Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dinner Party to end all dinner parties..HELP! page

thedannymartin is offline Junior Member

Dinner Party to end all dinner parties..HELP!

Primal Fuel
    Hi Folks

Anyone got any great menu suggestions for a dinner party I am hosting this weekend. My plan is to cook all paleo, but not tell anyone until the end and shock them at just how amazing eating primal can be!

Looking for any input. Maybe a killer main or tapas to die for? Nibbles? Desserts?

You folk are amazing, thanks for any help!

Peace,
    D
    “Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I built my life.”
    - J.K. Rowling

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedannymartin View Post
    Hi Folks

Anyone got any great menu suggestions for a dinner party I am hosting this weekend. My plan is to cook all paleo, but not tell anyone until the end and shock them at just how amazing eating primal can be!

Looking for any input. Maybe a killer main or tapas to die for? Nibbles? Desserts?

You folk are amazing, thanks for any help!

Peace,
    D
    Sounds like fun! How many are you having over, and will you have any hired help to assist? /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

thedannymartin is offline Junior Member
    8 in total, so not a massive number.

I have one able assistant and two children who will chew my ankles and shoot Nerf darts at me whilst I cook!
    “Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I built my life.”
    - J.K. Rowling

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    There are tons of impressive dishes, from appetizers to desserts, on Chowstalker/Dessertstalker, I've been on there for the last hour trying to figure out what I'm making for dinner.

Anything wrapped in bacon/pancetta is usually a hit. Soups are easy for starters, there are tons of really decadent (and gorgeous looking) yet simple Paleo soup recipes out there. If you're not strict Paleo, Pao de Queijo (Brazilian cheese bread made with tapioca) is yummy and fools many. I find it's easier when cooking for visiting family (non-primal/paleo) to keep to dishes that were already paleo/primal to start with -- roasted chicken, beef roast (or prime rib if you're fancy), steak, taco salad bar (optional tortillas/chips) etc. Pair a meat with a decadently jazzed up veggie dish, and you're set.

Off the top of my head, this would be pretty fabulous.

As an appetizer, I'd prepare oysters Rockefeller - 2 dozen for 8 people to have with drinks is enough to stimulate the appetite. Can be made ahead and baked off in less than 15 minutes. Can't miss.

For the sit-down, you could start with a soup or salad. A simple roasted beet and goat cheese over microgreens with a basic vinaigrette (touch of dill?) is always a good choice. Soup is an easy make-ahead, a curried zucchini can be whipped up in no time.

For the main course, I'd consider roasting off mustard-encrusted rack of lamb to medium rare. I adore lamb, and people who don't are likely the victims of poorly prepared lamb. Alternatively, roasting a nice piece of salmon is the epitome of simplicity. Halved and roasted Brussels sprouts are hearty sweet-savory veggies this time of year, and buttery baked sweet potatoes would make a nice accompaniment.

My favorite Primal dessert is chocolate souffle, but that can be intimidating. If not, bake individual souffles in ramekins to reduce baking time; the intermezzo will allow guests time to digest. Strawberries dipped in dark chocolate or a berry cobbler with Primal topping (and whipped heavy cream) also come to mind.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    hors d' oeuvres: fruit/smoked meat/cheese anti-pasto platter

starter: Soup/broth

main: Butter Chicken or other indian dish (really, this can be any sort of roast meat, the real secret for awesomeness is in the seasonings you use). If you don't want to use rice as the base, shredded steamed courgettes/cauliflower are good substitutes
    OR Roast/Baked/Fried Lamb/Beef/Fish/Chicken with baked/mashed root vegetables and a fancy salad

dessert: Baked bananas/apples topped with cinnamon and dark chocolate, served with cream
    OR Strawberries dipped in dark chocolate
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    For the main course, I'd consider roasting off mustard-encrusted rack of lamb to medium rare. I adore lamb, and people who don't are likely the victims of poorly prepared lamb.
    Sorry to hijack but - I have trouble liking lamb. It's got a strong flavor that I just can't get used to. Is that just lamb, or is that "poorly prepared lamb" and if so what do you do that makes it taste good? Is it all in the seasoning, or is lamb meant to be slow cooked, or what?
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    The thing with lamb is to not overcook it. It should be a beautiful pink in the center. Seasoning is important too, but lamb does really have it's own sort of earthy, herby flavor. I think it's wonderful.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    The better quality the meat is, the less cooked it should be.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    The last dinner party I had I made a smoked salmon roulade with griddled asparagus to start with (really simple - cream cheese, squirt lemon juice, pepper, pinch chilli powder and smoked salmon trimmings in the Magimix, blitz until blended, then lay strips of smoked salmon on a sheet of clingfilm, put the pate in the middle and roll and chill until firm), followed by slow roast pork belly done over root vegetables and garlic, with some broccoli as well, and then I made a dark chocolate mousse for pudding (just melted chocolate, egg yolks and beaten egg whites - no sugar or anything else - very rich and you only need a tiny bit!) with some raspberries on top of each portion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast