Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It really bugs me...

Hybrid View

It really bugs me...

...that if I go to my local grocery store, gas station or whatnot, they're allowed to sell me any of the FIFTY bloody brands of cigarettes - KNOWN AND ADMITTED POISONS - but not raw milk. Nor can anyone who has a cow.

In fact, if you do in the U.S., they appear to raid the ever loving crap out of you, like what happened to "Rawsome Foods" some months back.

Gah, this country, sometimes.

M.

Ever watch Farmaggeddon? Have a look and increase your horror at who gets punished for endangering the public :-/

It depends where you are, but yeah I know a lot of places have made raw milk illegal.

Some places get around that by selling shares to "condo cows" where the owners of the cow all get some of the milk. Since they technically own the cow, it's not illegal.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

I can buy raw milk at the store no problem. You need to change the law in your state or go buy "pet milk" from the farmer.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I can buy raw milk at the store no problem. You need to change the law in your state or go buy "pet milk" from the farmer.
    Buying "pet milk" from a farmer may not be incredibly convenient unless you live around farmers. Certainly, some states allow for raw milk sales, but the solution—"just go change the law in your state"— for states that make it illegal is not so simple as your reply may suggest. That's why it is a battle on many levels. Even in states that allow for raw milk sales there are complications that arise from federal intervention. Plus, there are folks who are trying to outlaw it with federal laws, which we have to hope will never happen.

I'm with you, MEversbergII: it makes me crazy that I can't buy the stuff anywhere in NYC. I used to have to go through an underground raw milk club, which is ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by vyieort View Post
    Buying "pet milk" from a farmer may not be incredibly convenient unless you live around farmers. Certainly, some states allow for raw milk sales, but the solution—"just go change the law in your state"— for states that make it illegal is not so simple as your reply may suggest. That's why it is a battle on many levels. Even in states that allow for raw milk sales there are complications that arise from federal intervention. Plus, there are folks who are trying to outlaw it with federal laws, which we have to hope will never happen.

I'm with you, MEversbergII: it makes me crazy that I can't buy the stuff anywhere in NYC. I used to have to go through an underground raw milk club, which is ludicrous.
    Sure, it's not an easy answer. I signed a lot of petitions and probably voted for some stuff that made sure we got raw milk in California, although I don't remember any specific propositions on the ballot. I remember the petitions in the 1980s clearly, though. Yeah, you won't get your raw milk tomorrow, but you're not helpless yet. Sure driving to a farm to buy pet milk is a hassle, but that's what I have heard people do back east in states like yours. You might be closer to a farm than you know. I'm closer to grass-fed beef than I knew.

I live in practically a rural place compared to NYC, but here's how my shopping goes:
    - Trader Joe's for canned and frozen salmon, canned chicken, NZ lamb, cheese and wine, kerrygold butter.
    - Local healthfood store for yogurt, chicken liver and any deals on meat or sausage. Also veggies.
    - Local ethnic market for CAFO top sirloin steak, super cheap CAFO chicken, any organ meat from pigs, cows and chickens I could ever want and soup bones.
    - Local Asian market for cheap shitaki mushrooms, curry spice paste and random stuff I want to try.
    - Saturday farmer's market for grass-fed beef liver, and local lamb and pork if I'm feeling wealthy. They have raw milk there but I don't drink milk and I don't like their butter, but it's there and cheaper than at the health food store.
    - Sunday farmer's market for grass-fed beef tallow and sometimes for beef. The other farmer's beef is too expensive. It's all too expensive so I get the CAFO lean top sirloin when I want to eat a steak.

Not convenient. I can't get to the farmer's market very often. That's the way it is if you want to eat this way. Decide where you want to cut corners. You can see where I cut mine.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Personally I like the fact that you have to be an underground resistance person just to be human anymore.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

OP, I agree. Cigarettes, alcohol - legal because the industries have the money to lobby. Pot, meth, and heroin - not organized enough to lobby.

Personally, I'm against the Daddy version of government telling me what poisons I'm "allowed" to put in my body. Penalize the behavior (driving under the influence for example), not the use of fill in your poison of choice.

Yep, in their infinite wisdom, raw milk is illegal (except for pets and in some states), but as you stated, cigarettes and alcohol abound. And the lawmakers that put those idiocies in place? Well, I just don't think they are very intelligent or ethical, and I don't recognize their authority to tell me what to drink, smoke, inject, or ingest. Period.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

I'm really not trying to start anything honestly, but the United States sounds like such a horrible place to live.

Its sad to see a country lose its freedom. Even more worrisome is that the trend is becoming global. I'm probably next.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    I'm really not trying to start anything honestly, but the United States sounds like such a horrible place to live.

Its sad to see a country lose its freedom. Even more worrisome is that the trend is becoming global. I'm probably next.
    We are, in general a lazy stupid people. We (the 99%) fight about the most mundane bullcrap (abortion, smoking, drugs, etc.) while no one addresses things like crumbling infrastructure, a rigged financial system, the exportation of our jobs, the travesty that is our public school system, and that one in five children goes to bed hungry. We claim verbally that we hate the rich, while doing everything in our power to emulate them. We complain about welfare for the poor while most of us don't even understand how much welfare goes to corporations. The 1% laugh while we do.

And in case we weren't stupid enough, we (pussies that we are) turned a blind eye when the powers that be used 9/11 to basically strip us of most of our rights against unwarranted searches, phone taps, etc., in the name of feeling safe. We are a nation of sheeple.

Fundamentally, we don't understand the difference between ambition and greed. IOW, we don't get the difference between getting rich because one has a talent or product(s) that is in demand and getting rich by stealing within the law.

I think maybe somewhere inside us we know we've been had and we soothe ourselves with borderline pathological consumerism. We worship entertainers and sports celebrities while teachers get so little support that they are digging into their own pockets for things like art supplies for the kids. And when news became a profit center rather than public service, even that became fiction.

The whole food as poison thing is merely one symptom of all that has gone wrong here.

Big cities and urban areas are still available in which to get lost mostly, though not completely. But hey, as long as we can watch Dancing with the Stars, and get to go to neato theme parks like Disney World, we're still the greatest country in the world, no?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.