Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So which is it? page

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

So which is it?

I am seeing a lot "eat less and you will lose weight" I know its not as simple as that.

But then you have the others around here saying eat too little and your body will go into starvation mode, and hold on to the fat.

If I search I know ill find science for and against both ideas.

What is YOUR experience?

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    From several years of always trying to eat less I always either maintained or gained. On primal, and stuffing my face I have been steadily losing bodyfat.
    So maybe I eat fewer calories now, who knows. I don't need to count, so I don't. Didn't count before either, as I've always found it to be a hassle.

thats interesting thanks

So are you 100% primal and just eat when hungry?

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I think people vary, and also the psychology of weight loss has to be individualized.

For myself, I'm not a calorie counter, food weigher, or portion controller. I lose weight on Primal Blueprint because the types of foods I'm eating satisfy me and have normalized my hunger. I'm not spiking my blood sugar all the time with grain, and losing weight is almost effortless.

Other folks here say they don't lose weight unless they employ some sort of control- calorie counting or weighing their food and then inputting it into some computer program. I've even read that some people start out like me but then later as they get closer to goal they have to start calorie counting in order to keep it going.

So I really think it varies. I would try just eating PB to start with and see what happens. If you don't lose weight naturally (assuming you have some to lose) then you may have to start doing some sort of calorie counting.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

ConnieSB is offline Member
    I personally don't buy into the starvation mode thing. In my OWN personal experience, the only time I lose fat is by counting calories, even eating Primal, but that's just my experience. I'm 52 yrs old, with desk job and even though I lift heavy things and do mild cardio consistantly, it's still not enough to create a calorie deficit for ME. Counting calories is a pain sometimes, but I've finally excepted the fact that I have to, I'm ok with that.

I am not new to PB. (Just back to it, after 6 months of going back to SAD and bingeing, and gaining nearly 20 kg)
    Counted a bit in early jan but it really makes me stressed when I do it each day.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Same with me Connie. I need to cut calories - however I am trying within those calories to keep fat high, protein moderate and carbs low.
    Hey its working for me this week - so I will stick with it next week
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I can eat as much primal food as I like without gaining weight. Right now I don't count anything.

To lose weight I cut carbs.... period.

When I set my macros and was tracking for a few weeks it was set at 1300 cal, 10% carb/20% protein/70% fat.

Now I have a rough idea of what I eat. Some days its even less, as I just don't need to eat as much.

Always primal foods.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I can eat as much primal food as I like without gaining weight.

To lose weight I cut carbs.... period.
    I eat very little carbs. Some days none.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast