Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using PB/Paleo in a medical setting page

Future_PB_Dr is offline Member

Using PB/Paleo in a medical setting

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I am relatively new to the forum as this is my first thread, but I believe I have a worthwhile (broad) question that the collective knowledge of this forum could help me with. My question is: as a student entering my first year of medical school this upcoming fall, how can I incorporate the core principles of the PB into my future as (tentatively) a cardiologist or general practician? I fear that I will have trouble battling with the mandates of CW. Are there any practicing doctors out there that could offer some input on this? Or perhaps any individuals that have been patients in a setting where PB principles were conveyed as preventive measures and maybe even more effective 'medicine' than the side-effect-laden medicines that are out today? Also, maybe there are sources you know of that speak of various physicians going against the grain and using principles representative of the PB. I understand this is not a very direct question, but any input would be appreciated.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    check out Dr. Cate Shanahan. reducing inflammation is a major point in her practice, she keeps a blog, and i wouldn't be the least bit surprised that she would be willing to mentor a med student, even from a distance.

Thanks, Primalrob. Looks like a great resource. I appreciate it!

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Check out (if you haven't already):

Wheat Belly Blog | Lose the Wheat Lose the Weight

He's a cardiologist.

Lucy is offline Member
    There is actually a site called Paleo Physicians Network and you can register on that when you graduate so they are out there!! Good luck with your medical career you will have a great impact.

ulnauy is offline Member
    I'm a third year dealing with some of the issues you mentioned. I got some good feedback from the forum on this thread:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread75867.html

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Any chance you think you'll move to TN when you graduate? :P I've spent the entire day today trying to find a good doctor, and when I thought I had hit the jackpot (an integrative medicine center) the only doctor accepting new patients is already booked up until 2014. ::sigh:: I have an appointment with a chiropractor/naturopath next week but I'm thinking about canceling it. I just need blood work and the ability to get Rx strength heme iron and maybe thyroid meds if my bloodwork comes out like I think it will.

ulnauy is offline Member
    @meeshar

At risk of sounding like a cynic, there is no secret information that a doctor knows that you can't access. As someone who is approaching the end of medical school, I can tell you that (for general health issues) most doctors really just regurgitate what they read in guidebooks or, more commonly, websites like Medscape or UpToDate. Most doctors don't read specific articles in the literature or have access to special information the public can't access.

I'm not trying to disparage the medical field. The average lay person cannot interpret an xray, remove a gallbladder, or manage sudden loss of blood pressure on the wards. But the average person is more than capable of understanding and interpreting the results of basic blood work (CBC, CMP, lipids, etc..).

If you're sick or feel unwell, you need to see a doctor. If you're generally healthy, you really just need a doctor to order the lab tests for you. There's no secret sauce. A good deal of the dietary/lifestyle advice doctors give is completely wrong.
    Last edited by ulnauy; 02-08-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate it.

AuroraB - I have read most of this book but was not aware of the blog, thanks!
    Lucy - sounds cool, hopefully I can remember that eight years down the line
    Ulnauy - I looked into the thread. There's some great stuff on there, thanks for pointing me in that direction. And I don't think you sound like a cynic. It's the truth. I feel that doctors are too often given too much credit. Many doctors' lack of attention to the current research and literature is irresponsible given the weight of their decisions, which are seen as the be-all-end-all to many patients that don't know any better.
    Meeshar - sorry, TN probably isn't in my future, but good luck in finding a good doctor!

Just curious, do any of you think there is any background movement going on that will change the face of medicine in the next ten years (as far as the maladies associated with metabolic syndrome go and how we are currently treating them...)? Do you think the success people have on a LCHF (Paleo) diet will begin to be widely recognized?
    Last edited by Future_PB_Dr; 02-09-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast