Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A bit afraid.... page 2

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Katie- The biggest and easiest lesson is to eat REAL food, QUALITY food. If you eat better foods, with better quality ingredients (meaning not crazy factory produced crap), you will feel satiated- you're not gonna be crazy hungry and gnawing off your arm.

If you can't afford organic or grass-fed products, just go for the simplest forms. Velveeta likely does not fit into that category. And as far as dressings go, dribble some olive oil, a bit of balsamic vinegar, maybe a squeeze of lemon: tasty, simple and a hell of a lot healthier than anything in the dressing aisle.

PrimalEagle is offline Senior Member
    Many people find that dairy stalls them. If you are looking to lose weight but love cheese, you could have that unintended side effect, especially if your cheese consumption is over-the-top. For someone who likes cheese, however, it can be tough to limit it. I am speaking from experience as I love cheese. Even though I'm not lactose intolerant, eating higher amounts of cheese still affects my weight loss, so I made sure I limited it to 1-2 oz a day for the first few weeks before adding it back in. If I stall again, I'll cut the cheese out again.
    "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    It's all gradual. I have noticed recently with veggies, I have started to crave them. I was never a fan before, let me tell you. But I sliced up zucchini to make some "noodles" in place of pasta, and caught myself filching them and snacking on them out of the pan. A year ago, I would have just flat-out refused to eat squash- period. Between soup or salad, I would always go with the soup before, and now I look forward to the bright colors, variety, and crispness that goes along with salad eating. My tastes have definitely changed- just take it one day at a time, and you'll surprise yourself.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I quite like the '12 step' approach over at PaNu as it helps simplify things a bit.

http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/

Basically you tackle step one: once you've got that sorted, do step two. I guess though when you're ditching foods, it does leave a bit of a 'hole' that you then have to find something appropriate to fill.

I've been big into wholefoods and organics for a while so I think I'm finding it easier in that regard. While organic, grass fed and so on is really important long term, I think to begin with you might be better off focusing on the low-carb and overall whole-food (as in no additives, no packet crap) aspect. You have to start reading labels - but if you focus on fresh meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, then you don't need to do much of that. Add in some nuts, fruit and cream; good oils, butter and a little cheese.

Cheese should contain milk/milk fat, rennet and salt, and that's about it. No free-flowing agents, no low-fat milk solids, no soy anything..... you get the picture. Cream should be cream, not skim milk, low fat milk solids, thickening agent, blah blah blah.

The food labeling laws are utter rubbish. I was looking for full fat yoghurt for my kids - "thick and creamy" - contains skim milk, milk solids, gelatine and a truckload of other crapola. *sigh*. (there's about one square foot of the supermarket shelf that has yoghurt made with real milk. The rest of it is all low-fat.)

NicoB is offline Senior Member
    About Cheese (of course the French dude would focus on that):

Kraft doesn't make real cheese. PERIOD! That stuff is one step up from government cheese, it's full of grain oils.

Now I won't get into anything fancy, but try to find a cheddar that is made from milk... And that's about it (a little salt maybe).

Trust me, I love cheese. I love cheddar, when I go to the UK (or my dad does) we bring back blocks of this stuff (he tends to bring back the "Kraft" kind, and I bring back the real stuff. He bitches about the price, I bitch about the crap...)

On another note, you might want to go listen and/or read Jimmy Moore's stuff (http://www.livinlavidalowcarb.com/) he's closer to Atkins then Paleo/Primal, but he's one of the people who is down to earth and isn't confusing.

There is nothing honestly scary here, but the paradigm shift you must do can be terrifying.

Fatty is offline Junior Member
    My shopping trip last night consisted of the following:
    1lb bulk roasted/salted almonds
    Plain Greek yogurt
    1.5lbs local grass fed ground beef
    "All natural" boneless/skinless chicken breast
    plumbs - not in season here but remembered reading something about fruits with pits being better ??????
    Wild caught Steelhead trout

That's what you get for $70 at Earth Fare! LOL For dinner I had half the chicken breast - pounded out and "stuffed" with goat cheese (already had) and roasted tomatoes - about 3 cups of a salad that consisted of lettuce (iceburg, already had) cucumbers, and a bit of dressing - a Greek/feta - vinegar base. I also had a handful of almonds while shopping - I was starving and it was the 1st food I had all day. While cooking dinner I ate approx 4 oz Monterey Jack cheese. So, that was day one - please critique!
    Thank you all,
    Katie

Brian C. is offline Member
    To a beginner it’s all trial and error. When I first started I ate tones of fruit, but then I read posts and realized I needed to eat less fruit and focus more on veggies. My advice to a PB newbee is to look up old recipes on MDA and make them. Once you’re familiar with them expand onto your own creations post them here and people will tell you what to change. This is a good post to get the basic’s started: 10 Steps to “Primalize” Your Pantry. Then just read the posts on Primal Blueprint 101 section, focus on the Definitive Guides. I love animals and respect the greatly, but they are my fuel; that’s just the circle of life. Try and get the free range grass fed meat, so that it doesn’t look like the sad animals from Food Inc. listen to your body, it will tell you when you’re missing something, or if you have too much of something; however, when starting off some side effects are normal. All are explained in the PB book. My advice is to not be afraid, get excited! Don’t worry, just jump in.
    Last edited by Brian C.; 04-27-2010 at 05:13 AM.

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    That doesn't sound like much food for a whole day Katie! Don't try and starve yourself, PB definitely isn't all about that. Intermittent Fasting can be really beneficial, but it's not usually a good idea to "try" not to eat until you're really in fat burning mode.

Regarding your current dislike of vegetables: I too used to be a cheese/bread fanatic. Almost every meal was some form of cheese and bread whether it was quesadillas, grilled cheese, burritos, pasta with cheese on top...you name it. It's all I craved. Then I come to find out 10 months ago when I started Primal that wheat is the devil to my joints and intestines, and I'm definitely lactose intolerant! As you start to eat real food your tastes will change, I promise. The bread starts to taste like foam, and the cheese...well you'll start to taste the nastiness in the highly processed cheeses and will most likely gravitate to the better quality stuff anyway. A little goes a long way with good cheese Welcome aboard, your body will thank you!
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Griff is offline Senior Member
    You will find that your tastes change. Vegetables will become appealing once the carb cravings go away.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

PrimalEagle is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I highly recommend dousing broccoli in olive oil, salt and pepper and putting it on the grill. When it starts to look burned it's done. It makes the broccoli sweet but crunchy. I love it now.
    "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast