Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53

Thread: Breaking Conventional Wisdom page 2

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Account closed
    Posts
    1,502
    In addition to the good comments above, I'd add that grains are what farmers feed cows to fatten them up quickly. Grass-fed cows take longer to fatten and usually don't get as large. Grains are cheap and nutritionally worthless filler food, and even "whole grains" are usually refined to the point that they are basically the equivalent to a giant dose of sugar to your system.

    Avoid processed foods. They are the mega-whammy of grains, sugars, and industrial oils. The longer you stay Primal, the clearer this becomes. You will eventually see all your old food choices as having disturbing consequences to health - not only weight, per se, but to all aspects of health.

    Your body uses all sorts of fats, the polyunsaturated fats in nuts and fishes, the saturated fats in red meat, the monounsaturated fats in olive oil. Fats are usually delivered in some combination of the three, as in the case of lard, about 45% saturated and 55% unsaturated (oleic acid, just like olive oil). Ditch the tired metaphors of "artery-clogging saturated fats." Your arteries are not toilets, and bacon is not a bowl-clogger. Think of fats as a spectrum of stability, with saturated fats the MOST stable against rancidity and oxidation, monounsaturated being very stable, and polyunsaturated ("healthy") fats as being very unstable, almost as bad as trans-fats. (Polyunsaturated fats - PUFAs - are more stable in whole food sources like fish and nuts, but nuts go rancid easily, and fish will turn fishy if not used quickly.) Why are PUFAs (soy, vegetable, corn, canola oils) pushed so hard? Because they return giant profits. How much profit does my local farmer get from selling me some nice lard, as opposed to what Wesson makes off of vegetable oil?

    Refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), agave nectar, all these are just pushed onto you mercilessly. We're kids in a candy store to food manufacturers. Avoid at all costs. Again, cheap food = big profits. Grain is cheap. Industrial oils are cheap. Sugar and HFCS is cheap.

    Eat quality foods. Whenever possible remember that there is also a spectrum of whole foods, where grass-fed beef and pastured pork and chicken is better than industrially-raised, and locally-grown produce using organic and sustainable methods may result in more nutritious produce.

    See past the advertising, the cascade error of CW repeated numbingly, question and question some more. Eat well, play often, and enjoy.

  2. #12
    BigBipper's Avatar
    BigBipper is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    How long have you been Primal? Have you had any signs of carb flu?

    And you have a great avatar.

    By the way, Primal will work without doing exercise, at least it did for me. Not sure the OP should be working out at this weight. Just walk around a little bit.
    Hello, Oxide....
    I have been reading about Paleo since about October...I started about 3 weeks ago, but am really starting to hit my stride now. Regarding the Carb Flu? I am assuming that is withdrawal? If so, then yes. Felt like crap. Also dealing/dealt with M&M withdrawal...yes, I think it should be an actually clinical diagnosis. Sweets were such a big part of my life. Chocolate...lots of it.

    Thank you...like Bacon...the Beatles always make it better!!

  3. #13
    vintageeats's Avatar
    vintageeats is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    93
    Hi, BigBipper. This is a great place for you to start your journey. The support here is awesome and you are doing the right thing.

    Funny, I think of the same thing as Finnegans Wake - cows are always the association when I'm presented with grains. I remember I was having dinner with friends one night in Seattle, and one of them, a chef, was examining the menu. One of the dishes had sprouted barley on it. He looks up with this glint in his eye and says, "mm, fodder". This man does magic with all things porcine. I digress - AGREED with all that's said above. Wholeheartedly. Eat real food, avoid chemicals, keep at it, because you have nothing to lose at this point except for weight.

  4. #14
    BigBipper's Avatar
    BigBipper is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Keep hanging around here, but stick to the positive posts, not the ones where we argue about stupid all-potato diets and crap. You'll start seeing the bad guys and the good guys very differently. Realize that those hearthealthywholegrains make you sick and fat, that the healthy PUFA's are actually poisons to your system, and that your grandma or great-grandma ate butter from grass-fed cows and knew intuituvely that margarine was an abomination when it hit the market.
    You'll be fine. Stick it out. Trade the bagel for bacon & eggs. Good luck.
    Rich...it is so funny what you say about Grandma and Margarine. My Nanny did every thing in butter. She would fry veal with just peppers and Garlic slices in it. She so rarely used Veggie Oil on anything. Her baking was always butter based.

    Funny thing is, that her mother, my great-grandmother, always had an apron on. In that apron were always a stick of Soppressata (Italian Dry Salami) and a hunk of Provolone that was so sharp that it made your tongue bleed. She gnawed on these things all day long. Do you know that woman lived to 103 years old?
    Huh, my grandma Chicki was doing Atkins before anyone. :-)

    If it was good for her, guess it is good for me.

  5. #15
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    In addition to the good comments above, I'd add that grains are what farmers feed cows to fatten them up quickly. Grass-fed cows take longer to fatten and usually don't get as large. Grains are cheap and nutritionally worthless filler food, and even "whole grains" are usually refined to the point that they are basically the equivalent to a giant dose of sugar to your system.

    Avoid processed foods. They are the mega-whammy of grains, sugars, and industrial oils. The longer you stay Primal, the clearer this becomes. You will eventually see all your old food choices as having disturbing consequences to health - not only weight, per se, but to all aspects of health.

    Your body uses all sorts of fats, the polyunsaturated fats in nuts and fishes, the saturated fats in red meat, the monounsaturated fats in olive oil. Fats are usually delivered in some combination of the three, as in the case of lard, about 45% saturated and 55% unsaturated (oleic acid, just like olive oil). Ditch the tired metaphors of "artery-clogging saturated fats." Your arteries are not toilets, and bacon is not a bowl-clogger. Think of fats as a spectrum of stability, with saturated fats the MOST stable against rancidity and oxidation, monounsaturated being very stable, and polyunsaturated ("healthy") fats as being very unstable, almost as bad as trans-fats. (Polyunsaturated fats - PUFAs - are more stable in whole food sources like fish and nuts, but nuts go rancid easily, and fish will turn fishy if not used quickly.) Why are PUFAs (soy, vegetable, corn, canola oils) pushed so hard? Because they return giant profits. How much profit does my local farmer get from selling me some nice lard, as opposed to what Wesson makes off of vegetable oil?

    Refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), agave nectar, all these are just pushed onto you mercilessly. We're kids in a candy store to food manufacturers. Avoid at all costs. Again, cheap food = big profits. Grain is cheap. Industrial oils are cheap. Sugar and HFCS is cheap.

    Eat quality foods. Whenever possible remember that there is also a spectrum of whole foods, where grass-fed beef and pastured pork and chicken is better than industrially-raised, and locally-grown produce using organic and sustainable methods may result in more nutritious produce.

    See past the advertising, the cascade error of CW repeated numbingly, question and question some more. Eat well, play often, and enjoy.
    There you go. Print this out and read it to yourself every morning, before every meal, every time you go to the bathroom, and several additional times/day.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBipper
    Rich...it is so funny what you say about Grandma and Margarine. My Nanny did every thing in butter. She would fry veal with just peppers and Garlic slices in it. She so rarely used Veggie Oil on anything. Her baking was always butter based.

    Funny thing is, that her mother, my great-grandmother, always had an apron on. In that apron were always a stick of Soppressata (Italian Dry Salami) and a hunk of Provolone that was so sharp that it made your tongue bleed. She gnawed on these things all day long. Do you know that woman lived to 103 years old?
    Huh, my grandma Chicki was doing Atkins before anyone. :-)

    If it was good for her, guess it is good for me.
    There you go. When you feel doubt creeping in about the safety of sat fats and cholesterol, just think of grandma Chicki with her apron.

  6. #16
    BigBipper's Avatar
    BigBipper is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    In addition to the good comments above, I'd add that grains are what farmers feed cows to fatten them up quickly. Grass-fed cows take longer to fatten and usually don't get as large. Grains are cheap and nutritionally worthless filler food, and even "whole grains" are usually refined to the point that they are basically the equivalent to a giant dose of sugar to your system.
    Thanks for all the advice and insight, Finnegan. You guys really know your stuff and explain in a way that anyone can relate to. I totally appreciate you all taking the time to help me out. I'd hate to scare myself out of this and go back to eating "healthy carbs", only to find myself at 325lbs in a year. So everyone's reply have really put a burst in my sail.

    You are so right about the grains fed to the cows. 3 years ago I started feeding my pups real protein based kibble and not the Corn-based Ol' Roy crap Wal Mart. 50% protein, lots of fats, and NO GOD DAMN CORN!!!

    What prompted it was that I had a beautiful Alaskan Malamute who I had to put down for no other reason then he became too fat and damaged his hips over the years. I could never get his weight under control. I never target his type of food...just his portions. He got so much exercise and I really limited his portions. It didn't matter. Eventually the years of extra weight caused some serious hip issues. It pains me because he had all his bearings and senses still and he was only 8. I have no doubt that I literally fed the boy to death.

    Ironically, at that point, I was about 270 lbs. I should have put myself on the same primal diet my dogs went on.

    I guess grains do kill.

    Below, my Nanuk. Gone all too soon.

    2584_1047726112002_7622855_n.jpg

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Account closed
    Posts
    1,502
    Ever read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan? The section on corn is really an eye-opener. America is literally corn-fed. An interesting read.

    Totally understand about pets and diet - there are a few threads on this site about that. My dog (best in the world, naturally!) just turned 10. I've tried to feed him the best diet I can, avoiding kibble (and treats) with grain, selecting canned food with good ingredients, making him grass-fed beef liver regularly (did I mention my dog loves me, LOL?). He's all black, with a few brushstrokes of gray, under the chops, on the belly, on the haunches. But he's stayed within 5# of his weight when he was 2 all his life, he runs like a freakin' gazelle, he plays like a puppy, and shows no sign of slowing down. So yeah, Primal works for man's best friend.

    BTW, check out eatwild.com and localharvest.org. Eat Wild is a great way to find local farms, especially if you can buy meat in bulk (and have a freezer). Local Harvest lists farms and CSAs, for a regular supply of quality produce. There's half your battle right there. Supermarkets? Warehouse stores? Your reliance on them will go way down...

    There is some diversity of opinion on whether someone who needs to lose weight should go very low carb until normalized. You can drive yourself mad reading both sides of that argument. But if everything were spelled out for you, what fun would that be? Carbs per se are not the enemy, but I do believe there is some validity to getting your weight and insulin sensitivity tuned up before going laissez faire with carbs. Regardless, there are healthy carbs, and they come from tubers, and fruit, and vegetables. Gotta run, but Google up "acellular carbohydrates." Some good reading there. Refined versus natural. All those healthy grains are, well, not.

    Cheers, wish you the best!

  8. #18
    whitebear's Avatar
    whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBipper View Post
    Thanks for all the advice and insight, Finnegan. You guys really know your stuff and explain in a way that anyone can relate to. I totally appreciate you all taking the time to help me out. I'd hate to scare myself out of this and go back to eating "healthy carbs", only to find myself at 325lbs in a year. So everyone's reply have really put a burst in my sail.

    You are so right about the grains fed to the cows. 3 years ago I started feeding my pups real protein based kibble and not the Corn-based Ol' Roy crap Wal Mart. 50% protein, lots of fats, and NO GOD DAMN CORN!!!

    What prompted it was that I had a beautiful Alaskan Malamute who I had to put down for no other reason then he became too fat and damaged his hips over the years. I could never get his weight under control. I never target his type of food...just his portions. He got so much exercise and I really limited his portions. It didn't matter. Eventually the years of extra weight caused some serious hip issues. It pains me because he had all his bearings and senses still and he was only 8. I have no doubt that I literally fed the boy to death.

    Ironically, at that point, I was about 270 lbs. I should have put myself on the same primal diet my dogs went on.

    I guess grains do kill.

    Below, my Nanuk. Gone all too soon.

    2584_1047726112002_7622855_n.jpg
    I have a great dog. One of the best I've ever had. She is a shepherd/rot mix and currently about 130lbs I would guess. I think the strain on her poor hips is starting to take its toll. She is definitely not overfed as she only gets two cups of food a day but it is a conventional dog food. I might try putting her on a primal diet. I'd like to get her back down to about 100lbs. She is only about 7 years old I think(adopted from a rescue)and I would sure love to keep her around for at least a few more years. I wonder if certain dogs are more sensitive to what they are fed. As a kid our two family dogs were fed purina dog chow exclusively with the exception of the occasional pizza crust and they both lived long healthy lives. Our rotty lived to be 14 which is old for the breed and our shepherd mix mutt made it to 15 or 16. Neither had any health issues over the years.

  9. #19
    BigBipper's Avatar
    BigBipper is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Ever read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan? The section on corn is really an eye-opener. America is literally corn-fed. An interesting read

    BTW, check out eatwild.com and localharvest.org. Eat Wild is a great way to find local farms, especially if you can buy meat in bulk (and have a freezer). Local Harvest lists farms and CSAs, for a regular supply of quality produce. There's half your battle right there. Supermarkets? Warehouse stores? Your reliance on them will go way down...

    There is some diversity of opinion on whether someone who needs to lose weight should go very low carb until normalized. You can drive yourself mad reading both sides of that argument. But if everything were spelled out for you, what fun would that be? Carbs per se are not the enemy, but I do believe there is some validity to getting your weight and insulin sensitivity tuned up before going laissez faire with carbs. Regardless, there are healthy carbs, and they come from tubers, and fruit, and vegetables. Gotta run, but Google up "acellular carbohydrates." Some good reading there. Refined versus natural. All those healthy grains are, well, not.

    Cheers, wish you the best!
    I saw the Documentary King Corn and stood flabbergasted. I thought those rows of corn were going to picnics for cob eating. Silly me. Eyes wide open, finally

    Dogs are awesome. They can't make any choices on what they eat, just hope they got wiser owners. I want to be that wise owner.

    I will check out these links for sure. My chest freezer is finally empty from processed foods for the kids such as Hot Pockets and Lean (my ass) Pockets for me. The only thing left in there is the venison we shot this year. Ready to fill it up with some tasty cow, pig, and poultry.

  10. #20
    BigBipper's Avatar
    BigBipper is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    46
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    White Bear,
    Another thing that may have hurt Nanuk is that we live in a split ranch. If the poor dog wanted to go anywhere in the house, he was on a flight of stairs...with the extra weight. They only time he did not come to the kitchen when I entered it was the night we had to put him down.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •