Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Since starting PB, I'm getting really wrinkly...help? page 4

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I ditched coffee. Cut back on meat (added more fruit), felt like crap, reinstated massive protein intake (cut the excess fruit). Looking young again! It was the coffee. Most likely.
    I've cut coffee out too. Wasn't linking it to skin at all - nasty IBS like symptoms!! And rotten sleep patterns when I drink it. Which leads to baggy eyes and black circles around them!

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Well crap. Coffee is the one vice I have thus far refused to give up...I always figured 12 oz of coffee a day shouldn't hurt me. *Sigh* I guess I could try it. Based on the responses here I may have to experiment to find out if it's my diet, my weight loss or my age. I guess it's time to start tweaking things and figure it out.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Paleobird Guest
    I have recently ditched even the decaf. It still has some caffeine in it and I tend to drink it by the pot not the cup. When I stick with just my rooibos tea, I find a notable improvement in my skin. It feels more elastic and has better all over even tone (w/o makeup).

There is some talk in the carnivorous community (which may or may not be scientifically verifiable) that the oils in coffee beans are not good for us even if we are drinking the decaf kind.

Interesting. Might be worth a try Dee.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I have recently ditched even the decaf. It still has some caffeine in it and I tend to drink it by the pot not the cup. When I stick with just my rooibos tea, I find a notable improvement in my skin. It feels more elastic and has better all over even tone (w/o makeup).

There is some talk in the carnivorous community (which may or may not be scientifically verifiable) that the oils in coffee beans are not good for us even if we are drinking the decaf kind.

Interesting. Might be worth a try Dee.
    You know, I am loathe to admit it, but when I drink more than one cup of coffee per day my lips get really dry I'm currenlty drinking upwards of four.

Think I'm going to have to try this too...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This agrees with something my own doctor told me. She said that in some people, the oils from coffee do something to the liver that affects how the liver processes cholesterol and the LDL cholesterol in that individual goes up. A small switch can help- I changed from drinking espresso (no filter) to filtered drip coffee and my LDL cholesterol dropped.

How fast did you notice a change in your skin after quitting coffee?

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    If you lose weight, you get loose skin. It has to do with weight loss, not with low carb.

Any ethical plastic surgeon will tell you to wait a year after weight loss to give the skin a chance to tighten up before going the surgery route.

I have a few crinkles under my chin where I used to have a double chin. At my age it would be reasonable to have a facelift, even if I had never lost any weight. So I don't blame the diet I have been eating. My arms have tightened up a lot, too. But who knows where they will be in a year?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    This agrees with something my own doctor told me. She said that in some people, the oils from coffee do something to the liver that affects how the liver processes cholesterol and the LDL cholesterol in that individual goes up. A small switch can help- I changed from drinking espresso (no filter) to filtered drip coffee and my LDL cholesterol dropped.

How fast did you notice a change in your skin after quitting coffee?
    Exactly. It's not so much about the caffeine per se although that is not good for you for lots of other reasons, it is about the liver. That's what the carnivores were saying too. Interesting to have that confirmed by a doctor.

It took about 3-4 weeks to see the change clearly.

I know it's a hard crutch to let go of but it might very well be worthwhile making the effort.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Damn. No more coffee?

I'm in, as soon as I'm through this last bag o' beans. Good whole bean coffee was one of my biggest food expenditures last year, as a matter of fact...
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

*Gets out imaginary scale*

Places desire for delicious coffee on one side...Vanity on the other

LOL. That is a tough one- I do love my coffee. But it seems worth trying!

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    i use my goat's milk soap on my face, but it is very very mild and has a lot of fat in it. Almost all fat, actually.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast