Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Conventional Wisdom page 4

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Also, BigBipper, I mostly eat foods CW actually recommends. My shopping list is pretty short:

Salmon, salmon and more salmon
    Vegetables
    Potatoes/sweet potatoes
    Eggs
    Red wine
    Raw almonds
    Gourmet cheese
    Gourmet chocolate
    Chicken
    A little Lamb and lean beef
    A very little bacon for seasoning
    A little fruit
    Avocados from our trees

I just leave out a few things CW recommends. A slight oversight. But no need to slather the fat if you are concerned.

With a diet like this you can be sure my HDL is pretty decent, my triglycerides are awesome and my total cholesterol would probably get me a lecture from my doctor. I just nod my head and ignore.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

BigBipper is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    And look where that "knowledge" got you after 38 years of blind belief. After all the crap you've been consuming you choose NOW to worry about cholesterol and fat numbers???

Humans evolved and thrived from the beginning of time eating animal fat, and some fatty plants, depending on the region. Industrial seed oils didn't exist until 100 years ago. Canola and soy only since the 60s or 70s. Same with High Fructose Corn Syrup, or the damn omnipresent soy. Wrap your brain around that!

Stop eating numbers, and start eating real food. Trust that your body know what to do with real food.

And welcome by the way
    I guess I started to worry about cholesterol and fat number because I finally started to document consumption. Then when you compare those numbers to "blind belief", I worried.

Stop eating numbers...you're damn right. Thanks again for the support. Happy to have found this place.

I watched Fathead last week. What an a$$hole that Ancel Keyes guy was!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBipper View Post
    I watched Fathead last week. What an a$$hole that Ancel Keyes guy was!
    A detailed read.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Bigbipper good luck with it all.
    Do some reading on raw for dogs. Even commercial grain free food is not great for them, its cooked and processed. Dogs need raw meaty bones

Raw Meaty Bones
    Thank you. One thing I have done well is take care of the dogs. I use Orijen Six Fish for the pups now. I eased them into the higher protein by using Taste of the Wilderness Salmon. It is amazing how shiny their coats are.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Also, BigBipper, I mostly eat foods CW actually recommends. My shopping list is pretty short:

Salmon, salmon and more salmon
    Vegetables
    Potatoes/sweet potatoes
    Eggs
    Red wine
    Raw almonds
    Gourmet cheese
    Gourmet chocolate
    Chicken
    A little Lamb and lean beef
    A very little bacon for seasoning
    A little fruit
    Avocados from our trees

I just leave out a few things CW recommends. A slight oversight. But no need to slather the fat if you are concerned.

With a diet like this you can be sure my HDL is pretty decent, my triglycerides are awesome and my total cholesterol would probably get me a lecture from my doctor. I just nod my head and ignore.
    WOW!! That list would make the FDA Food Pyramid collapse. I love just about everything in it. Especially the cheese. AND chocolate? What kind? How? Are all nuts created the same?
    Get busy Groking or get busy dying. That's damn right!

oxide is offline Senior Member
    You aren't the only one struggling with "break conventional wisdom." A primal co-worker and I discuss it a lot. I mean really, all you do is just STOP eating some stuff, right? Yet, along the way, you have to re-tool a lot more of your life than you think. For me, a trip to the grocery store is a revelation. For my co-worker, it was the realization why he exercised his life out, yet never went below a certain weight.

Speaking of documentaries, you may like "King Corn." You can watch trailers and stuff here:

King Corn | The Peabody-winning documentary from Mosaic Films Incorporated

At the end, the filmmakers interview the "villain" of King Corn, former Secretary of Agriculture Earl Butz. One of the filmmakers wrote an article about the interview here:

Meeting King Corn — Earl Butz was a product of his time :: by Curt Ellis :: Culinate
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Dark chocolate, 85% cacao or higher. Lots of good ones available. Search the threads for recommendations...

Yeah, my shopping list looks similar to SB's.

I know many of you are past the days of "Eating numbers". However, did you all have to start somewhere? Surely, you had a starting point and have tailor-made your lifestyle around that. To the point that you are most likely on auto pilot.

Could you suggest where a 38 year old, 306lb, 5'9", man who is currently lightly active could/should at least start as far as calorie intake? Fat/Protein/Carb breakdown?

Thanks again.
    Get busy Groking or get busy dying. That's damn right!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yep, I try for the 85% chocolate or higher if I can.

Not sure why you think the food pyramid is on its head. I guess it is, but don't doctors recommend you eat fish and vegetables all the time? I don't eat many eggs, but doctors will tell you now that eggs are not a problem, the choline is healthy, and when pressed, most doctors will admit that dietary cholesterol doesn't really affect your blood cholesterol. But then they'll backslide and say some "better safe than sorry" bs.

As for nuts, I eat raw almonds because that's what I buy for my parrots. We always have them around. I eat gourmet cheese because it's tasty and if it's really stinky, harder to overeat.

Basically, I just eat all real, healthy foods, lots of fish, lean meat and vegetables. I don't eat fast food. I just don't do the whole grain thing. Any doctor should think I'm genius so long as I hide the part about not eating the grains and maybe leave out the lamb and pork.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast