Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pcos + I accidentally cheated today.. page

niah is offline Junior Member

Pcos + I accidentally cheated today..

Primal Fuel
    Basically I went no starch, no fruit, no sugar, no dairy for a week. Then I was super hungry and I ended up eating rice and I am gluten sensitive and had a banana and my stomach felt horrid and I threw up and then I ended up eating a burger and ginger snaps and chocolate. I did exercise and everything to balance it out, some toning and things. I just feel like a fat failure. I don't know what to do, if I should eat fruit I love it so. It's just so overwhelming I feel like now I will gain a hundred pounds or something! I'm around 158-161 after the 7 days but God knows what I weigh now! What should I do!!!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Do not panic. One bad day will not make you gain a hundred pounds! Be gentle on yourself, and try again (but not just before your period, cravings are the hardest to overcome at that time).

Puddleglumish is offline Member
    Seconded. PCOS will have been with you for a long time and will take more than a week to reverse. With that in mind, one day of crazy eating is not going to do damage long term. Pick yourself up, deep breath and keep walking with a new eating regime in mind.

niah is offline Junior Member
    Thanks you guys, I feel better. I think the issue here was is that I tried to limit fat because of a person on tv said no fruit, starch, or fat. That's where it went array.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by niah View Post
    Basically I went no starch, no fruit, no sugar, no dairy for a week. Then I was super hungry and I ended up eating rice and I am gluten sensitive and had a banana and my stomach felt horrid and I threw up and then I ended up eating a burger and ginger snaps and chocolate. I did exercise and everything to balance it out, some toning and things. I just feel like a fat failure. I don't know what to do, if I should eat fruit I love it so. It's just so overwhelming I feel like now I will gain a hundred pounds or something! I'm around 158-161 after the 7 days but God knows what I weigh now! What should I do!!!
    I second Annieh. Be calm. This lifestyle takes a good bit of time to settle into and to have the desired effect. Maybe you need to ease into it more gently. No grains or sugar, keep dairy if it's comfortable, especially important are high fats because that will satisfy your appitite and hunger. A little fruit, berries are good.
    And lots of vegies, cooked or raw. I like to nibble on them. I keep a bag of peeled and sliced vegies ready for any snacking or crunching needs.

tiva is offline Junior Member
    I posted this on your other thread as well:
    Niah, I'm sorry you've having a tough time. PCOS isn't easy to deal with, but a lot of women have indeed found help with a low carb primal (google primal PCOS, or enter PCOS into the search box above, and you'll find tons of discussion on this board and across the primal web).

To keep things simple, you might try:
    -eliminate all grains (including rice for now) and sugars
    -minimize fructose because of insulin issues. So for a month, try no fruit
    -minimize starches (this might not be true for most primal folks, but for PCOS, it seems to help tremendously)
    -eat 2 to 3 reasonable servings of good protein each day. For most women, a reasonable serving is 4 to 6 oz or 2-3 eggs.
    -heavy cream and butter are usually fine for most PCOS women, but for now eliminate other dairy. Milk and cheese can cause insulin issues for many PCOS women
    -eat veggies; experiment a bit to see which ones work the best for you. Different women have different experiences with PCOS and veggies. Eat them with good fats. Cook the ones that have goitrogenic chemicals (ie, the cabbage family)
    -aim for more omega 3 fats and fewer omega 6 fats.
    -be careful with nuts for now--mostly because they're easy to overeat and can contain poor fats. Macademias and coconut seem to work the best for many PCOS women
    -make lots of bone broths
    -eat lots of seafood, take cod liver oil
    -make sure you're getting lots of saturated fat

Good luck. Controlling insulin is key, as I'm sure you know.

If you're hungry, eat a little fat and wait a while.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If you stopped at the rice and bananas, you'd have been fine, since both are gluten-free...
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    If you are not eating starch or fruit, I feel like you are following a different plan than PB. I can honestly say that if I avoided all fruit and starch for a week, after I killed someone (if I could muster the energy), I'd eat a cake. It takes a lot of dedication to eliminate everything but fat, leafy veggies and meats.

By restricting healthy foods (fruits, starches like sweet potatoes and squash) you are probably setting up a cycle of restrict and binge. Do you NEED to eliminate fruits (some people do, most don't)? Maybe if you allow a daily banana or some chcolate each week, you can still lose and prevent a hard fall off the wagon by keeping yourself satisfied.

Also, if at all possible, don't have things like ginger snaps handy. Or burger buns (the burger is fine!).

You aren't a failure, you will probably bloat a bit. You'll be fine. It takes time to get your diet balanced and satisfying enough that you don't binge. Look at it this way- maybe you used to eat ginger snaps and burgers a couple times a week. You had them once.... in a week. Next it will be once in a month, than once every few months, then you just won't want those things. But if anyone says "I started primal and gave up fruit and never once fucked up and ate perfectly ever after", they are full of shit. Everyone falls off the wagon, just get right back on it.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    That mental anguish thing will hurt you more than anything. Listen to everyone here and be kind to yourself. Eat enough, including fats, so you are not hungry.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

tiva is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    If you are not eating starch or fruit, I feel like you are following a different plan than PB..
    Seriously? Where exactly does Mark say we HAVE to eat starch and fruit to be primal?

Many women who eat primal do indeed restrict fruits and starches because those foods are not healthy for them, given their individual physiologies. PCOS women often fall into this category.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast