Thread: Vitamin E page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Vitamin E

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What do you eat to get it?
    Billie trips balls

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin Eeeeek? | Mark's Daily Apple

I consume lots of dark, leafy greens like kale and spinach. Paired with a good dose of meat, I think I'm good.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post

I consume lots of dark, leafy greens like kale and spinach. Paired with a good dose of meat, I think I'm good.
    that's where i get mine, along with a good helping of oysters from time to time.

I never worry about E. If you're eating a good balance of veggies, meats, and healthy fats, you're covered.

I eat a lot of veggies, liver, raw grassfed butter etc. But I track my food intake and no nutrient is scarcebut vitamin E
    Billie trips balls

If you're that worried about it, eat 100 g. of nuts per day.

Still say that if you're eating a good variety of veggies, meats, and healthy fats you're set, regardless if what food trackers might say.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    The funny thing about Vitamin E is it's often paired with polyunsaturated fat. Nuts are some of nature's greatest sources of Vitamin E...but you get a big dose of omega 6 along with it. Many argue that the only reason why Vitamin E is present is to prevent oxidation with an otherwise unstable fat, so if you are eating stable fats there is little need for Vitamin E.

I wouldn't worry about Vitamin E because if you are taking in a lot of Vitamin E, you're probably taking in a lot of low quality fats. IMO, a whole foods diet low in Vitamin E likely follows a diet low in omega 6, and it's polyunsaturated fat that depletes Vitamin E from the body. The big issue comes when you eat vegetable oils high in polyunsaturated fat because it sucks the Vitamin E out of your tissue and puts none back. Almonds, on the other hand, supply Vitamin E so it's kind of trade off so you won't see that oxidation you get from, say, corn oil!

I wouldn't count Vitamin E from dark green vegetables since it's mostly packed in insoluble fiber you won't digest. If I were you, I'd find a Vitamin E softgel packed in a stable fat (stearate, MCT), keep it in the freezer and take it only if you've had a less than desirable meal - you went out to a restaurant where questionable oils are used, you've eaten a lot of nuts in a sitting, you "cheated" and want to minimize damage, etc.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    The funny thing about Vitamin E is it's often paired with polyunsaturated fat. Nuts are some of nature's greatest sources of Vitamin E...but you get a big dose of omega 6 along with it. Many argue that the only reason why Vitamin E is present is to prevent oxidation with an otherwise unstable fat, so if you are eating stable fats there is little need for Vitamin E.

I wouldn't worry about Vitamin E because if you are taking in a lot of Vitamin E, you're probably taking in a lot of low quality fats. IMO, a whole foods diet low in Vitamin E likely follows a diet low in omega 6, and it's polyunsaturated fat that depletes Vitamin E from the body. The big issue comes when you eat vegetable oils high in polyunsaturated fat because it sucks the Vitamin E out of your tissue and puts none back. Almonds, on the other hand, supply Vitamin E so it's kind of trade off so you won't see that oxidation you get from, say, corn oil!

I wouldn't count Vitamin E from dark green vegetables since it's mostly packed in insoluble fiber you won't digest. If I were you, I'd find a Vitamin E softgel packed in a stable fat (stearate, MCT), keep it in the freezer and take it only if you've had a less than desirable meal - you went out to a restaurant where questionable oils are used, you've eaten a lot of nuts in a sitting, you "cheated" and want to minimize damage, etc.
    Thanks, I have some red palm oil so I guess that'll do
    Billie trips balls