Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about apples page

haydenwest is offline Junior Member

Question about apples

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone. I've been following the StrongLifts training program (5x5 heavy compounds 3x a week, increasing weight each time), so naturally, I've been keeping my daily fat/protein consumption high. About every day for lunch, I've been eating an apple with almond butter, a small handful of walnuts, and usually some type of meat or cheese. Is having an apple every day harmful as far as the amount of carbs?

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    man/woman? height/weight/goals? why do you think PB is low-carb?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    man/woman? height/weight/goals? why do you think PB is low-carb?
    22 y/o male, 5'8, 153 lbs. Essentially trying to build proportional amounts of strength/mass, with minimal fat gain. I understand that PB allows for more carbs from fruit/veggies. I was just more concerned whether or not the amount of sugar in the apple is too much to be eaten daily.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    It doesen't matter anything at all if you stay in a calorie balance and dont want to loose or gain weight! For some people fruits may be a "trigger-food" for overeating carbs or whatever, but if you don't have those issues, no reason to worry.

Another question is if you really want to gain more strength and muscle, then you must eat MORE than needed for maintenance, so worrying about one apple seem rather absurd to me...

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Another question is if you really want to gain more strength and muscle, then you must eat MORE than needed for maintenance, so worrying about one apple seem rather absurd to me...
    pretty much this.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Eating apple a day is fine. If you're trying to build mass then you can afford to eat more than 1 apple a day. You have to be in a caloric surplus anyway so it's no big deal.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Is the fructose content your concern? I've heard the apple being used to demonstrate how much more fructose there is in the fruits we've bred than what would have existed a few thousand years ago.

That being said, I don't think a single apple contains a quantity of fructose to worry about, I think the point is that if you subsist largely on fruits such as apples, you can unknowingly end up with a really high fructose load.

I like the Red Delicious with cheddar cheese and the Granny Smith without. In case that was your next question.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    One apple is not enough carbs if strength and mass are your goals! Don't fear fructose or starch! You're a young male with not metabolic problems, not an older, sedentary overweight adult. Add in a big whack of sweet potatoes or white rice after your lifts and I think you'll like the results.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    The omega 6 in the walnuts is probably something that you should be more concerned with.

Thank you for all the replies guys. I guess in the big scheme of things, one apple is insignificant haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast