Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Insulin resistance + primal page 6

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Just like Otzi, i was pre-diabetic during the height of my low carb days and cured it on a diet of high carb.

Just went back and looked theough my test results, first one was after 2 years low carb, and 9 days of almost complete carnivory. Second was just a month ago, around 60-70% carb intake for almost a year. Both were fasted 12 hours. Tests were a little less then 2 years apart.

Test 1 -Glucose: 130
    Test 2 -Glucose: 97

"Current ADA criteria are
    Normal: 70-99 mg/dL
    Impaired Fasting Glucose: 100-125 mg/dL
    Diabetes Mellitus: at or above 126 mg/dL
    The diagnosis of diabetes must be confirmed on a subsequent
    day by measuring FPG, 2-hr PG or random plasma glucose (if
    symptoms are present)."

Just a snapshot i know and it doesnt really prove much, just my personal experience and it shows that insulin resistance may not just be temporary on low carb. It also shows that high carb alone does not cause diabetes. By the way i gzve up low carb the day after that first test, came back for a diabetes test a month later and was just under the diabetes range so they just told me to eat better, exercise more. I didnt mention to them i exercised and ate perfect paleo throughout that.

I am even higher carb and lower protein now and i have no doubt my numbers would be even better, i no longer get crashes, inflammation or sleep issues that i used to have.

Other numbers that improved during that time are Co2, TSH, sed rate, test.
    I'd have to say stories like this are the exception. People overwhelmingly improve their blood sugar numbers on low carb, at least from what I have seen.
    Last edited by whitebear; 02-07-2013 at 08:08 AM.

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Do you know what it was prior to going primal?

The bottom line is aside from what the carb cure's all crew have posted here, the reality is low carb is the solution for many with insulin resistance issues. I am one of them and fasting went from 140 to normal on low carb. That kind of story is seen countless times on diabetes forums etc. So while I guess it's possible given that everyone's body reacts differently to diet, I find it pretty unlikely that low carb is the culprit here.

Request an A1C test if they haven't already done that.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Its funny that all of you need to remind her that im the troll just because i am giving her an answer she doesnt want to hear but she knows is right.

Dont worry, im well aware you wont listen to me, Ayla. Just remember this in a few months when your health is much worse and you are in a binge. PM me if you ever want some help.
    You probably shd.n't post your irresponsible nonsense publicly and you realize it too. You are dangerous.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    You probably shd.n't post your irresponsible nonsense publicly and you realize it too. You are dangerous.
    Haha, no you are just completely duped and misinformed.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Consider not having the coffee before your next blood test. Coffee can throw people's blood sugar off. Not all people but some. It also can raise cholesterol in some people, particularly unfiltered coffee like espresso.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Consider not having the coffee before your next blood test. Coffee can throw people's blood sugar off. Not all people but some. It also can raise cholesterol in some people, particularly unfiltered coffee like espresso.
    The blood sugar effects of coffee seem to be mostly noticeable in conjunction with a meal, particularly a high carb one. As long as she is well and fasted before the test I doubt one cup of coffee is going to have much effect on her levels. Now, if she's having like three cups before she goes in, THEN the effects might be more noticeable even in the fasted state and I might recommend that she drop down a bit.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    So following on from my thread this morning, i went to the Dr, and my blood sugar level was 8.4 (he said over 6.9 was high) this was 6 hours after only a BP coffee.

I am going back tomorrow for the fasting glucose test to get a definitive answer.

My question is that is this because of how I treated my body in the past? Binge/high carb/low fat/losing weight cycle, even though I have had 4 months straight primal no cheats?

Surely a lack of sugar doesn't cause this?
    Ayla, I would want more testing than random and/or fasting blood sugar levels, especially before starting meds. In addition to fasting BGL you might want to have HbA1c and fasting insulin levels checked.

otzi Guest
    There is a lot of misconception when it comes to glucose and insulin. There is an easy way to lay your mind to rest, however. Go out and buy a $25 home glucose tester, like an Ultra Mini OneTouch and 50 test strips ($50). You now have the equipment to check FBG and to do a couple 3 hour oral glucose tolerance tests just like at the doctors.

I've heard these can be not very accurate, but i have checked my glucose minutes before an actual lab draw and the results were within 1 mg/dl. You aren't really that worried about 100% accuracy as much as trending, anyhow.

To do a 2 or 3 hour tolerance test, simply test your FBG, then eat a big potato with no butter or anything else. Check your glucose every 15 minutes for 3 hours and plot it out. Keep this as your baseline, and compare future testing against it.

If you ever see a reading that goes above 200 and stays there for more than 15 minutes, you definitely have a problem. If you see a reading of 200 which quickly falls to 120 in the next 15 minutes, then 100 or so, you are fine. Not perfect, but not diabetic. A true diabetic will see a spike in the 200-600 range that stays that high for several hours--that is worrisome!

If you see response at all, you have some degree of insulin sensitivity.

If you have high morning FBG, check it periodically throughout the day, and see where your range is. If your blood glucose never, ever falls below 120, you have a problem.

If you think you have a problem, ask your doctor for an HbA1C test, this tests your glucose over a period of 6 weeks and is very accurate.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    I wd. say if your doctor thinks there is a problem, get the HbA1c test immediately as he/she will suggest and prioritize getting the BG level w/in an acceptable range.Be quick in doing this and skip the self-hacks and the "tweaks" that people w/o metabolic issues are doing. The PB is on its own bat a great tool.You need to find out if any other tools are necessary at this point in time-exercise, medication, etc. We don't want this to become chronic,right? Good luck!
    Last edited by Terry H; 02-07-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Ayla, drop the bulletproof coffee. It's not doing you any favors. That is a calorie dense meal but it's not a nutrient dense meal. I think AngryKiwi meant nutrient dense.

When you are hungry, make yourself dinner. Have dinner for breakfast, for lunch and for dinner. Dinner is a generous portion of meat, a generous portion of vegetables and if you like, one of those meals can have a small portion of starch such as half a sweet potato. If you are hungry between these meals, make bigger servings.

This will help you get over the binging and give you the nutrition your body needs. Eventually you'll probably think ugh, this is too much and have a smaller meal. And maybe once in a while you'll be like oh man, I'm so hungry but I'm eating so much already. Don't worry about it. Have a bigger potato or something.

If you have insulin resistance your body is stuck in some kind of feedback loop. You should do some exercise to help it get unstuck. It is really easy in our culture to say hey, what can I stick inside me to change everything? Sticking the right things in is only one piece of the puzzle. The other is you need sunlight on your skin and eyes and you need to move your body around, make it do something that is difficult for it right now. If you don't give it stimulus to grow and change, it won't. But if you do, then it goes, hey, I'm still needed here, let's turn on the hormones of youth and growth so we don't die.

And ignore Zach and the carb pushers. Someday you'll be able to eat a lot of carbs without consequence but you aren't there yet and guys like him are too dumb to understand stuff like that. You don't have to avoid all carbs like the plague or beat yourself up because you say f-it I want a whole potato, maybe two today. But on a day-to-day basis, you should favor the meat and veggies over everything else.
    Thanks for this advice. I know I need to ditch the coffee, so working on that from today.
    I had slacked off on walking 4-5 km every day but I am doing it now.

Quote Originally Posted by joe2.0 View Post
    Do you know what it was prior to going primal?

The bottom line is aside from what the carb cure's all crew have posted here, the reality is low carb is the solution for many with insulin resistance issues. I am one of them and fasting went from 140 to normal on low carb. That kind of story is seen countless times on diabetes forums etc. So while I guess it's possible given that everyone's body reacts differently to diet, I find it pretty unlikely that low carb is the culprit here.

Request an A1C test if they haven't already done that.
    I had gestational diabetes with my oldest son (5 now) which ended up being diet controlled. But that is hardly surprising since before I got tested (2 hour GTT) I was eating mcdonalds everyday. After he was born I had to repeat this test and all was normal I did not improve the way I ate for another 3 years after this though, so I probably did more damage.

I am undecided about getting the test done today.
    I think SBhikes is right about what I need to do. And I think I need to give it more time.
    I feel 100% fine. Just been stressing about losing weight too slowly that is all.
    If I had not weighed myself this week I would have felt like I had lost weight, well I did, my mid section feels smaller.
    I know the other answer is to stay away from the scales, it does me no favours.
    My waist measurement is going down and that is more important than the scales.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast