Thread: The Cardio/Sprint Line? page

Rojo is online now Senior Member

The Cardio/Sprint Line?

Primal Fuel
    Where is it drawn? I know there's probably a heart-rate answer. But does anyone have an easy rule of thumb?

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of joining a whaleboat racing group. It looks like a workout. But there are eight rowers in the boat who have to work together, i.e, one can't just go "all out".

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    A full-out, maximum-intensity sprint will last up to 20 seconds or so, for most people.

The only thing that really defines "chronic cardio" is the lack of recovery- doing long runs (45 minutes or more) day after day, without properly resting.

You should be fine.

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Sprinting is cardio. You cannot run fast without your CV system being very involved.

If you mean "Chronic Cardio" I consider that to be at a point where you're doing more harm than good. Here's a talk by a (former endurance athlete) cardiologist that goes into a bit of detail: https://vimeo.com/54864015

Basically it takes quite a lot of duration before you're doing harm (heart-wise, joints might hurt earlier). Probably >10 hrs week.

If you think Whale boating would be fun, do it.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    +1 to both responses you got so far.

Rojo is online now Senior Member
    Thanks people. I guess I wanted to know if it counted toward a weekly sprint. It sounds like it depends on the duration. I haven't done it yet, so I don't know.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    It depends on the duration because it depends on the intensity. Any level of intensity you can maintain for more than about 30 seconds isn't really a "sprint" in the sense that we use it around here. If you're absolutely done, cooked, smoked, beat, withered, and ready to die after 20 seconds, you can consider it a "max effort" a/k/a sprint. If you're new to intervals of high intensity (I'm intentionally avoiding the debate of what's HIT and what's HIIT and blah blah for simplicity's sake), start with 4-6 intervals with as much recovery time between as you feel is necessary to enable you to undergo another max effort. Once this seems easy enough, start limiting your rest period (and gradually shortening it) and increasing the number of intervals, but not to more than 10 or 12.