Thread: My return to primal! page

RubyRobin is offline Junior Member

My return to primal!

Shop Now
    Hey everyone. My name's Kay, I'm a 27 year old jewellery designer based in Cork City, Ireland. I used to follow primal, about 4 years ago when I was studying Nutritional Science in College.

At that point I was super slim, healthy and fit, living an amazingly healthy country life, growing veg, hiking, breathing clean air and all that. Since I graduated I went into burnout with regards nutrition, after 6 years of relentless passion for the subject, I couldn't being myself to read so much as an article in a magazine to do with diet or health. So I became slowly but surely less interested and motivated, and my diet deteriorated beyond all recognition.

To make things worse, we moved back to the city, and our activity levels plummeted with the transition. We were both working all the time, I had no time to cook, barely any time to shop and definitely no time to grow any vegetables ourselves! Fast forward 2-3 years and now I'm a jewellery designer who works from home, which means I spend nearly every waking hour with my butt glued to a chair, hunched up making something fiddly or staring at a computer monitor.

All in all, not a great lifestyle, and my health has fallen to pieces in the last few months. I've had a sinus infection for nearly three weeks as of today, before that I had the vomiting bug and before that I had another sinus infection (this all since mid December)., my skin is in bits and my IBS is constantly nagging at me.

Weight wise, it's crept up very slowly but surely, I've gained 3 inches on my waist in those years and gone from a fit, toned UK size 8 to a dumpy UK size 12. My fitness level is embarrassing, I have no muscle tone anywhere anymore. I'm way to far into the curvy spectrum for my liking. I need to get on top of this now, I don't want to look back in ten years in regret. I don't have much to lose, but in some ways that makes it harder, as it's too easy to accept yourself when it's only a few pounds or a dress size. But I know in my heart it won't really stop here, in another 2 years I'll be a size 14 and so on. Aging sucks!

I've begun making small changes over the last few days, like cutting out wheat and cutting down on sugar. I will start to take things further and get more primal as I go from tomorrow on. For the record, I will be including dairy and coffee, and a small amount of soaked/fermented oats in my diet, at least at the start.

Exercise will be walking (It takes me an hour to walk to the post office with my orders, half of that is us a steep hill) and hopefully an gardening in a new allotment soon. I always found gardening a great all round fitness builder, especially if there's lots of digging and lifting. I'm also going to do a bit of strength training stuff at home, dumbells, sit ups and maybe get my kettlebell back out too.

I hope you'll all support me and give me a verbal kick up the arse when I need it! Thanks

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back!
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Welcome back!
    Thanks very much Dee It's good to be back!

Breakfast: Coffee with milk

and...

Sweet potato, bacon and egg salad

1 medium sized sweet potatoe, cut into small chunks, seasoned with balsamic vinegar, pepper, chili powder, sweet paprika and cinnamon and roasted.
    4 boiled eggs, quartered
    6 slices of fried smoky bacon, chopped into bits
    1 red pepper, diced
    spring onions
    dressing: olive oil, lemon juice and a bit of garlic.

This made enough for 3-4 meals, it could really do with more eggs for a better protein to carb ratio, but I only had 4 in the fridge!

10 mins of arm exercises with dumbbells, 20 sit ups, 20 twisty sit ups (not sure of the proper term )

Going into the city today to meet a friend and go to the hairdressers, I rarely take a whole morning or afternoon off work, so I'm making a point of walking in and hopefully out too, which should take 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours altogether!

Hope you all have a good day in your part of the world!

Friday continued...

Snacks: 2 handfuls roasted hazelnuts
    1 apple
    2 handfuls black grapes
    Small glass orange juice
    Latte

Lunch: Bacon, chicken, avocado salad on roast potatoes with leaves (eaten out)

Dinner: Leftover sweet potato, bacon and egg salad
    Leafy green salad
    Courgette (zucchini) pancakes with fresh pesto

Courgette pancakes

2 medium grated courgettes
    1 cup grated cheddar
    1/2 onion grated (optional)
    1 tsp garam masala
    3-4 eggs
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    Butter or coconut oil (for frying)

- Just mix all the bits together, except from the butter and fry until golden!

So today went really well, clocked up lots of miles traipsing around the city. Didn't have any skin breakout so far today (yay!), my complexions been terrible lately from being sick and not getting enough exercise so really hoping I'm looking more vibrant by next week for a really important job interview I have!

No sugar cravings so far either, although I have clocked up a lot of healthy carbs today, so maybe that's why! I'm not going to worry about my overall carb intake for now, just going to focus on eliminating refined sugars and grains and hopefully I'll ease the dependence off gradually.

Even psychologically I feel so much better, just knowing I've taken control of the situation and that's making me feel better about myself physically.

Breakfast: big handful grapes
    big handful roasted hazelnuts
    courgette pancakes
    tomatoe and red pepper salsa
    coffee with milk

Dinner: burger
    tomato, leaf and feta salad
    fresh pesto
    Slice of smoky bacon

Snacks: Coffee with milk
    4 thin slices salami
    Handful of grapes
    Handful of roast hazelnuts
    1 raisin and nut cookie
    (made with rolled oats, raisins, nuts, cinammon, vanilla, baking powder, eggs, butter and a tiny bit of honey)

Didn't get any exercise today, my stomachs pretty torn up after two days of sit ups so thought I might give the strength training a break for a day to heal.

I was really busy working all day too, so didn't get the time to go for a walk Hoping to go on a really good walk tomorrow if the weathers ok.

Day three since I came off wheat and all other grains apart from a small amount of oats, and a not a grumble from my stomach! Usually my IBS bothers me a lot in the early morning and late at night, so it's a huge relief to be pain free for a change!

Breakfast: courgette omlette
    1 big tomato sliced
    2 slices smoky bacon
    small glass of OJ

Snacks:handful of almonds
    apple
    Few slices salami
    1 small oat cookie
    2 Handfuls of grapes

Lunch/DinnerEgg and tomato curry

Been riddled with sugar craving today, don't know what's going on! Got a good long walk on the beach in and will do my weights and sit ups later.

PrimalCon New York
    Yesterday we went to Kilkenny to visit friends and family for a few days. Usually visiting people is my biggest downfall, I broke the rules a bit, but pretty sure I stayed within the 80:20 guideline, which is so good compared to usual! My worst deviation was having some pop corn at the cinema, but considering I usually manage a pound of pick and mix at the cinema, I feel like I still did really well. My IBS still flared up on the way down unfortunately, I think it must be the traveling on Irish roads triggering it off.

Breakfast: 3 sausages with fried onions and mushrooms and fresh pesto
    2 x coffee with milk

Snacks: Apple
    Handful of almonds

At the cinema: 4 squares sugar free chocolate (sweetened with xylitol)
    Half a smallish bag of roasted cashews
    Half a small popcorn
    Glass of orange juice

Dinner: Roast chicken breast
    1 Stuffed potato skin (cheese and onion)
    Beetroot salad
    Carrot and pumpkin seed salad
    Broccoli and carrot salad
    Lots of salad leaves with balsamic dressing

Exercise: 20 sit ups, 20 twisty sit ups
    Walk home from the cinema (only 20-30 mins but better than nothing)