Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Since starting PB, I'm getting really wrinkly...help? page 2

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm 51 and have lost over 24 pounds and would also consider what I eat to be pretty low on the carb side (although there are times when it is higher for a period and then naturally crave less again).

I have not noticed more wrinkles, but I have also been using a moisturizer with retinol for a few years now, and before that a daily moisturizer since I was in my mid twenties.

Now with my new found love for the little bit of sun we get around here I may get wrinklier - oh well!
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I think many ppl "dieting" CW way, have the same problem. Of course we are all younger in our before picture, but some look much older in their afters. I always figured the wrinkles in our plump little faces were just filled with fat, now they are not.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Look at the pic of the bronzed woman on the cover of Weston Price's Nutrition & Physical Degeneration. She's 90 years old, been in the South Pacific sun her whole life, and has very few wrinkles.

Sun doesn't cause wrinkles (your skin expects the sun) unless your diet (esp. processed oils) & lifestyle (esp. lack of regular exposure to nature, bare feet and sun and night and all) break down your ability to be nourished, instead of harmed, by it. (Holes in the ozone probably don't help, either.)
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    No worries The anti low-carb people attribute it to an excessive amount of tryptophan being broken down from gluconeogenesis.
    That's a Ray Peat-ism AFAIK. I don't take it seriously. Here's why.

Your skin doesn't suddenly just become damaged in a few weeks, or ever 2.5 months. The cells simply aren't dying and turning over that quickly. What's happened is this:

1. You've lost some fat out from under your skin. It would be nice if we lost it from the gut (men) or thighs (women) first, but that's not how it works...it seems like the face is one of the first places we lose weight from.
    2. (Maybe) Your diet is solidly low-carb, so the muscles are carrying less glycogen, which means they have less volume to them. I'm not sure how much difference this makes: facial muscles are very small and mostly hidden under a layer of fat.

Result: you've deflated the balloon of water, fat, and muscle under your skin, and some wrinkles have appeared. It'll take time for your skin to "tighten up" over the new, smaller substrate...longer and longer as you age.

To speed it up, you can try things that either speed up cellular turnover (tretinoin), deliberately kill cells to speed up turnover (chemical peels), or stimulate reformation of collagen (dermarolling). Keep in mind that if you're worried about crows' feet, the thin skin around your eyes is typically avoided by the chemical peel.

You can also try drinking more water and eating more salt, which will promote greater fluid retention.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Have you checked your DHEA levels lately? Low DHEA is associated with wrinkly skin. Supplementation might help but it's something that has to be carefully monitored as it could cause hormonal imbalances.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Have you checked your DHEA levels lately? Low DHEA is associated with wrinkly skin. Supplementation might help but it's something that has to be carefully monitored as it could cause hormonal imbalances.
    I would have to say no- I don't think I've ever had my DHEA levels checked. I'll mention it to my doc next time I'm in. Might be a good time for some comprehensive bloodwork anyway.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad OP asked this. I'm in my early thirties and I have crow's feet that were not present 6 months ago that seem to deepen by the day. I did not lose a bunch of weight, maybe just some body fat. I started a retinol cream about 5 months ago, and that's when the wrinkles started. I stopped after one month, and things just seem to be getting worse. I use a 60% glyco-lactic acid peel 2x/month, almond oil massage 2x/week, and powdered topical vitamin C daily, with no results. My macros are around 50/30/20, so I don't think it's a lack of fat or carbs.

Sorry to hijack, but someone please tell me that Botox is NOT all there is left!
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Well, I say my piece in the other thread (about knowing two Paleo people who are haggard, oops, said it again!) Personally I don't think it's weight loss. I gained weight and it didn't lessen the wrinkles on my face!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieScreams View Post
    I'm glad OP asked this. I'm in my early thirties and I have crow's feet that were not present 6 months ago that seem to deepen by the day. I did not lose a bunch of weight, maybe just some body fat. I started a retinol cream about 5 months ago, and that's when the wrinkles started. I stopped after one month, and things just seem to be getting worse. I use a 60% glyco-lactic acid peel 2x/month, almond oil massage 2x/week, and powdered topical vitamin C daily, with no results. My macros are around 50/30/20, so I don't think it's a lack of fat or carbs.

Sorry to hijack, but someone please tell me that Botox is NOT all there is left!
    I'm very skeptical of those creams... google "retinol cream more wrinkles" (or something to that effect) and I think you'll find a bunch of people whose skin it it made worse.

What's your skin type? I think that's a really important factor to consider when starting any of these treatments.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You know, Mark's wife gets chemical peels. I think maybe it just needs to be done at some age.

I'm pretty wrinkly now, too. I think it's Satan because I seriously cannot feel the wrinkles with my fingers. I swear my skin feels soft, smooth and firm. But one look in the mirror and it's anything but soft, smooth and firm.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast