Thread: Most people who seem to have 'beef' with the primal diet are... page

the_walrus0 is offline Member

Most people who seem to have 'beef' with the primal diet are...

Shop Now
    Vegans, I think.

Since going primal I've done a lot of reading about it and there's always a blog here or there in my research that absolutely hates the primal blueprint and paleo lifestyle. I find they're often raw vegan, or vegan. Most every other blog that scrutinizes the diet usually agrees with most things promoted in it but no one seems to want to stand behind cutting grains from the diet and some people still maintain that saturated fat in excess is bad.

The only thing I could see being considered unhealthy, from a CW perspective, is that people think grains are the only way to get fiber and that saturated fat is going to kill you.

I mean, vegans already believe meat is bad for you. Of course they'd tear the primal diet apart, claiming it's a death sentence.

I've lived as a vegan, lived on junk food, lived on a mix of junk and healthy food...I honestly have to say the best way to eat has to be eating things that are as natural as possible. I even believe someone can enjoy good health while eating grains, if grains don't mess with their gut. I do believe I am better off without them.

I highly doubt that we, human beings, would be required to select only the leanest meat, peel the skin off and just toss the rest.

I don't want to start an argument though. These are just observations I've been making during my search. When I was vegan I found plenty of anti-vegan sites. I think whenever you change your diet drastically from what is considered normal people are going to either really agree or really disagree, and people who disagree tend to disagree with vigor.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Lots of 'conventional wisdom' nutritionists regard healthy whole grains as essential...

The thing I find funniest about the vegan thing is that vegan and primal are so very very close, even down to the type of people who they appeal to. Both are about knowing where your food came from and making right choices.

Ultimately, it's just a letter or three different: WHeat -> Meat.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

the_walrus0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Lots of 'conventional wisdom' nutritionists regard healthy whole grains as essential...

The thing I find funniest about the vegan thing is that vegan and primal are so very very close, even down to the type of people who they appeal to. Both are about knowing where your food came from and making right choices.

Ultimately, it's just a letter or three different: WHeat -> Meat.
    True!

I think some people have this idea that because we 'can' eat grains and they have some nutrients that we 'should' eat grains, since we're the all knowing humans who have agriculture. I think there are pros and cons to grains, but that most people would find they're not that necessary. Say I want a piece of cheese, because I'm not lactose intolerant. I want to put that piece of cheese on something else.

That piece of cheese could be really good on a slab of roast beef or a slab of whole grain bread. I personally think that cheesy goodness is much tastier on some roast beef. Whole grains taste like cardboard unless you cover them in cheese or sugar, which is how they're often eaten.

So even if you 'can' eat grain why would you if you can instead eat chicken, or nuts, or fruits, or veggies or something equally delicious without the need to flavor it with something?

That's really my prerogative and the reason I went primal. Grains and sugar were ruining my life. Yeah sugar tastes great but it's so utterly bad, and grains don't taste that great and provide no good stuff that I can't get elsewhere and in greater abundance and taste.