Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Insulin resistance + primal page 3

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    But to me eating when I'm not hungry is not a good thing as its what I used to do when bingeing .
    And zach what would you suggest I do then? Hmm

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I agree with everyone (even Zach) suggesting you need to eat more. Eat at least BMR most days. Use fasting strategically to lower fat on occasion but make sure you still dial in calories weekly. Remember, if you needed 2,000 calories to maintain daily, then you need 14,000 calories a week. It doesn't really matter if you eat a strict 2,000 every day, but make sure you make up for fasting days by consuming even more on other days.

I would recommend two days (not necessarily in a row) of strict fasting per week, then making sure to make up the missed calories on those days by eating more throughout the rest of the week.

However, it is rediculous to suggest that low carb caused your insulin issues. Low carb CAN cause insulin resistance when first starting out because your body needs time to adjust to a new way of eating, but that's only natural. Your body needs to adjust to anything new. After sticking to it for a while your body gets used to operating on the lower insulin levels and even ketones (if you go that low), and you can run just fine.

However, in your case, you might have pushed the ketosis thing too fast. I would concentrate on low carb eating and getting lots of primal-approved exercise such as bodyweight work, lifting heavy things, and some moderate cardio into your routine. I wouldn't stress the daily weigh-ins, the protein counting, the fat content of your foods, at least, not until you have reversed your insulin issues.

BECAUSE you have insulin issues, you might not be reaping all of the benefits that you otherwise might from being in ketosis. Work on the most important issues you have first (getting back to the basics to deal with your insulin problems) and THEN bring in some more advanced techniques (such as ketosis) to support your health once you have delt with the main issues.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 02-06-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    But to me eating when I'm not hungry is not a good thing as its what I used to do when bingeing .
    Then eat more calorie dense meals.

If you track calories (which I am assuming you do, since you state you periodically come under 1300), you're not running off your hunger but off a number. So why not boost the calories to the recommended number set your you to lose weight and just meet that? Don't need to eat more volume, but more dense meals. Easy.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    No one is claiming you are troll over the binge idea...LOL...how is your friend who wants money for the answer to all our problems...you seemed to drop that thread pretty fast.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    And zach what would you suggest I do then? Hmm
    You should listen to your body but as others have suggested eat more calorie / high fat meals when you do it to make sure your calories are up.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Ayla-
    What you might try is boosting your caloric intake to BMR +200 kcal. While that is more than you are eating (by a significant amount some days, likely), it gives your body a better chance to heal from all you inflicted it with over the years. In all honesty, I'd say throw the caloric deficit out the window wand concentrate on healing, but I know that would get dismissed. Give your body at least what it needs for bare survival and being awake and it'll return the favor by trying to heal.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    Then eat more calorie dense meals.

If you track calories (which I am assuming you do, since you state you periodically come under 1300), you're not running off your hunger but off a number. So why not boost the calories to the recommended number set your you to lose weight and just meet that? Don't need to eat more volume, but more dense meals. Easy.
    I track occasionally but it doesn't change how much I need to eat.
    I can no longer eat huge amounts at once

And I do eat calorie dense meals.
    I just don't track every day but I eat similar so I do know approx

Anyway I know it's just time my body needs and possibly eating more so will work on that .
    May take meds if it shows I need it but still need to look into that more

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I track occasionally but it doesn't change how much I need to eat.
    I can no longer eat huge amounts at once
    I'm sure you old very easily find a way, once you stop pretending you can't.

Whatever. Your choice, in the end. Just as long as you know you're not doing yourself any favours in the short or long term by starving yourself.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast