Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My body is in a rut page

14emom is offline Member

My body is in a rut

I went primal back around Thanksgiving time. I lost 7lbs within the first 6 weeks. I am happy about that, and I seem to be maintaining that progress. I would like to lower my bodyfat %. I have been doing P90X2 for a month, before that P90X for the year of 2012. Before I was eating primal, I ate 40-40-20. My weight loss was very, very, slow. The only thing that kept me from going insane was the fact that I measured myself and knew that I was losing inches. The issue for me is that it seems like my body falls into a rut. It gets very used to a certain way of eating or working out, and just kind of plateaus. This is probably why my body let go of the weight when I switched to primal, because it was so foreign to my body, and tricked it. I don't want to change to another way of eating, I love primal, I'm glad I'm not starving just to be fit. But I feel like my body is falling into that rut again. I can't stand that my body is this way, I feel like I need to trick it to get it to release the fat. I am 5 lbs from my goal weight, but honestly, even if the scale doesn't change I'm ok with that. I just want to build more muscle. Does anyone else have this issue? I am not going to give up, I know something's gotta give at a certain point. Any suggestions on how to eat primal, not let my body get used to this way of eating, and to build muscle to replace that fat (I know that fat doesn't turn to muscle). I am starting phase 2 of P90x2, so I will be lifting weights now.

43 year old female
    5'3"
    126 lbs
    1800-2000 calories a day
    I eat 15-15-70 p-c-f

PS My hubby just went primal- yipee!!!!

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Yippee indeed. I am so happy for you and hope my dh follows suit one day.

I look forward to your other answers re getting in a rut. Maybe fasting will be suggested??

Congrats on all your progress to date.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    You did P90X for a year? That's amazing, way to go! I've done a couple rounds of it, but just haven't had the willpower to do it for that long.

We women, unfortunately, are hardgainers when it comes to muscle, generally. The best way to get your body to make enough HGH and testosterone to help you add muscle more quickly is going to be to work your big muscles- glutes, thighs, hammies. Have you tried incorporating sprinting sessions? Also, what is your protein intake? I know they say we only need 1/4-1/2g protein per pound body weight but I find I gain more muscle when I am eating 1g per pound of body weight. I have to supplement to do that, but I had a shake that had 38g protein per glass and so that made it pretty easy plus it was a satisfying meal.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

14emom is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    t Also, what is your protein intake? I know they say we only need 1/4-1/2g protein per pound body weight but I find I gain more muscle when I am eating 1g per pound of body weight. I have to supplement to do that, but I had a shake that had 38g protein per glass and so that made it pretty easy plus it was a satisfying meal.
    My protein is 68 grams a day. Maybe I should lower my fat a bit, and up the protein? And I haven't started the sprinting yet. I have been recently thinking about it though. Is that 1 gram per lean muscle or total body weight. Just wanted to clarify bc I know Mark says lean mass. You're so right about us women and building muscle, and I feel like the older I get, the harder it gets. I am going to lift HEAVY. Do you notice a difference when you lift compared to cardio? I wear a bodybugg, so I can see the difference between and the calorie burn on weight lifting and cardio days. Weight lifting days I burn at least 300 more calories.
    I really appreciate your response, I've seen you around the forum, and noticed that you are quite sensible.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think that it's a mistake to measure your weight.

You have two different goals (losing fat and building muscle) and conflating 'success' in a downwards trend on the scale will subtly sabotage you in your workouts.

Lift heavy things. Build functional fitness. The rest will come.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

14emom is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I think that it's a mistake to measure your weight.

You have two different goals (losing fat and building muscle) and conflating 'success' in a downwards trend on the scale will subtly sabotage you in your workouts.

Lift heavy things. Build functional fitness. The rest will come.
    Very true.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest upping your protein as well. If your goal is to build muscle, P90X might not be the right program for you. I would get on a starting strength or other beginner lifting program. It's also hard to build muscle if you eat at maintenance as opposed to a surplus. You would likely gain some fat, but the muscle will come faster and the fat can be stripped later.

14emom is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    I would suggest upping your protein as well. If your goal is to build muscle, P90X might not be the right program for you. I would get on a starting strength or other beginner lifting program. It's also hard to build muscle if you eat at maintenance as opposed to a surplus. You would likely gain some fat, but the muscle will come faster and the fat can be stripped later.
    I know I probably should be eating at a surplus, but gaining the fat would probably drive me crazy. Is there any way to build muscle without gaining fat?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Try intermittent fasting.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

14emom is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Intermittent fasting is not good for me at this point. Chronic dieting and eating too little calories to lose weight has screwed up my body. I would like to eventually, once my body heals from all of that, but at this point my body will go into starvation mode.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast