Thread: Breaking Conventional Wisdom

Threaded View

Question Breaking Conventional Wisdom

Hello All,
    I am so happy to have found this lifestyle and this wealth of knowledge that MDA provides. The most difficult time I am having is NOT believing that Saturated Fat is Bad...Cholesterol is Bad... and that Whole Grains are good. I guess this is like believing that the Earth was flat, then being told it was round.

I am 38 years old, 306 pounds, and my entire life I have struggled with my weight. I have also been told, and believed that the Earth was flat, so I am struggling with the comprehension that I should be eating more meat and less wheat. Grok is telling me that the Earth is indeed round. I am trying to undue 38 years of "knowledge"

The problem is that I cant seem to wrap my head around it. Its like trying to feed myself with my left hand now. I have been tracking my intake and I am horrified to read daily numbers like 125 grams of fat! 40 grams of Saturated fat!! A Paltry 70 Net Carbs, and 150 grams of Protein. That is STILL under 2200 calories a day. I mean, my usual diet generally put me at around 3200-3500 a Day. There is no way I could hit 3500 calories without Pizza, my beloved M&Ms, and Bagels.

However, I have been so predisposed to the "Fat is Bad" theory that I worry that I may drop dead by Saturday morning at this rate. I do feel a little better. And my nasty addiction to Chocolate has been pretty tamed. But I am still worried. I mean, 1000mg of Cholesterol consumed in 1 day? That's insane right? Or is it?
    Last edited by BigBipper; 02-07-2013 at 12:04 PM.