Thread: Protein Powder page

tyler4550 is offline Junior Member

Protein Powder

Primal Fuel
    Hi all -

I've been searching high and low for a good protein powder that's not loaded with garbage. There are a few good threads but I wanted to ask about one that I don't see here yet. I've been using Jay Robb's unflavored whey since the only ingredient is Cold-processed cross-flow microfiltered and Lecithin. It's pricey but you can get it on Amazon for around 100 bucks which comes out to roughly $1.35 an ounce. Pretty reasonable. I'm not a fan of the Lecithin though and recently stumbled across a post from someone who called their HQ and asked where they actually sourced their protein from. Long story short, they got hung up on and there are rumors floating around it comes from China.

So, after a pretty good search on the web I came across Raw Organic Whey. It's only ingredient is 100% Pure organic whey from the milk of grass-fed cows. AND they come from grass fed cows in the US. Here is a list of what they claim:

• Only 1 Ingredient: 100% Pure organic whey from the milk of grass-fed cows
    • No added sweeteners, preservatives or fillers
    • Soy Free (no soy lecithin)
    • Sourced 100% from small US farms
    • rBGH/rBST hormone free
    • Processed at low temperatures WITHOUT acid treatment

Sounds pretty good to me. The downside is the cost. . . regular price is $34.95 for 12 ounces. They currently have a special that is $26.99 for 12 ounces but still, that comes out to around $2.25 an ounce. Then again, you get what you pay for.

My other option is to go to my local Sprouts store where I discovered Whey Protein Isolate in their bulk foods section. I asked where it came from and found out it is from a company called Hilmar Ingredients. HERE is a link to their Whey Protein Isolate data sheet. Here is what they tout:

• Excellent Acid Solubility/Stability
    • Heat Stable During Pasteurization
    • Bland Flavor Profile
    • High Digestibility
    • Superior Protein Source
    • Excellent Amino Acid Profile
    • Low Glycemic Index
    • Low Fat and Lactose
    • GMO Free
    • Kosher  and Halal Approved
    • EU Approved

The cost at Sprouts is $12.99 for 16 ounces - or roughly 81Ē an ounce. Pretty good price . . . As far as where they source their protein, they say this:

Hilmar Ingredients supplies whey protein and lactose made from sweet whey. The sole source of this sweet whey is our parent company's large-scale cheese operations in California and Texas. These U.S.-based operations provide us with the freshest, highest quality whey stream from which we produce large runs of whey protein concentrate, hydrolysate and isolate, as well as edible, refined and pharmaceutical lactose.

Seems pretty solid . . . but my gut still says Raw Organic may be the safer bet. Anyone know more about these two companies that would be willing to weigh in? Also, I don't want this to turn into a real food vs powder debate. I get it, real food is always better. This is about protein powders though. Also - I am considering Primal Fuel but researched these two proteins first. . . . I believe PF comes in right around $1.52 an ounce so it's less than the Raw stuff and I gotta believe where it comes from and how it's made would not be a concern since it comes from Mark.

Thanks,

Tyler

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I've also been looking for a protein supplement (I have malabsorption issues) and ran across this one: Amazon.com: Whey Protein Isolate French Vanilla - 2 lbs - Powder: Health & Personal Care It's from grass fed cows and decently priced, unfortunately from the reviews it looks like they added soy lecithin to the ingredients recently. Still, for the price, I'm definitely considering this one.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I've used the Bluebonnet whey isolate and it's good. It was my PP of choice before switching to Isopure for cost reasons. Both have soy lecithin, though. I haven't found a non-soy-lecithin-containing PP that doesn't either break the bank or taste/mix horribly.

If I were willing to spend more money, I'd just get Primal Fuel and not even look at anything else.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    This here site here sells Protein Powder?

Disclaimer: I don't use protein powders.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Check out any kind of unflavored protein at True Nutrition. I don't see any point in buy grass-fed protein, since it's a purified product, and toxins are stored in the fat. But if you want to spend the extra money, they do have a grass-fed option.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

tyler4550 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you everyone for all the input. I bought Raw Organic and really like it. The texture is almost like powdered sugar and it tasted great just by itself. That said, I think I'll go with the Sprouts (Hilmar) brand next time as 81Ē an ounce vs $2.25 an ounce is too big of a gap to pass up. I can get 8lbs of the Sprouts brand for the same price I can get 3lbs of the Organic Raw . . .

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    I just use the Isopure Dutch Chocolate low carb version. I only do a few shakes a week and like that is dissolves without clumping and that it tastes OK mixed with just water (something that is not always the case)
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5