feel pretty good where I'm at. High energy, good workouts - I actually feel like I'm operating at close to 100% - primal has been the best thing I've done for myself in a long time.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Excellent! That's an awesome testament to taking charge of your health and turning it around for the better.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

ChattyKathy is offline Junior Member
    Congratulations on those results!

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like the grains were contributing to your autoimmune issues - congrats on the great numbers!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Tris good. HDL OK - could be better. LDL is low, contributing to a low overall total cholesterol. There is a lot of information out there to suggest that this is not a good thing
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Congratulations. I hope mine come back as good as yours. But you've been on PB almost 1 year and that has got to make a big difference in your favor. Yoy've done really good work.