Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reducing child anxiety page

teach2183 is offline Senior Member

Reducing child anxiety

Primal Fuel
    It appears that my 4.5yo has some issues with anxiety. She started biting her finger nails about 4 months ago, but I didn't think too much of it. We were in the middle of moving and I figured it would settle down. We've been in the new house over 2 months now and she hasn't stopped. We only moved 45 minutes, so not a huge deal. I'm trying to figure out how I can help her get over whatever might be bothering her.

A little background... she's a very bright kid reading, writing, and doing math work well beyond her age. We work on "school" things at home together but only when she's interested in it. I am home with her and her 2.5yo brother. She does gymnastics, attends story hour at the library, and takes swim lessons. We also go to museums and other fun places when everyone seems relaxed enough but always be sure to have at least 1 day where we don't get in the car.

Are there any foods I should try eliminating or adding? Her diet is pretty good and she'll try anything once.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps she would rather snack on beef jerky instead of fingernails for a protein fix? (my kids call it meat chewing gum)
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Possibly off-subject, but I recall a tv news segment years ago about toddler twins that were gnawing on all the wood in their house. Turns out that they had some sort of vitamin defiency that they were replacing with the wood.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Teach2183 - are you drawing attention to her bitten fingernails ???? or ignoring ?
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Teach2183 - are you drawing attention to her bitten fingernails ???? or ignoring ?
    I generally ignore, but will silently push her fingers away from her face if she's sitting next to me/in my lap when doing so.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    My oldest child did it a while ago, and I used that stop nail bite stuff.
    First is trying to break the habit of it.
    But also you need to deal with the anxiety. Are you talking to her about what is bothering her?

Is her diet primal? No processed foods, additives etc?

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I generally ignore, but will silently push her fingers away from her face if she's sitting next to me/in my lap when doing so.
    the ignore/don't make a big deal button - isn't always the easiest button to push - so well done for that.

As for anxiety ? i certainly noticed that sugar triggered all sorts of negetive reactions in one of my children, and to this day she still reacts adversely to too much sugar.
    however I think the anxiety issues she was and still does display are more about attention, so not sure with your wee one.
    Good luck thou
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    My oldest child did it a while ago, and I used that stop nail bite stuff.
    First is trying to break the habit of it.
    But also you need to deal with the anxiety. Are you talking to her about what is bothering her?

Is her diet primal? No processed foods, additives etc?
    I'm more concerned with dealing with the anxiety. I asked her several times what is bothering her today and am always available to listen. This morning we were snuggling in bed and she asked if I love her (I tell her at least 10x/day!) and then pushed on to whether I still love her when she's grumpy or does something wrong. Of course I told her I'll always and forever love her no matter what. She seemed to be okay with that. At dinner tonight she asked about why my mom (we call her grandma angel) died (well before DD was born). I believe in being honest, especially since I know she'd catch me in even a little fib. So I started with saying she was very sick. But DD pressed for more info so I said cancer and she asked what that is. When DH got home tonight he went in to say good night to her and she told him she's worried about my grandfather (94) and whether he'll live long enough to meet my brother's baby (due next month). Her mind (like mine) never seems to stop and is a total sponge for anything and everything she hears.

I am working on a more and more primal diet. The worst thing the kids have on any regular basis is lunch meat. Although our other meat is also not organic/grassfed. We just started a CSA so this past week they have had lots of organic spinach, carrots, and eggs. Today we had eggs cooked in butter with spinach, peppers, and strawberries for breakfast; meatballs over pasta (non-GMO corn based) for lunch; apples and cheese for snack; and pork ribs with potato "fries" (wedges drizzled w/ olive oil, salt, garlic powder and baked) and mixed frozen veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    however I think the anxiety issues she was and still does display are more about attention, so not sure with your wee one.
    Good luck thou
    That's what I thought at first. But she does it while sitting in my lap or snuggling next to me while I read to her a book she's chosen.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    thats a tough one.
    I think just keep doing what you are doing, as well as breaking the habit as well if you can.
    Talking with children is great, you are doing the right thing. I agree about being honest with kids too, that is great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast