Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serial Starter: Help - why can't I stick with it page

adam_devon is offline Junior Member

Serial Starter: Help - why can't I stick with it

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I've started paleo countless times, and feel so good on it. I know I need to make some changes, for my own health.

But, I can't seem to make this a habit, I've done a 30 day stretch, but it always seems to be a cycle of perceived restriction/punishment and then returning to prior habits as a reward.

Can anyone offer some help to get through the first few days/week without returning to sugar, so I can develop the PB lifestyle I want?

Adam

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    What are some of the things you eat when trying to follow the Paleo lifestyle? If you are going super low-carb, you may need to increase carbs in the form of tubers, berries, and the occasional potato. But it's hard to say without knowing what you eat.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

I tend to eat say a 3-egg omelette for breakfast, with bacon, mushroom and maybe a little goats cheese. For lunch I'm often still full - ill have some meat and veg for dinner - either chicken breast or steak. It's the evenings when the cravings hit in.

I'm not sure if its a food quantity issue, or a fat issue - it seems like the more I think I know, and the more you over complicate/ things are over complicated by trying to assimilate different people's paleo hacks, IF, calorie-counting, potatoes, not eating eggs each day - then the more confused I get.

I was attracted to PB, because I didn't want food to be the focus, but now it seems to be more than ever.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    How late in the evenings are these cravings hitting? I know if/when I stay up late, starting around and past 11PM I often start into a new cycle in my brain & hormones & I get hungry. Even after a nice balanced dinner. If its after midnight or even middle of the night (due to career requirements), the cravings can be VERY strong. If you can, try getting up earlier in the morning & getting into bed & to sleep earlier. Also are you drinking a lot of water? Eating this way, in the beginning stages, requires more water than you might be consuming. Water keeps me full plus sometimes I think I'm hungry when really I'm thirsty, ha. Might it be related to any emotional triggers or even boredom? People get hungry for all different reasons...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_devon View Post
    I tend to eat say a 3-egg omelette for breakfast, with bacon, mushroom and maybe a little goats cheese. For lunch I'm often still full - ill have some meat and veg for dinner - either chicken breast or steak. It's the evenings when the cravings hit in.

I'm not sure if its a food quantity issue, or a fat issue - it seems like the more I think I know, and the more you over complicate/ things are over complicated by trying to assimilate different people's paleo hacks, IF, calorie-counting, potatoes, not eating eggs each day - then the more confused I get.

I was attracted to PB, because I didn't want food to be the focus, but now it seems to be more than ever.
    Yikes, it seems like you're not eating much food at all. The types of food are good, but the quantity is way, way lacking and you're missing out on lots of necessary nutrients. You're getting hungry at night because you're eating barely anything during the day!

3 egg omelet + veggies + bacon = maybe 400-500 Calories with nearly no carbs (not even the good, complex ones) and zero leafy greens (which are rich in nutrients and minerals)
    zero lunch = zero nutrients
    chicken breast (boring, not enough fat...) + veg = barely 300 Calories (depending on how many breasts), low in fat, and not many carbs (unless your veg is in abundance and includes greens, tubers, carrots, etc.)

You're not eating enough. You need more fats (chicken legs/thighs instead of breast, add avocado to your omelet, etc.). You need more greens (kale, spinach, regular ol' lettuce, etc.). You need more healthy carbs (tubers, the occasional sweet potato or white potato, berries, etc.).
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Yikes, it seems like you're not eating much food at all. The types of food are good, but the quantity is way, way lacking and you're missing out on lots of necessary nutrients. You're getting hungry at night because you're eating barely anything during the day!

3 egg omelet + veggies + bacon = maybe 400-500 Calories with nearly no carbs (not even the good, complex ones) and zero leafy greens (which are rich in nutrients and minerals)
    zero lunch = zero nutrients
    chicken breast (boring, not enough fat...) + veg = barely 300 Calories (depending on how many breasts), low in fat, and not many carbs (unless your veg is in abundance and includes greens, tubers, carrots, etc.)

You're not eating enough. You need more fats (chicken legs/thighs instead of breast, add avocado to your omelet, etc.). You need more greens (kale, spinach, regular ol' lettuce, etc.). You need more healthy carbs (tubers, the occasional sweet potato or white potato, berries, etc.).
    Yep, I agree! Not eating nearly enough.

I'm 5'7, 185 lbs, 30 yr old female. Very lightly active.
    Yesterday I ate:

Coffee with 35% cream
    5 whole large eggs, scrambled and cooked in butter
    4 strips of nitrate free bacon
    1 green pepper
    water

1/2 small sweet potato
    1 cup raw spinach
    2.5 heaping cups homemade chili (containing ground beef, ground pork, bacon, mushrooms, pablano pepper, tomatoes, onions, garlic, chipotle pepper - very meaty!!!)
    1-2 oz cheddar
    2 tbsp 19% sour cream
    water

Large Chicken thigh
    2 cups of asparagus fried in butter
    1 cup strawberries in 35% cream
    water

I am not very active...

Just as a comparison. Now, I'm not sure how your stats and activity level stack up to mine, but I think you could increase food intake (especially fat and veggies). I have always suffered from night food cravings. I found that an increase of fat helped a lot. Now, no night cravings.
    Last edited by Metric; 02-06-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Canuckgirl is offline Junior Member
    I'm so happy you posted this. I just started going full PB. I took a week to transition to over since I knew that I would have some bad withdrawals. I had some really bad Sour Patch Kids candy cravings for the two weeks prior (would eat to the point that my body would start to shake, sweat and heat up, eek)

I'm worried about falling off the wagon as I have done that so many times before. From what little experience I have, I agree with the others, you're not eating enough.

I always have a big breakfast (eggs, bacon and tomato) sometimes i'll switch the tomato for half a potato as hashbrowns at about 730am, then i'm not really hungry until about 1030 or 11 and I have about 10 almonds just to hold me until lunch.
    Lunch is 2+ different veggies and a lot of protein.
    I'll eat a bigger snack in the afternoon since most days I head straight to the gym after work
    after gym: protein powder and water (low carb protein powder) just so i don't binge eat when i get home
    dinner: again, veggies and protein
    at night if i feel like i need to nibble, i'll eat a few more almonds and if i really need something sweet, one tiny square of dark chocolate.

You need to listen to your body, eat properly when you are hungry, know the signs. If you fall, get back up right away

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Canuckgirl - same goes for you. Where is your fat. It should be spread out throughout the day. I do really well (no migraines and lots of energy) on high fat, moderate protein and low carb. When I first started, I was so afraid to add fat. Don't be, especially in the beginning as your body is learning to transition. Just choose lots of good sources.

Firstly, when I say evening cravings, I'm talking 19:00-22:00.

I think part of the confusion is, having heard of all the low-fat advice - I don't know what and how much fat I should be eating. Where should I be getting it from? Coconut Oil? Avocado?

Also in terms of volume of food, what should I be looking at - trying to drop from 130kg to 100kg.

Thank you,

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    From everywhere - meat, eggs, butter, cream, avocado, olives, coconut etc etc.

You could add a large salad for lunch - green leaves, olives, avocado, chicken or other cooked meat. Dressing of olive oil and lemon juice. Herbs and seasonings.

Alternatively, make extra dinner and eat for lunch the next day.

I am smaller than Metric but I still eat a LOT of food and stay slim (enough, not skinny). Even while in weight loss phase you can still eat quite a lot if it's all nutritious. And when your needs are satisfied you should not experience cravings/hunger.
    Last edited by Annieh; 02-06-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast