Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A bit afraid.... page

Fatty is offline Junior Member

A bit afraid....

Shop Now
    of eating primal. Back in the day, I was a hardcore Adkin's diet subscriber. I lost quite a bit of weight that way but gained it all back. In the past five years, I have been to "fat camp" - gosh how they HATED that I called their Health Institute a fat camp - and learned the error of my ways, according to them, by restricting my carb intake. From there I became a vegan and now I am a fat vegetarian (I love dairy.) I found Mark's Daily Apple via a crossfit page (I don't crossfit...yet) and was intrigued. I bought Primal Blueprint yesterday and have made it to page 100.
    I am already stressing about how I am going to eat. In all honesty, I really don't like veggies. I eat them because I am obligated (somehow) to eat them. If I had my druthers, I'd live on cheese pizza and cheese and crackers. I find I have to cover up most veggies, including salads, to stomach them.
    I have a love hate relationship with food. Since being a young child it has always comforted me but been the bane of my being as well. I have struggled with my weight since I was a kid. The most happy I have been with it was during the termination of my 14 year relationship (the upside to a divorce). I lost about 50 lbs and kept it off quite well until this past winter. At this point I started to balloon up again. I have packed on 25lbs in the past 6 weeks (I also stopped my smokeless tobacco habit.)
    I would like to start being primal ASAP (I think I have wrapped my head around the whole eating cows again thing.) I am reading the book but by no means am I finished with it nor will I claim to understand it all. I have a few questions about food recommendations.
    Do I need to look for anything other than "grass fed"? I am fairly sure I can find this at Earth Fare. Any specifics on pork that I need to look for?
    I have, on this site, seen reference to "whole" dairy. Is this simply nonfat dairy - cheese, sour cream, etc? Can I still eat cheese is my main question and are brands such as Kraft acceptable for sharp cheddars etc? What about mayo?
    Salad dressing - what is my best bet for off the shelf dressings? I am sure, with time, I will start making my own, but in the name of getting myself started I figure I might should buy some dressing.
    Can I have salt on my food?

I am sure I will have copious questions in the next few days. Knowing these answers will make going to the grocery easier today. If anyone has specific name brands that they opt for with any of the above, please throw it out there. I am nervous about hitting the grocery today. I'll be shopping for things it has been years since I have bought.

Thank you,
    Katie
    Fatty

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations to you for finding the Primal Blueprint. You sound like you're ready to make the commitment, and a trip to the grocery store is a great way to start.

About the dairy question: Whole dairy is just that, completely whole. No fat removed. Whole dairy = full-fat dairy, preferably organic, no hormones, grass fed is the best but harder to find. You'll find differing opinions about whether dairy is primal. Whether Grok ate dairy or not, I don't really care. I'm not too hung up on re-enacting the Paleo era, and try to concentrate more on erasing as many "civilized" industrial agricultural era components from my diet as possible, especially grains and processed foods. Whole dairy helps me in my attempt to increase the fat ratios in my diet, so I include heavy cream, butter, and cheese. I believe that a person's ability to consume dairy without harmful side effects is directly correlated to their ancestry. Northern Europeans/Scandinavians have a very low rate of lactose intolerance, so if you fall within that ancestry you should be okay. Also, dairy consumption is very helpful to former vegetarians who are transitioning into primal eating. You may also find it helpful to include lots of free range eggs in your daily eating.

I'm sure others will come along with their take on your questions. Good luck!

KatieM is offline Junior Member
    I am scared also. I did the WW thing and lost a bunch of weight. I started eating grains again and the weight came back on. Now..I am back on the fat planet and HATE every bit of it.

I am not about to eat a cow at a time..because I just can't eat that much cow. I don't drink dairy because I am allergic.

Quote Originally Posted by KatieM View Post
    I am scared also. I did the WW thing and lost a bunch of weight. I started eating grains again and the weight came back on. Now..I am back on the fat planet and HATE every bit of it.

I am not about to eat a cow at a time..because I just can't eat that much cow. I don't drink dairy because I am allergic.
    Why would you think you need to eat a cow at a time?

PrimalEagle is offline Senior Member
    Just keep reading other people's primal journals. You will see their journey, the type of things they eat, etc. Your experience is your own. You may not have as positive of results if you add in all the marginal items (nuts, fruits, dairy) as you would if you didn't. You eat 2000 calories of cheese a day you're going to have a problem no matter what kind of eating plan you undertake.

If you're responsible for yourself and accountable for what you eat, and you get yourself moving, you should see results.
    "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalEagle View Post
    You eat 2000 calories of cheese a day you're going to have a problem no matter what kind of eating plan you undertake.
    I think you're saying that 2,000 calories per day of any single food source would cause problems eventually, but maybe you're talking about cheese in particular? If so, could you elaborate a little, please?

Aside from possible constipation, 2,000 calories of natural cheddar cheese would provide a great macronutrient balance (72% fat, 1% carbs, 26% protein), a whopping 1.315 mcg of Vitamin A (almost 2x RDA), 4.1 mcg B12 (again almost 2x RDA), 3,577 mg calcium (3x RDA), and a whole host of other nutrients. Few single foods can approach that kind of 2,000-calorie profile.

Fatty is offline Junior Member
    Are" natural" and "organic" being used as synonyms? Is anyone aware of any pre-packaged cheeses that are truly organic?

In my post, I used "natural cheddar cheese" as that's what FitDay names the cheese I chose to illustrate the nutrition of 2,000 calories of one kind of cheese. I think they use "natural" in this definition as opposed to their other cheddar cheese choices, including processed types.

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    I'm so glad there is an Earth Fare in your area! I love that place. There is an incredible difference in meats and cheeses that are hormone, antibiotic & nitrate free. Earth Fare also has some nice premade salad dressings (some are in the produce dept. in my town). Mark's Daily Apple prefers that cheese be aged, and not the processed stuff, or "chesse product" that you might find where sliced cheese is located. Organic Farms makes a lovely aged cheddar from raw milk (also in the Earth Fare produce section here). Also, look for Applegate Farms deli meats (and hotdogs) and sliced cheeses.
    Oh, and the eggs at Earth Fare are devine, as is the almond butter in the bulk food section.

There are lots of great articles on Mark's Daily Apple, in addition to his book. Read everything you can. I'm excited for you. Hang in there. You'll get better at this as more time passes.

ToniWA is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I felt a little overwhelmed at first, also. I do find most everything has an organic alternative I can purchase, but the grass-fed has been a bit difficult. I'm 9 weeks into this lifestyle and I still run into speed bumps as I cruise along enjoying my cheese and butter .
    I hope you get to a point where you feel the need to change your screen name since I can't imagine signing in everyday with a negative tone. Our most influential cheerleader is our self. You've taken a step to improve your well-being.
    Kudos to you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast