Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Since starting PB, I'm getting really wrinkly...help? page

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member

Since starting PB, I'm getting really wrinkly...help?

Shop Now
    Ok this is weird because I would think all the good fats in PB and all the clean foods would be good for my skin. But I've been Primal for about 2-1/2 months now, I'm down 15 lbs, and my face and hands look like I've aged 10 years. I have fine lines all over my face now that were not there before I started primal. My hands, also, just look...old.

Since I know people will ask- my diet looks like this:
    Breakfast is either 3 hard boiled eggs, a can of sardines or a protein shake and generally is around 300 calories. I also have one 12oz cup of coffee with stevia and almond milk.
    I don't snack but do drink tea (green tea, rooibos or herbal tea) in the morning.
    Lunch is usually a big azz salad of organic mixed herbs, tomatoes, 1 whole avocado, carrot, bell pepper and either steak or chicken on top with a balsamic vinegar/extra virgin olive oil dressing.
    Dinner is often red salmon, cod or steak and the veggies vary by day: broccoli, roasted vegetables like beets, carrots, leeks. Occasionally we have rice or quinoa, but not often.

I don't avoid fat at all. I do avoid processed foods, sugar, dairy (because I'm allergic). I used to eat fruit all the time, now it's maybe some fruit one day a week.

I exercise moderately on a daily basis, mostly walking.

My vices are drinking red wine and eating chocolate. I'm a sucker for dark chocolate.

I supplement the same way I have for years, as recommended by my Naturopathic Doctor:
    Selenium
    D3
    Fish Oil (only on days I don't eat fish)
    multi
    Curcumin (a turmeric extract for my joints)
    L-Lysine

The only new supplement in my diet is NAC, which was recommended by my doctor and in my research I've not found anything that would lead me to believe it's affecting my skin.

So this leads me to believe either my diet is causing my skin to wrinkle up, or it's the weight loss...but I've lost weight before at this rate and this didn't happen.

Ideas? Suggestions?
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

vyieort is offline Junior Member
    Congrats on losing 50 pounds! Could it be that the skin wrinkles were being masked by the stretching force of excess weight or fat? As in, when a balloon deflates, it's wrinkly as well. (Not trying to sound cruel, here.)

Obviously this is not an answer, so I'm curious if anyone has something more concrete. But, this would make sense, no? Or, maybe the wrinkles aren't permanent and the elasticity of the skin will recover as you decrease in weight. Losing 50 pounds, while great for ones health, certainly leaves excess coverage (skin) which ends up hanging on the body differently when filled out.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Weightloss and skin are not friends. I think it takes time. I'm dealing with the same issues. One thing that I noticed is that I drink less water now. I used to be a 10-12 glasses a day. Now it's about half that. Hydration helps keep skin plump and youthful. Maybe try drinking more water?

Also, as you age, skin wrinkles. You have to be somewhat proactive if you don't want it to age as quickly. If they are light wrinkles, get a cream with retinol. I do a tightening serum, neck cream and retinol, plus bi-monthly peels and it has helped tighten up my face and neck, botox erases the few wrinkles I do have. Note- this is not grok like. I know.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, as other people say, both losing the 'bloating' from water retention due to wheat intake, and weight loss in general can cause loose skin.

Give it time, and maybe try to put some muscles under your skin
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Thanks everyone. I guess the consensus is that it's the weight loss. Hopefully things will tighten up and I'll be back to my normal wrinkle-free appearance.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I'd say that you're either seeing wrinkles that would have been there had you never gained the weight (and never eaten primally, b/c processed oils are much more likely to lead to wrinkles than quality fats)(and the wrinkles were invisible for a while b/c you had them filled up with fat and/or water retention), or these are just skin that has deflated and will soon (with continued quality fats & adequate water intake) smooth out to close to what you would have had if you had never had the weight.

Or it could be Satan.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-07-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Knifegill asked the same question recently... some people would say it's not an uncommon occurrence on low carb diets. Here's teh thread: https://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread73085.html
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Knifegill asked the same question recently... some people would say it's not an uncommon occurrence on low carb diets. Here's teh thread: https://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread73085.html
    Thanks, I'll read through that. I had done a search on "wrinkles" but didn't look at variants like "aging". I appreciate the heads up.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I had the same thing happen, but it's definitely going away now. And I'm still low carb. My skin is now the softest and smoothest it's ever been.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Thanks, I'll read through that. I had done a search on "wrinkles" but didn't look at variants like "aging". I appreciate the heads up.
    No worries The anti low-carb people attribute it to an excessive amount of tryptophan being broken down from gluconeogenesis.

There's a lot of conflicting info in that thread so will be interested to hear what you think!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast