Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: horrible breath since started Paleo/Primal

Hybrid View

horrible breath since started Paleo/Primal

Hi there,
    since I started to take control of my health, I realised my breath became horrible in every sense of the word! Even while not in ketosis.
    does anybody have any experience and advice?

Other than dental hygiene, which I'm sure you're already doing, this is what I thought of:
    If you have acid reflux, it will affect your breath. When I had acid reflux, someone told me my breath was 'sour' and that they could smell it from several feet away. (Embarrassing!)
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

For me, chewing on parsley is the only thing that actually works for a while.

Are you eating too much protein, not enough fat/healthy carbs? I seem to recall bad breath is an effect of too much protein.

Make sure that you don't have Tonsilloliths

These things smell worse than anything you can imagine.

If you do have them I highly recommend a tonsilectomy
    ad astra per aspera

Gargle with baking soda and water now and then. Drink baking soda and water a while after a meal at least once a day.

Agreed! I had this when I was in my very early teens (for about 1 yr), got my tonsils out, no problems since. They are absolutely awful! Have you had repeated bouts of tonsillitis? If so, this could very well be the cause.
    Last edited by Metric; 02-06-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    Make sure that you don't have Tonsilloliths

These things smell worse than anything you can imagine.

If you do have them I highly recommend a tonsilectomy
    oh man are you right on that one, luckily i've not had them for quite a while, and definitely not on paleo.
    Wish i knew what cured them, for curiosities sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    oh man are you right on that one, luckily i've not had them for quite a while, and definitely not on paleo.
    Wish i knew what cured them, for curiosities sake.
    The only worthwile cure is a tonsilectomy. Those things are absolutely horrid. If you are prone to them I can't recommend a tonsilectomy more. I had them for a few months 15 years ago after years of chronic tonsilitis. I scheduled a tonsilectomy ASAP - top 5 best things I have ever done; never happened again. An added bonus is that I've only had one sore throat in the past 15 years (used to have really painful sore throats many times a year).
    ad astra per aspera

Are you in ketosis? That's a retched horrid breath. From large amounts of protein, lowered carbs and detoxing the previous crap. Parsley works somewhat, but nothing works better for me than gargling, rinsing and foaming with regular drugstore variety hydrogen peroxide. Don't swallow it. It kills the bacteria of keto breath and any other little bugs your mouth may have. I usually brush my teeth with it once a week, rinse, let it sit in my mouth and foam up for awhile. If it foams, there is infection or bacteria its killing off. It's a good thing. And then finish with a good long throat gargle, spit and water rinse. Fabulous stuff. Cures my ear infections as well. I'm a regular reader of Earth Clinics site and always try a natural remedy first before letting a doc write me a prescription for more poison.